Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I have camper conversion Metris with a 40A DC-DC converter to charge my house battery.

Apparently, my attempt to tap into the existing positive battery poles was ill-advised. After working for months, the 2 AWG wire connecting completely melted and the converter died. I replaced the converter and it happened again a few weeks later.

What is the recommended way to attached peripherals pulling meaningful amperage to the positive terminal of the under seat starter battery on the Metris? The space is so tight - there isn't room for much.

Thanks for any guidance!

·
Registered
2016 Cargo converted into a camper van
331 Posts
Ouch!

There certainly isn't much space around the start battery so I looked for an alternative. I used the A2 catch just forward of the start battery to install my DC to DC charger. The fuse allocation guide indicates it's for the glow plugs, so presumably for a diesel Vito in Europe.

Here is the thread on my install. Other forum members posted some great info in the thread too so if you haven't looked through it, it might be helpful.

Good luck!

·
Registered
799 Posts
Hi there: That's a pretty scary melt/burn under your passenger seat. I would add a breaker or fuse between your starter battery and your appliances first off. Something is pulling enough amps or shorting somewhere bad enough to burn 2 AWG cable. This won't solve the problem, but it will reduce the risk of fire or shock.

My 30A DC-DC charger calls for a 45 A input fuse rating. I used a 100 A breaker immediately after the battery positive, and a 40A ANL fuse before the DC-DC.

Basically, something is pulling a whole lot of amperage through that wire and you need to find and correct that load.

·
Registered
2018 Metris Passenger
313 Posts
Looks like the heating was at the terminal join. Maybe a bad connection/corrosion? With a higher resistance there, it could heat up even at a lower amperage (P=I²R)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Am I seeing things or does that marking on the battery label say “—“ as in negative ???

Hi - I have camper conversion Metris with a 40A DC-DC converter to charge my house battery.

Apparently, my attempt to tap into the existing positive battery poles was ill-advised. After working for months, the 2 AWG wire connecting completely melted and the converter died. I replaced the converter and it happened again a few weeks later.

What is the recommended way to attached peripherals pulling meaningful amperage to the positive terminal of the under seat starter battery on the Metris? The space is so tight - there isn't room for much.

Thanks for any guidance!

View attachment 18930

·
Registered
799 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts