Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone lose tire pressure quick? I been noticing my tires are dropping pressure fast in the summer. They been check for leaks and there isn’t any. I’m running the stock hankook

·
Registered
84 Posts
You can try filling the tires cold to the recommended pressure and then go thru the "Restarting Tire Pressure Monitor" procedure on page 277 of the manual. I have Hankooks too. I don't think they're leaking but what I'm finding is that the tire pressures, according to the in-tire monitors, show the pressure varying a great deal frequently and it's confusing. Readings from my manual pressure gauge doesn't match the monitors' readings either. I'm in the southwest, so altitude and heat account for some of it.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know in the winter we lose tire pressure. I’m only having this with one tire. I fill it up cold to 44psi and with in days it drop down to 40 meanwhile the other 3 are staying at 44 front and 45 rear

·
Registered
258 Posts
The surest way to tell is to tank test it for leaks. I had one doing the same thing and it was the valve stem, not the valve core, the rubber stem itself had a crack in it. I also had one on another car that was a hard to find screw that the head had worn off. Tank test uncovered it.

·
Registered
181 Posts
one tire of my original set of Hankooks leaked badly at highway speeds - turned out to be a valve stem that was getting deflected at speed and leaking from there. Hard to track down as it didn't leak when not moving and without the centrifugal force...

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
I think oh have what we call in the automotive industry a “leaky tire”. Since you have the hankooks I suggest replacing all four with Michelin Defenders; remember you want a 101 or better weight rating.

·
Registered
84 Posts
A contrary opinion: I've had multiple sets of Michelin tires on various trucks and none have lived up to the price premium. Here in the southwest Michelins seem to be especially prone to dry rot, which greatly shortens the useful life of a very expensive set of tires. Also, I suggest that you don't choose or exclude a brand of tires based on the claims of a trial lawyer or a newspaper story.

·
Registered
259 Posts
If someone could get Mercedes to sign off on a 225/65r17 we would have a huge selection of 102 load rated tires available.

·
Registered
259 Posts
so Upsize with the awareness your speedo would be off. Mercedes isn’t going to parachute in and arrest you for out of spec tire sizes.

You never know I certainly received an unwarranted talking to and print out that I didn't have MB recommended brand tires on the van the last time it was in. Pretty sure they even looked up the tires I had and added a note to my file that I was running the "wrong" tires as well. The service person said it at least 3 times. For the record the tires are 225/55r17 101V XL as specified on page 291 of the owners manual. It's not the first time I've had my dealer telling me the wrong thing. It took me 2 days of back and forth before they actually looked up and decided that there actually was a 30k transmission service on the van. Next nearest dealer is an hour a way.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts