1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I thought at first, but the actual news came from a heavy weight in the RV industry in the USA and Canada. This is just a article link from RV news.

·
Registered
207 Posts
That's what I thought at first, but the actual news came from a heavy weight in the RV industry in the USA and Canada. This is just a article link from RV news.
I think the "heavy weight" content aggregator got took.

The BenzInsider article is a contribution from a guest blogger in the Philippines with sentences that look like warmed-over versions of ones that appeared in the Australian press under career journalist Joshua Dowling's byline.

I don't see any reference in the BenzInsider article to the USA or Canadian market. Or any market for that matter. Even if the Marco Polo does go on sale here someday, that's not what the article is asserting.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Patiently Waiting and Aging Fast

I hope someone in the MB Truck Division is monitoring these threads. There are legions of us Boomers out here who have been patiently waiting for a replacement for the Eurovan and Vanagon in both Weekender & Camper variants. We have the money but no product is available that fits those niches except the 15 year old Eurovans and 30+ year old Vanagons ... take a look at the prices THOSE are commanding! We just don't want a huge RV that would sit around taking up space most of its life. What we WANT is a nimble cool little pop-top van that is fun to drive, lets us sit up high enough to be shoulder to shoulder with SUV drivers and fits easily in our garage (MUST be same size as a Vanagon - or Eurovan ... even a 2017 Pacifica is too big!!!)

ALL of the van manufacturers are leaving the conversion of those vans to the small specialty shops (I have an on-going email dialog going on with one right now for Metris conversion).

I believe their reason is a service issue. Car mechanics are (usually) great at fixing cars, but imagine eyes glazed over when the service manager asks his employee to repair the gas furnace or shower water pump or water leak on the pop-top seal. Just not enough of these vehicles to support the maintenance training etc. for every dealer.

I do sincerely hope Mercedes works out this situation (they DID buy Westfalia-Werke back in 2003). I would buy a Metris Marco Polo TODAY if it were available ANYWHERE in the USA.

My wife and I are heading out to a 3 day Bluegrass Festival this weekend in our 1985 Vanagon Westfalia Weekender. We bought it new back in 1985 and it is STILL the best little weekender vehicle on the planet for the kind of camping we like to do. I do confess it is a fine driver for the secondary roads we like to travel but is NOT the vehicle of choice for the interstates ... and that's the main reason we are looking into a converted Metris ... with a mattress :wink:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"the news came from a heavy weight" the article is an EXAMPLE of what was said... maybe its the wrong example to post, just disregard it. There is also a extra long version coming of the Cargo Metris.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just returned from Germany yesterday and had a chance to check out the Marco Polo Westfalia conversion. Awesome. Have had VW Bullies for decades and now a Eurovan Winnebago camper that needs constant fixing. I would buy the Marco Polo immediately and hope MB decides to bring it to the US.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Would be happy to pay for any us testing by dot carb or the FBI I would love to make deal with the government of Mercedes to bring to USA
They did this years ago with a company that had the rights to the Mercedes's G wagon it was Europe it was bought out by mercedes
I would gladly invest all monies to bring and own those dealerships to have the Sprinter JAMES cooks and Metris / Vito Marco Polo from westfalia would consider owning a US Dealship of Westfalia to build the machine of USA Mercedes deslships
Would be happy to do all testing necessary with Mercedes advice
Mercedes Benz contact Mr Mark Epstein

Thank you
Mark Epstein
818-207-1111

·
Registered
93 Posts
I finally found a more thorough review of the Marco Polo on Youtube. It gives you a closer look at the interior and some of the features of the van. I thought it was interesting and worth sharing.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I like this guy from Poland. That might be the only YouTube video I found that you can get some cons about MP camper. Another one that is not bad is:
, which gives you the opinions from the current VW T6 California Ocean owners.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We want Marco Polo too

We feel the same way! I had an ‘85 VW Westy for 10 years in the 90s. Loved it....but not paying $35K for a 40 y/o vehicle. The Marco Polo is amazing, even if expensive. We’re soooo close to buying a Metris for subsequent Reimo conversion in Santa Cruz. It will end up around $70K...yikes! But we want to go back to minimal camping, no motor home! I even have an idea for a rear bath area that I’m sewing myself. I had previously made a screen room for my old Westy. It’s a tedious process to go through the whole conversion thing. Why isn’t Mercedes bringing in the Marco Polo? They’d sell thousands upon arrival. Grrrrr...

·
Registered
196 Posts
well if we don't have it, we make it :) I think that opening the market for Marco Polo, V class Vito or VW Westfalia camper would be only natural business, but it takes lot of time for politicians in US of A to get the message, so we have an other industry upfitters even though it would be very simple just to buy the parts and assemble it yourself. Same as it was in real estate, nobody else could get the MLS listing but Realtor, same as gas furnace nobody but heating company. It's a way of employment that does not have to exist in that fashion. Now we have upfitters to get the parts, I asked in Germany to buy the popup, no only upfitter, upfitter with certification in US can buy it.
well here is poorman's marco polo :) http://baron-usa.rajce.idnes.cz/poo...oli_Mercedes_Benz_Marco_Polo_chuda_verze_.../ and yes, there will be more of us, who will make their own version, and I hope soon we will be able to get the parts. Its so simple, even the upfitters are esemblers for lots of greenola.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I think the "heavy weight" content aggregator got took.

The BenzInsider article is a contribution from a guest blogger in the Philippines with sentences that look like warmed-over versions of ones that appeared in the Australian press under career journalist Joshua Dowling's byline.

I don't see any reference in the BenzInsider article to the USA or Canadian market. Or any market for that matter. Even if the Marco Polo does go on sale here someday, that's not what the article is asserting.
gottlieb, IMHO I think, that its a hacker that gets paid for advertisement, when I click on the link I get clever advertisement from dealers to buy a car, renogy to buy solar panels I would think, cookies that i have in my computer generate the links in the writeup. Than the one who post it, may have income from clicks onto the ads. As i am writing, just IMHO :-( I have no other idea why I would get ads also. If not for someone other income for clicks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you are looking for an upfitter to turn your Metris Cargo into a "Marco Polo" lookalike, try Keystonecoachworks.net in Oregon. I had mine done in October 2017 and now have over 25000 miles of camping and traveling. I had a 1990 VW Vanagon camper back in the day and it feels like old times. Some may say pricey, but for me it was worth it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I love this! My main problem is I loose the seat versatility of the Metris. Any of these camper vans able to retain 7-8 seats?? We need this to do all!

·
Registered
21 Posts
like a VW Eurovan Weekender

We, like the thedannas (see their 06-22-2018, 12:16 PM post), bit the bullet and spent about $70K to purchase a Metris cargo van and have it converted by TouRig in Golden CO to be like a VW Eurovan Weekender. We owned a '93 & '01 Eurovan Weekender for about 10 years and now love our Metis' reliability, handling and up-to-date vehicle features. We definitely feel it is worth the expense, as we are getting some great use out of it.

Attachments

·
Registered
248 Posts
We, like the thedannas (see their 06-22-2018, 12:16 PM post), bit the bullet and spent about $70K to purchase a Metris cargo van and have it converted by TouRig in Golden CO to be like a VW Eurovan Weekender. We owned a '93 & '01 Eurovan Weekender for about 10 years and now love our Metis' reliability, handling and up-to-date vehicle features. We definitely feel it is worth the expense, as we are getting some great use out of it.

Wait, $70K for the cargo van with the roof, the couch on the back and the little table? That's it? Is it really that expensive?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts