Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed a few tire sizes these few years, here is what I come up with. The max you can put on the front is 235/50/R18 and the rear is 255/55/R18 or 245/45R19. I had ordered a 235/50R19 for the front, but I not sure it will going to fit or not. I will update later on. I hope this could help some of you guys out.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I would not mix tires sizes. For one thing you can rotate and you to be able to. I put on Michelin defenders and they look larger than one came on it, and it drives great.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Thanks for sharing!

For those considering AT tires, I found a helpful table of tire sizes at Terranger: http://www.terranger.de/WebRoot/Store14/Shops/62914780/MediaGallery/PDF_Download/170809_Reifendimensionen_Vito_639_447.pdf I think moste of these are ~5% larger diameter than OE. Table recommends speedo adjustment (not sure MBUSA will actually do that for us) and lift kit (presumably since their kit includes a steering angle limiter...doesn't sound like anyone has had issue with tire rub though).

·
Registered
2018 Metris Passenger
270 Posts
Thanks for sharing!

For those considering AT tires, I found a helpful table of tire sizes at Terranger: http://www.terranger.de/WebRoot/Store14/Shops/62914780/MediaGallery/PDF_Download/170809_Reifendimensionen_Vito_639_447.pdf I think moste of these are ~5% larger diameter than OE. Table recommends speedo adjustment (not sure MBUSA will actually do that for us) and lift kit (presumably since their kit includes a steering angle limiter...doesn't sound like anyone has had issue with tire rub though).
My speedo reads about 5% high. MB said it was within spec so wouldn't adjust. These tires would solve the problem?

·
Registered
288 Posts
I'm just curious why you guys are going larger on tires? I will say when I went with the Michelin defenders they look more beefy than the handcook tires.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Speedo off +5%? Then I suppose larger tires would, but I don't think that's a good solution unless you want All-terrains also.

For me, AT tires aren't available in the OE size, plus larger rolling diameter is usually smoother (think mountain bike 26" vs 29"ers) and also raises ground clearance. However, I'm reconsidering since these vans aren't really built for trails. Why go plus on street tires: appearance?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm having some traction issues at work sites, anyone know if 225/65/17 will work without rubbing? I want to go with some Bfg Ko2's.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Dinfung, I have 245/50r18 on 18x8 60et wheels from an ML on the rear without rub. May I ask a few questions: 1. what wheels you are using? 2. what brand/model of tire? 3. where does it rub on the front? Thank you

·
Registered
52 Posts
I tried 255/45r18 snow tires on 18x9 et50 wheel did not rub at all at any of the four positions. However, I only had 3mm of clearance between the corner of the tire and the spring perch and about 5mm clearance from the lower wheel well on full lock when in place. I drove it alone, unloaded which made for a very heavy steering effort. I did not drive it with passengers and aborted the combination.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts