Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was informed by Keystone Coach and Peacevans that they can not install a pop top onto the roof of the LWB version Metris, which is what I have.....

It gave me a moment to really evaluate “why do I want a pop top“?

So, I am a solo traveler mostly in the mountains where it will be too chilly to sleep in the pop up bed. I have a very comfy bed behind the drivers seat. I don’t need no stinkin’ pop top!

I bought the right van.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Seems odd, the longer van would just have a bit more roof left after the install of the pop top. Sounds like they haven't done one before and just don't want to risk/try it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi!
I work at Peace Vans - full discolosure. The top we use has been crash tested and certified for the regular wheelbase. There's simply too much liabiity to put it on the LWB. In prep for the release of the Weekender Camper with Mercedes (now called the Getaway), we actually had to undergo even further crash testing - two full chassis worth. We had to make modifications to the supplied top, the installation, the materials used, etc. It was interesting to learn that even thought the manufacturer had tested for FMVSS 216.a and216.d, there were about 20 other parameters and specs MBZ wanted to see. It was certainly eye opening to us to tell them "the top is crash tested" and they came back pretty strongly with..."um, not really".

Manufacturing a top is not for the feint of heart. We work on hundreds of vw westy's a year and it's amazing to see the longevity of those tops. The tops we install, we want to last just as long. Prior to installation we actually prep, repair, prime and then paint each top. The manufacturer doesn't require that, but having worked on so many tops for so many years, it's too risky to not take those extra steps to make sure that top is truly going to last a generation or two. Sadly, we've seen tops from the same vendor installed without those steps taken and their are signs of early wear and damage - granted that's the exception, but you don't want to spend that money and be the exception :)

We would love to see a certified top for the long wheelbase. Knowing what we know now about the testing protocols, we could probably get it approved as well for about 1/2 of what we spent on the current top.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seems odd, the longer van would just have a bit more roof left after the install of the pop top. Sounds like they haven't done one before and just don't want to risk/try it.
Hi!
I work at Peace Vans - full discolosure. The top we use has been crash tested and certified for the regular wheelbase. There's simply too much liabiity to put it on the LWB. In prep for the release of the Weekender Camper with Mercedes (now called the Getaway), we actually had to undergo even further crash testing - two full chassis worth. We had to make modifications to the supplied top, the installation, the materials used, etc. It was interesting to learn that even thought the manufacturer had tested for FMVSS 216.a and216.d, there were about 20 other parameters and specs MBZ wanted to see. It was certainly eye opening to us to tell them "the top is crash tested" and they came back pretty strongly with..."um, not really".

Manufacturing a top is not for the feint of heart. We work on hundreds of vw westy's a year and it's amazing to see the longevity of those tops. The tops we install, we want to last just as long. Prior to installation we actually prep, repair, prime and then paint each top. The manufacturer doesn't require that, but having worked on so many tops for so many years, it's too risky to not take those extra steps to make sure that top is truly going to last a generation or two.

We would love to see a certified top for the long wheelbase. Knowing what we know now about the testing protocols, we could probably get it approved as well for about 1/2 of what we spent on the current top.
Hi!

Manufacturing a top is not for the feint of heart. We work on hundreds of vw westy's a year and it's amazing to see the longevity of those tops. The tops we install, we want to last just as long. Prior to installation we actually prep, repair, prime and then paint each top. The manufacturer doesn't require that, but having worked on so many tops for so many years, it's too risky to not take those extra steps to make sure that top is truly going to last a generation or two.

thanks Harley I understand how those things work. I’ve tried to bring vans into the USA From Asia and Europe. Crash ratings and all that... so I’ve just sat a few years patiently waiting for the Vito to come here. Now I have one and I look forward to a lot of happy adventures..keep up the good work at Peacevans.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Travois puts pop tops on 135" wheelbase vans. CRA is not the only company that can make a pop top. The volume is in 126" Metris because that's what Mercedes chooses to import for passenger vans, so, that is what's available. Although, even at that, there is little volume in Metris anyway. It's clearly the step child to Sprinter. I tell people I bought a Mercedes Metris and they ask, "A what?" I tell them its a van and they jump to Sprinter......... It's even less recognizable than my Promaster City. Maybe the Covid-19 explosion in van popularity will increase the stature of vans as a recreation platform, like in the good-ol-days. 😀

·
Registered
57 Posts
I debated getting the pop top for awhile. I had a vw camper for ~a year and never used the pop top since it was a bit of a pain in the butt to use. Once I remembered that, I decided against it. If I felt compelled to tote the kids on camping trips, I’d definitely do it. Also, my life is less hectic now. So, if I did have it, I’d probably use it all the time and post all over the place about how great it was😁

·
Registered
526 Posts
I have a 135. If there were a very nice pop-top I'd seriously consider doing it, especially for the roughly $10k cost of an installed SCA 152, as I am confident the value will age very well. But the pix I've seen of the top leave a lot to be desired, IMHO.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Focus805, do you mean the fit and finished look from the outside or how they are getting trimmed out on the inside? My issue is that they all seem flimsy compared to folks '85 vw and my 2002 Eurovan weekender.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a 135. If there were a very nice pop-top I'd seriously consider doing it, especially for the roughly $10k cost of an installed SCA 152, as I am confident the value will age very well. But the pix I've seen of the top leave a lot to be desired, IMHO.
Have you met Mike at TravoisUSA in LosOsos? Take a look at his tops for a 135.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Ditto -- my first swivel came from Bellingham, Washington, so I assumed it was grey marketed in from Canada. I am not far down coast of Los Osos. Cool!!!!!!

·
Registered
526 Posts
SLO is a bit of a vanner hub with GoWesty

Reactions: Jeffrey Brown

·
Registered
52 Posts
San Louis Obispo, where Cal Poli U. happens to be. We like to spend time in Pismo Beach, 10 miles away, when it gets cold in Colorado. It's far enough from SF and LA that rooms are reasonable and it's about 65 degrees perfect in February or March. We found Travois USA and Mike, a great guy in Los Osos selling van parts. As a result, we also found that beach area to be very nice with bigger waves and nobody on the beach at Morrow.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts