Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/mercedes-benz-vans-to-invest-around-500-million-in-new-van-plant-in-south-carolina-us-2015-03-06

The United States is one of the most dynamic van markets in the world. At the same time, Mercedes-Benz Vans currently faces high U.S. import duties and a complex disassembly process of Sprinters made in Germany for sale in the U.S. The new plant and the vehicles 'Made in USA' will enable the company to more economically meet the growing demand from North American customers in the future and to considerably reduce delivery time on this market.

Mercedes-Benz Vans pursues a dual-brand strategy in the U.S., where it offers the Sprinter as both a Mercedes-Benz and a Freightliner-branded vehicle. Sprinters of both brands will also roll off the assembly line at the future plant in Charleston. Besides the Sprinter, the Mercedes‘Benz Vans division will also add the Metris series of medium-sized vans to its product range in the U.S. beginning in fall this year.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I joined BenzWorld.org and found out that the MB Charlotte plant is definitely happening. I did some googling this morning and found they broke ground on July 28, 2016. Google mercedes benz charleston sc for details. Looks like they will be rolling out both Metrises and Sprinters by the end of the decade (three to four years). Hopefully they will see fit to include the OM654 as an option. Obviously this will avoid the chicken tax. I wonder if I can wait that long :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
I went and took a tour of the assembly plant here in Ladson, SC before I purchased my passenger Metris. They showed me the expansion they are doing there and they are doing a lot. I work one of the most well known manufacturers of turbo chargers and was able to use that as an excuse to do the tour. The passenger Metris is shipped already assembled from Spain, so it is more solid from not being torn down by a third party, shipped in different lots, then reassembled again once in Ladson. So it will be nice to get that same boost in quality for the cargo version!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts