Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts
Hopefully it gets darker soon :)

One comment regarding the black ground wire. It probably could use some protection where it goes through that hole in the frame. I would put some type of rubber grommet in that hole to prevent chafing ...

Discussion starter · #24 ·
Hopefully it gets darker soon :)

One comment regarding the black ground wire. It probably could use some protection where it goes through that hole in the frame. I would put some type of rubber grommet in that hole to prevent chafing ...
I think that would be a good idea. I plan to insulate the wire at some point. I have it zipped tied where it will not move but I still think its a good idea to add some type of protection. I will do this at a later date.

Yea, no. Like the reindeer. Nose so bright?
I am surprised that I like it! Thanks to @derkunstler for the great install notes. If I ever want some exterior bling I'll know how to do it! I'll confess I did buy Ali plasti-steel round vent covers, so I am not a bling snob. Also, the $45 Imac hood bra is tempting compared to the terrawagen deflector at $150.

Reactions: derkunstler
Certainly leads with the brand. Almost overshadows the style of the moped. Too bad the Usps doesn't have a light up eagle. I get Amazon deliveries at midnight on Sundays from usps. Rudolphing the postal van would sure align with their old creed.

A switch would be nice. I so want it to change colors. Red for the holidays. Flash to the bass. Mood ring type awareness. Sync with the horn. Color code fuel level so when you unlock in the driveway you know if you need to fill on the way. Interior temp for those with remote start. Heart beat. Strobe at kid pickup. Opposite flash of hazards...

Discussion starter · #31 ·
Certainly leads with the brand. Almost overshadows the style of the moped. Too bad the Usps doesn't have a light up eagle. I get Amazon deliveries at midnight on Sundays from usps. Rudolphing the postal van would sure align with their old creed.

A switch would be nice. I so want it to change colors. Red for the holidays. Flash to the bass. Mood ring type awareness. Sync with the horn. Color code fuel level so when you unlock in the driveway you know if you need to fill on the way. Interior temp for those with remote start. Heart beat. Strobe at kid pickup. Opposite flash of hazards...
The Moped is a 1978 JC Penny Pinto, manufactured in Austria by Puch and Kromag. Puch was a sub division of Daimler. Daimler made mopeds in the late 60's, 1970s and early 80's under the Brand Puch. I got a Daimler to transport my Daimler made vintage mopeds and books. It's pretty neat.

Discussion starter · #33 ·

The Chinese advanced version!

Discussion starter · #34 ·
ILLUMINATED STAR INSTALLATION PART 3:

Now for the Controversial, Why'd I do it?

Having lived in central europe for some time I am well familiar with the V-Klasse series and other makes of euro vans. When I heard that a variation of the Vito would be made availabe in the usa. I became very excited, given the specs, to know that for once, a van with some performance would be made available. In contrast to the usual ugly, under powered rubbish that Americans get in the form of 'vans'. The Vito variant would be a great addition to the Sprinter and I guess soon the US version of the Citan. Sadly in the usa, many people refer to Inflated stationwagons as "mini vans". These so called mini vans are basically fat cars with high ceilings and a lot of bells whistles to make it look like you are getting a lot for your money. I kind of see them like cheap PC's. A million usb ports but very poorly made. Despite some of them having V6's, their performance leaves little to be desired.

Fools like Doug Demuro and other Mercedes haters who follow his hate rant on the Metris seem infatuated with keeping the hate up by attacking the Metris on everything except things that really matter. Like engine, reliability, etc. Their rants tend to revolve around the lack of folding seats, etc.. The Metris passenger is a Transporter or Mini Bus. It was not designed with football moms in mind. It is an excellent go between some comfort and a cargo bus. I got the Metris because it is an excellent choice for our company. We transport Mopeds and Books. I would not feel comfortable sticking smelly 2 stroke mopeds inside of a full on luxury car. The V-Klasse is not cheap, however a lot of haters like to call it that. I fail to see how they are unable to see the cheapness in KIA, TOYOTA or CHRYSLER. Weird. Anyhow, we also do a fair number of high profile events. Recently we were in South Beach Miami for an Art Basel, Auto Design vip press event with Fabio Lamborghini and Malcolm Bricklin. Mind you, there wasn't a Connect, Sienna or Pacifica in sight. Yet there were certainly a number of exotics, G-Wagons, Sprinters, M3's, 5 series, Bentlys, Rolls and more around. My V-Klasse fit right in and looked stylish, classy and cool. I don’t think a Sienna or Pacifica would have made much of an impact. I received several compliments for my Mercedes and comments from some deutsch people who didn't know that the V-Klasse was even available in the usa.

Some people like to say that it's just a "work truck". No *hit, yes it is but if they actually spent any time in the eu they would know that its everything. They’re literally a million variations of Sprinters and Vitos. There is an AMG version, a Brabus version, a cargo, a long cargo, taxis, police wagons, etc... Anyhow, the point they try to make is that its less than. In their ignorance they make an attempt to put the van down. I have received a few hateful comments from some people about my van. These people are Mercedes haters and so they have to come up with some sort of underhanded comment. Often times I am told that "diesels are low quality and unreliable", I have also been told that my van is, "just a re-badged Pacifica", "overstock" - "because Chrysler and Mercedes are the same company". I was once asked why I put a Mercedes emblem on a Ford Connect. Then this same guy asked me why, " I couldn't afford a real mercedes truck". ?!? And then of course are the ones who tell me that my van only has 120 bhp with a top speed most likely just around 65 mph. Oh yes, and then there is the question of the Turbo charger, which I was told doesn't exist. Along with "flappy paddles that aren't connected to anything, just for looks".

Anyhow, the illuminated star is a big F U to the haters. They hate the van any way so now they can have an even greater reason. It is not a re-badged Pacifica. Now they can be sure of That and kiss my A. I can do the **** as I please and wanted to light up the star because I think it looks cool and its a little bit elegant. It might not be for everyone, to each his own. I love the Vito/Metris and I will cherish and embrace this transporter. DeMuro and other haters can F off. Stick to their Kia's and leave me alone. I am courteous on the road and treat others how I would like to be treated. A lot of these jerks in their Pacifica's, mostly women, get worked up and always try to race or pull some nonsense. OFTEN losing in the end. Anyhow, I put the star on, I like it. Some will, others won't, do what's best for you. Don't be ashamed of owning a Metris and never apologize to jealous fools. The van is well engineered and works well.

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

Automotive tail & brake light Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle Bag

Automotive parking light Grille Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate Vehicle

Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle Wheel Automotive tail & brake light

Car Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Wheel

Attachments

Discussion starter · #36 ·
We clearly run in different circles. I've had no haters. Mostly people want to know how to get one.

Might get you more haters, but I think the lighted star suits you.
The haters have been in very small numbers but there are a number of factors involved that are specific to the situation. Location, disposition, physical appearance and more.

I love the star and yes I do agree, it suits the van quite well. Lots of people ask about the van all of the time.

Discussion starter · #37 ·
The haters have been in very small numbers but there are a number of factors involved that are specific to the situation. Location, disposition, physical appearance and more.

I love the star and yes I do agree, it suits the van quite well. Lots of people ask about the van all of the time.
I work in the motion picture film industry and media.

For what it's worth, with unpainted bumpers, the grille can't be removed.
I like the unpainted bumpers so much that I replaced my painted bumpers with them.
I thought I'd paint the bumper when I first got mine, but now 6 years later I'm glad I didn't. My front end has small 'rock dings' that aren't visible 6+ feet away. I see many painted bumpers will all kinds of debris damage. Though these bumpers do require some 'plastic restore' upkeep.

Reactions: focus805
21 - 38 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.