Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm thinking about the Mercedes Metris van as a camper conversion. Not much information available on who's doing the conversion and if anyone is manufacturing camper parts for the metris (eg bed, roof racks, cabinets, etc). Any help or pointers to places where folks are talking about this is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I used Santa Rosa Mercedes to purchase the vehicle and nearby GTRV (gtrv.com) for the conversion. Very happy with both businesses

·
Registered
50 Posts
I also used mb of santa rosa and gtrv. There is a metris group on fb and also a metris camper group with diy and van upfitter examples.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I used Keystone out of Eugene, Oregon. A little bit more expensive but they use SCA pop tops, Reimo bench system, and corian (never warp or get water damage) for cabinetry. Couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I'm thinking about the Mercedes Metris van as a camper conversion. Not much information available on who's doing the conversion and if anyone is manufacturing camper parts for the metris (eg bed, roof racks, cabinets, etc). Any help or pointers to places where folks are talking about this is greatly appreciated.
I'm using Peace Vans Modern, Seattle. My Metris is in their shop right now, getting their Weekender conversion. So far, I've been very pleased and I'm not anticipating anything other than happy days ahead.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Isn't Peace vans doing the factory conversions too?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Isn't Peace vans doing the factory conversions too?
They were selected to do the factory conversion - they are the official partner. I've met with them a few times and when I am ready they will be the ones I use. Super nice team, very professional and as they explained it, they have had to retest and redo a lot of stuff to meet the Mercedes quality and sfety standards...things they were told were fine for the US market ended up having to be tweaked. I heard they just finished their 100th metris conversion.

You can rent from them too. Very cool.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Picked up a Peace Vans Modern 2020 full camper conversion in January. Great people to work with, very happy with both van and conversion. Only complaint is that the pandemic has limited my camping opportunities.

Jim

·
Registered
557 Posts
Easy GML, can't even park most places on the left coast.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm in Portland and thinking about the Metris camper. I have been waiting for a 4matic version for a couple of years and watched the GTRV, Reimo, and a couple others start to gain market traction.
The Peacevans option looks good given their strong relationship with MB and the proximity to my home town.

I have been thinking of a dual sliding door camper to be able to camp on the beach in Baja with both the doors open, and I like the hatch on the rear better than the barn doors. Although the barn doors are a cool option.

I have had at least one Westfalia camper van or more my entire life and am now in my mid 50's. The VW is not an option anymore and I am looking for a camper I can drive into retirement with that can last 20 years and be more reliable than the old VWs.

We have owned a number of MB cars including E and G class vehicles and am currently using one of my LWB Gs as a camper as well, but SUV camping is in no way as nice as a good van set up. I find the Sprinter to be too large to use as a DD, so that is out. The lack of diesel or AWD on the Metris is something I was hoping would change in the last couple of years, but maybe that is unlikely. I really don't care that much about gas vs diesel, but a 6 cyl cdi motor would be sweet. I have been looking at these down at the dealer since 2017 and am feeling like it could happen soon once I sell a couple of other cars and make some room for a new campervan finally.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
A 6-cylinder is not going to happen; I do not think the W447 could easily accommodate the OM656, and 282bhp/443lb-ft would be entirely excessive- the gas four is really quite spritely with 74bhp and 185ft-lb less- the power curve is really quite remarkable. The performance of the OM654q in the Vito 124CDI (236bhp/369ft-lb) four cylinder would make it a monster. I would be surprised if a diesel came in this generation.

It is possible that next years model will have the newer gas engine (M264), and that may come with a modest power bump- it is also possible that it will come with a power reduction, as with the Sprinters 188bhp M274 (vs the Metris’ 208bhp M274). In any case the Metris moves with an alacrity and grace that shames the T4 VW Eurovan, and knocks the rest of American market vans into a cocked hat.

The AWD system used on the Vito is specifically designed to work with the Diesel engine. Given that the W447 is about halfway through my guess of its lifespan (~12 years), and Mercedes doesn’t seem to grasp that AWD would be a popular high-priced option (about $6k would be my guess if it were to come) I would eat that cocked hat we just knocked those vans into if it showed up before the next generation.

Mercedes is very worried about conflating it’s luxury perception in the US and it’s (not very luxurious) vans, and the Sprinter to some extant and especially the Metris has been deeply hobbled by that fear- and it will continue to be for the foreseeable future.

I had a friend who bought a Sprinter 3500 177EXTto replace his 14ft Isuzu box truck. He had a Dodge Caravan that up to that point had been his daily driver; he so preferred the Sprinter that the Caravan became relagated only to situations where he needed a height clearance compatible vehicle- otherwise he just drove the Sprinter. The Metris is not under 6’ either (it doesn’t fit in many parking decks!) so I tend To suspect that with its surprisingly tight turning circle, good handling, and excellent visibility (better than the Metris due to superior mirrors, actually) the 144” low-roof Sprinter might serve you better than you think.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the assessment. I guess the turbo I-4 has plenty of power and the car is a lot lighter than many with the V6 cdi. I am not a fan of the larger cargo vans although the low roof version has been tempting as you suggested. I really like my VW T2 camper and the Vanagon was super functional as well. Plenty of room for me and even sufficed when we had a family of five travelling with our dog on camping trips too. The only reason I can think of waiting for another year would be if the AWD became available. Sounds like slim chances of that. I first test drove the Metris in 2017 and spoke with the local dealer about a possible AWD version in 2018 or later. Obviously this has not happened which is fine.

I have a friend that spent big on a Sprinter camper to only see the release of the AWD version the next year which really bummed him out.

I think I will go up to PeaceVans and talk with them in the next few weeks. Ideally, I would order up a panel van and do some minor mods on it before dropping it off for the conversion. The owner there looks like a mellow dude. I have dealt a lot with Lucas at GoWesty who is more of a slick talking pushy sales guy. One of my neighbors in Calif has a GTRV Metris camper that is inspiring me to leave the wrenches at home.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I bought a GTRV conversion in 2016 and ordered the van through nearby (near to GTRV) Santa Rosa, CA MB. They gave me a great price--said it was fleet discount because they were expecting to sell more than a few Metrises thru GTRV. I'd recommend Santa Rosa MB for customer service and honesty. When the Metris arrives in Santa Rosa, MB ships it across town to GTRV to get started with the conversion. And I love the GTRV Westy-type conversion. Just can't beat it for van camping. This is my 4th camping van over about 5 decades (VW, Dodge, Ford, MB) and definitely the GTRV Metris is the most fun to drive and camp in.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I did my own conversion. Slide out side bed (44’ wide) w 4’ counter- table folds up in front of the passenger side door, sink and microwave(;we use a one burner propane camp stove).
Just a cheapie 120 V dorm fridge with a scond battery and inverter and best of all, a Flushing toilet with a 10gal holding tank that it sits on top of ( Dometic 711M-28 model)
Total cost - Under $4K.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm in Portland and thinking about the Metris camper. I have been waiting for a 4matic version for a couple of years and watched the GTRV, Reimo, and a couple others start to gain market traction.
The Peacevans option looks good given their strong relationship with MB and the proximity to my home town.

I have been thinking of a dual sliding door camper to be able to camp on the beach in Baja with both the doors open, and I like the hatch on the rear better than the barn doors. Although the barn doors are a cool option.

I have had at least one Westfalia camper van or more my entire life and am now in my mid 50's. The VW is not an option anymore and I am looking for a camper I can drive into retirement with that can last 20 years and be more reliable than the old VWs.

We have owned a number of MB cars including E and G class vehicles and am currently using one of my LWB Gs as a camper as well, but SUV camping is in no way as nice as a good van set up. I find the Sprinter to be too large to use as a DD, so that is out. The lack of diesel or AWD on the Metris is something I was hoping would change in the last couple of years, but maybe that is unlikely. I really don't care that much about gas vs diesel, but a 6 cyl cdi motor would be sweet. I have been looking at these down at the dealer since 2017 and am feeling like it could happen soon once I sell a couple of other cars and make some room for a new campervan finally.
I’m in Portland doing a camper conversion on a 2020 Metris utility. Contact me if you want to swap ideas, have a look, etc,,,
Jeff at 970-443-3656

·
Registered
4 Posts
Coachworks for me too. Here's an 18 minute video tour of it
Enjoyed your video. Very impressive! I have a conversion scheduled with Keystone for March 2021. I am curious about the type of portable AC that you used and how you vented it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Enjoyed your video. Very impressive! I have a conversion scheduled with Keystone for March 2021. I am curious about the type of portable AC that you used and how you vented it.
I put a link in the comments to all my manuals including AC.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts