Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the Metris, it drives like a top heavy C class, it has rear wheel drive, paddle shifters, a sport mode (M) on the transmission, traction control that can be shut off and sponge and wipe plastic interior (which everyone always thinks is leather). Unfortunately your everyday Metris in the price range of a “normal” minivan lacks a lot of the gingerbread used to fill up car ads and product descriptions.

Purchasing discussion with my wife:
Me: “Its REAR WHEEL DRIVE so it can be drifted… in theory, it’s got paddle shifters, after it comes off warranty we can chip it for more boost, it’s got a REAL manumatic setting on the transmission, it’s got the biggest front and rear discs with integrated ABS, it comes with 17” wheels and low profile tires, its engine compartment is so open…look I can grab the turbo without opening any knuckles on my hand. Wow the ground clearance is so good you can work under here without a jack…etc.”

Wife: “Rear seat entertainment?…nope; Leather seats?...no but leatherette is easier to clean; Power seat adjustments?...not with these seats but on the bright side they won’t break; heated seats?…sorry not in this one; backup camera?…I think it’s an option on some, but not ours; Navigation?…I think the dealer can add it, but not this one, Stow and go seating?...no but the 3,000 pound bench seats are theoretically removable so we can haul 4x8 plywood; Fog lamps?...no but we do get automatic lights; Reverse sensors?…um no, I think they go with the backup camera, Satellite Radio?...no the Europeans use this other system called DAB and…”

Me: “But don’t worry, I can add most of that stuff myself from the aftermarket or OEM Mercedes parts for the V250d they sell in Europe, so it’s all good.”

In case any of you out there have the same idea I did I will be documenting how the modifications go, specifically in terms of operation, installation and cost. I would consider my auto skill level to be about a 6 on a 5-10 scale. I have replaced transmissions and clutches and engines but never rebuilt an engine from a parts kit or fixed the internal components of a transmission so I should be able to tackle all these projects on my own.

Mission 1, install a backup camera…

·
Registered
248 Posts
Awesome, keep us posted. I have a V class from Mexico, eventhough I haveevery possible option (Except the Moonroof which I ordered but was neglected) There are few things that are offered in Europe that were not available to me. If you end up doing some coding I woud be very interested.

·
Registered
939 Posts
And go ahead and chip this thing. Its definitely a hoot.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
You can add pretty much all of that without touching V-class parts. The only thing you are really missing is soft-touch interior parts... but I would think you wouldn’t want such in your kotzenkinderwagen.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What I really want is the rear package shelf. I am going to a wedding in Sweden this summer and will check with some salvage yards.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts