Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
TBD
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not trying to slam the Metris Getaway, but the Reimo seat just doesn't leave enough head room.
I'm 5'-10" (178cm) and my wife 5'7" (170cm) and it was not comfortable in the back. Bench or bed, this is really not an option for most of my adult family. I actually think this is unsafe. If we hit a big bump, someone could get the neck wrenched. There seems to be few options for rock and roll beds in the Metris. Anyone know of a better option, for headroom?

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
952 Posts
Yea, I think we covered this in some of your previous posts. What you are finding is what most experience. That seat is good for kids and good for adults when stopped and hanging out with the top up. Did you happen to look under the cushions on that van and see if there was any wood? The newer Reimo have a tad more headroom, but I don't think a massive amount. They eliminated the use of wood so you can spot them. I assume the Getaways got the newer models, but like the top there are rolling updates to the products.

I know you have your heart set on a seat bed from your other posts. I do not know any low options other than all the ones we have discussed to-date. I have suggested alternatives that I guess don't interest you. Folding Vito seats and a bed frame that can fit over the seat. You can get 2 seaters from Metrisseats that fold down. When you fold them down you can easily put something over them. I have a pair of Vito captains chairs that fold and tip forward.

I don't like any of the seat beds because they are terrible seats and terrible beds. Two things I don't want on a trip. I'm over 6 feet.

Maybe you both need to slouch more. All the kids are doing it. I'm joking, but to be fair the shot of one of you is sitting on the seat as a bed which puts you a 90 degrees from the floor. Not seated like driving, but I'm sure it's still cramped. There would be more headroom when leaning back.

·
Premium Member
TBD
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Pounce for all the info, in this post and earlier. Yes. I have considered the Metris fold-down seat you mentioned earlier. I just really like the idea of a traditional rock and roll bed. We could slouch, but our sons are tall and I'd like the option for all of us to ride comfortably. I am seriously thinking about fabricating my own. I may do my own informal pull test. I have unique resources. I'm an engineer and teach at a college that has a welding/fabrication lab, as well as a hydraulic fluid power lab. They encourage us to work on our own projects to enhance our skills. That said, it would take a lot of my time, and I'm not sure it would be the best use of my time.

·
Registered
Metris Cargo 135 2020
375 Posts
Your wife's position reminds me of sitting in the back seat of our Scion iQ for a one hour drive! I had to pretzel in there, sit sideways, slouch, and my head was still touching the roof, felt every bump in the road.

For reference of the maximum clear space in a Metris Cargo 135.
Space measured between floor & roof ribs, standard MB particle board floor & bare ceiling.

B pillar (cargo partition in the way to measure).
First rib: 54 "
Second rib: 53 1/2 "
Third rib: 52 1/4 "
Back door: 48 "

We know safety is important. Rather than starting from scratch. Not knowing the first thing about those particular seats and how they're actually built, thinking back at my older van and its flat steel legs and traditional frames on bus benches, etc ... could the " legs " be shortened to increase headroom?
Whether cut at N inches high, maybe at the middle of their hight, then overlap the cut legs 2 or 3 inches, tack weld, drill and bolt through + then weld together?

While I was working on the van, I had my rolling work stool on the lowest position to scoot around, but I'm not sure of how much clearance I had and how upright I was. Would need to check.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
952 Posts
Thanks Pounce for all the info, in this post and earlier. Yes. I have considered the Metris fold-down seat you mentioned earlier. I just really like the idea of a traditional rock and roll bed. We could slouch, but our sons are tall and I'd like the option for all of us to ride comfortably. I am seriously thinking about fabricating my own. I may do my own informal pull test. I have unique resources. I'm an engineer and teach at a college that has a welding/fabrication lab, as well as a hydraulic fluid power lab. They encourage us to work on our own projects to enhance our skills. That said, it would take a lot of my time, and I'm not sure it would be the best use of my time.
@Travoisvans builds their own or partners on seats. I'd maybe call them with the special request for height. At the very least they can tell you how realistic cropping an existing frame would be. They have a 112cm seat in their conversion. One thing to consider is wheel well clearance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was wondering if we could get exact measurements on this issue. For example:
What is the headroom in the back seat of a stock metris passenger van?
What is the headroom with the Reimo seat/bed?
How much headroom does the Reimo poptop add or takeaway?
How much headroom does the Travois (Rib bed and SCA top have)?
just to make it more scientific.
for example the stock passenger van has 39.6" of headroom in the second row (MB brochure)

·
Registered
Metris Cargo 135 2020
375 Posts
I miss the days that manufacturers just had this stuff posted in every flyer and you could grab it in 1 2 3 ...

The closest I'm getting for information.

·
Premium Member
TBD
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My search for rock and roll seat for the Metris has ended in defeat. I'm convinced that one doesn't exist (to my liking). I know ADF and GTRV make their own, but I can't buy it a la carte. I don't think the lack of headroom of Reimo 3000 is acceptable. The rail systems don't help matters. It would be worth eliminating the rail to gain the headroom. To me, the fixed position isn't ideal, but the nearly 2" in vertical space it consumes, isn't worth the sliding fore and aft. Imagine if a seat manufacturer could be convinced to make a bed/bench ideal for the Metris; would the ability to slide the seat be a must?
Fixed seat position with more headroom vs adjustable with headroom compromised, which would you prefer?

·
Registered
Metris Cargo 135 2020
375 Posts
It may be a manufacturer decision based on customer feedback, that most people would want that feature. While driving, the bench more forward leaving more trunk space. While parked, more to the rear to convert to a bed with the end against the trunk lid. Then we get to access of side cabinetry as we saw in the Travois photos.

·
Premium Member
TBD
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Anyone know the headroom that will be available with the Travois seat (compared to the Reimo)? I measured (not sure of the model) and the lowest part of the Travois seat-to-floor was 18". The Metris stock seat is 14".

·
Registered
Metris Cargo 135 2020
375 Posts
Every time I see that photo, I am really scratching my head; that said seat/bench would pass for allowable passenger seating in a - all things considered - tall Metris / Vito van where we have > 48" of vertical space. When a 6 ft person is not able to sit upright, I think there's a problem. We're not talking the back of a 2+2 coupe, or small SUV coupe, ...

A Grand Caravan has about 38" of vertical space or so total. People fit there fine, which they got because the forward edge is up higher and the buttocks area is down lower, and a bit more back lean on the seatback. Personally I like the old captains chairs better, with a flatter bottom cushion, but I rarely ever was not in the driver's seat, but I think stow and gos are less comfortable for long trips than the old seats. Anyhow.

Are there images of the framework under the bench?

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
952 Posts
Measure your wheel well height in the cargo van. I have a feeling these bed/seats are all going to be designed tall enough to clear the wheel well.

Here is the Travois with what I would call a missed opportunity for more bed space:

This is a PV Reimo seat with maximum utilization of the space:

PV, but cargo based:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi — we’re also waiting on a Weekender conversion with the Reimo seat and the SCA 152 pop top. Would love to get headroom measurements if anyone is willing to share!

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
952 Posts
Hi — we’re also waiting on a Weekender conversion with the Reimo seat and the SCA 152 pop top. Would love to get headroom measurements if anyone is willing to share!
If you don't mind sharing, who's doing it?

·
Registered
26 Posts
For reference of the maximum clear space in a Metris Cargo 135.
Space measured between floor & roof ribs, standard MB particle board floor & bare ceiling.

B pillar (cargo partition in the way to measure).
First rib: 54 "
Second rib: 53 1/2 "
Third rib: 52 1/4 "
Back door: 48 "
Since you said maximum clear space, can we assume these measurements were taken in the center of the floor? I would be interested in knowing what these measurements would be closest to the walls since the roof Is curved slightly.

(My 135 is on order, and I'm trying to do some design work using very rough measurements.)

·
Registered
Metris Cargo 135 2020
375 Posts
Moved some boxes, and this what it measured out as.
My partition is in the way to do the center at the B pillar.

@gregfuller

Note that there is wiring running in upper corners along both sides of the van, so useable height will be a little bit less and there's that open curve at the C pillar ... making for a tricky measurement.

Example:

Notes:

A couple of the beams are flat (where the cargo receives the partition either behind the cabin, or where the European crew model gets it behind the second row), a couple are trapezoid ... none of their holes line up.

Included the wheel well cutout dimensions, as I still had those around.
My wheel well boxes were made with 1 1/2 by 1 1/2 and 3/8 ply ... to the smallest size I could make something structural, without going to extruded aluminum. Lots of interior images in my " Metris Flex " thread where you can preview what the interior of your van will look like, and a couple things you may plan on tackling ;)

Feel free to ask more questions there, to keep this thread more focused on seating :)

So, wheel well wise, it is about 13" H bare wheel well.
As soon as they get boxed in - or if one were to span across for a fixed bed - it quickly becomes 14-15" off the floor ... out of the 48+ " of vertical space.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts