Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my brakes started to feel rough today on my 2016 passanger van and then I noticed a loss of power. I managed to get home fine and when I popped the hood I found the fluid reservoir hanging down like this. After a little digging I found out about the recall.

I've already put the reservoir back in place and the fluid level looks good, although a bit did drain out. None of the mechanics or dealers in town have availability for the next two weeks. The brakes feel better after returning the reservoir to its proper place. I never received a notice from Mercedes and I'm curious to know how much of a time bomb this is.

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive exterior

·
Super Moderator
Metris Cargo 135 2020
1,046 Posts
I would put it back in its place, top it off if needed with approved fluid, call an MB dealer.

As far as not having the recall notice ... NHTSA should have a copy of the notice.

Any evidence it was not properly installed? Gauges or marks on the reservoir?

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I had awful grief getting my otherwise solid dealer to actually perform the recall. Long story short and a meeting with the service manager later, MB's instructions to the techs de-emphasize the actual problem -- the engagement cleats -- by focusing on the plastic retaining rivet. Once I showed the service manager the actual recall issue, they were happy to do the 10 minute job. I had a little stress discoloration on the reservoir plastic so I asked for a new reservoir. The service manager agreed, but I canceled the appointment after figuring that forced gratis work by some poor tech is not what I really want, and the likelihood of failure on mine is very remote as it never fully detached before the recall was performed.

My only advice is to examine the pics of my reservoir (and others' on another thread you can search for) to see whether the misinstalled tabs actually broke off. If so, you need a new reservoir.

Reactions: MrLiverman

·
Registered
2016 Metris 7 Passenger Explorer Conversion Van
9 Posts
FYI, brake fluid is hygroscopic (absorbs water) & should be replaced every 2 years. I have been using Castrol's DOT 4 synthetic fluid since the late 70's. It's compatible with ALL OEM fluids & has a higher boiling point. Correct procedure entails flushing the system from the furthest point. Right rear, Left rear, Right front, Left front.

Most brake hose manufacturers recommend replacing rubber brake hoses every 6 years. I've found Pirtek & Royal Brass & Hose can replicate these hoses if you take them in. I replaced the 4 OEM rubber brake lines on a 60 Rolls Sedan with stainless braided hose for 1/2 of what 1 hose would have cost from England. If you're reasonably handy, this is a job you can do with a set of flare nut line wrenches, + some PB Blaster in an hour or so.

·
Registered
151 Posts
FYI, brake fluid is hygroscopic (absorbs water) & should be replaced every 2 years. I have been using Castrol's DOT 4 synthetic fluid since the late 70's. It's compatible with ALL OEM fluids & has a higher boiling point. Correct procedure entails flushing the system from the furthest point. Right rear, Left rear, Right front, Left front.

Most brake hose manufacturers recommend replacing rubber brake hoses every 6 years. I've found Pirtek & Royal Brass & Hose can replicate these hoses if you take them in. I replaced the 4 OEM rubber brake lines on a 60 Rolls Sedan with stainless braided hose for 1/2 of what 1 hose would have cost from England. If you're reasonably handy, this is a job you can do with a set of flare nut line wrenches, + some PB Blaster in an hour or so.
My service page for Metris brake bleeding shows a sequence of Rt rear- Lft front- Lft rear- Rt front which is counter to normal methods.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would put it back in its place, top it off if needed with approved fluid, call an MB dealer.

As far as not having the recall notice ... NHTSA should have a copy of the notice.

Any evidence it was not properly installed? Gauges or marks on the reservoir?
It's tough to say, there's some discoloration in the plastic that looks to be the result of stress but I'm not sure you could say it was the result of improper installation. Fluid levels look good, about half way between min and max, but I'll probably top it off a bit just to be safe.

Thanks for the advice!

Automotive tire Wood Architecture Sculpture Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had awful grief getting my otherwise solid dealer to actually perform the recall. Long story short and a meeting with the service manager later, MB's instructions to the techs de-emphasize the actual problem -- the engagement cleats -- by focusing on the plastic retaining rivet. Once I showed the service manager the actual recall issue, they were happy to do the 10 minute job. I had a little stress discoloration on the reservoir plastic so I asked for a new reservoir. The service manager agreed, but I canceled the appointment after figuring that forced gratis work by some poor tech is not what I really want, and the likelihood of failure on mine is very remote as it never fully detached before the recall was performed.

My only advice is to examine the pics of my reservoir (and others' on another thread you can search for) to see whether the misinstalled tabs actually broke off. If so, you need a new reservoir.
Thanks for the reply. I spend a fair amount of time driving on old logging roads and suspect that may be partially to blame for my reservoir falling out. I read a bit of that thread and will take a closer look now. My initial concern was whether or not the van could be driven or would need to be towed, the brakes seem to be getting better after it has been sitting for a few days but I'll make a (hopefully wise) decision before my appt on Friday.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passenger
2,204 Posts
If it were me I'd have the brakes bled after the reservoir was remounted especially if you noticed a loss of power.

I have 30k on my van. I had the brake fluid changed at my my last service and it actually made a difference.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts