Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HOW DO I REMOVE THE MAGNETIC DOOR RETAINERS?????

I am a vehicle wrap installer in NC and we have a 2016 Metris here that has the zero degree rear doors. The rear doors fold flat to the sides of the vehicle and have a magnet attached there to hold the doors in place. We have managed to get the actual magnetic plate removed from it's rubber casing and there is a torx head bolt that runs through it. Removed that and the **** thing is still stuck there like the devil. I assume the sheet metal has a cut out that this "pops" into but we can't get it to budge. ANY help or ideas would be helpful. We try to remove as much of the protruding hardware before applying a wrap as it makes a longer lasting product in the end. Cutting around it is the last resort. At a stand still waiting for a Mercedes tech to call me back but not holding my breath for that to be in a timely fashion as I'm sure they are busy.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have no idea how this is configured, but if you are trying to remove a rare earth magnet from its installation in ferrous material, see what the diameter is, guess the thickness and note that these may have a pulling force that cannot be overcome without mechanical advantage. Look it up based on the approximate mass of the magnet. I will tell you that I doubt a person can separate two neodymium magnets the size of a quarter with bare hands other than sliding them apart.

For those who have not fooled around with the magnets, they are rather amazing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The magnetic door retainers

Anyone have any info on this issue? I have the same problem. Wrap installer in KY trying to make a professional install and I can't remove this piece. From the looks of the piece it resembles a compression anchor but I can't seem to get the center piece to budge. Any hep would be very appreciated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
mercedes magnet removal

I was wondering how you ended up removing the magnets, I have the same issue. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks . Andrew Bruno 3145376441

·
Registered
483 Posts
HOW DO I REMOVE THE MAGNETIC DOOR RETAINERS?????

I am a vehicle wrap installer in NC and we have a 2016 Metris here that has the zero degree rear doors. The rear doors fold flat to the sides of the vehicle and have a magnet attached there to hold the doors in place. We have managed to get the actual magnetic plate removed from it's rubber casing and there is a torx head bolt that runs through it. Removed that and the **** thing is still stuck there like the devil. I assume the sheet metal has a cut out that this "pops" into but we can't get it to budge. ANY help or ideas would be helpful. We try to remove as much of the protruding hardware before applying a wrap as it makes a longer lasting product in the end. Cutting around it is the last resort. At a stand still waiting for a Mercedes tech to call me back but not holding my breath for that to be in a timely fashion as I'm sure they are busy.
Yes I'm curious also and what is your installer shop in NC?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone know how to remove these?
I am wrapping a brand new Metris and I would like to remove the door retainers.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Nice post REMROD

1 - 10 of 10 Posts