Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

I'm looking for a passenger van that looks nice and is practical. I've got a mid-size family, and between them and driving around their friends and others, the need for lots of passenger space is real.

I've read the the passenger variant will start at $33,495, which is in my price range, but I'm a little concerned options will ratchet the price up awfully quickly.

Looking forward to hearing more about the Metris and discussing it with you guys on the forum.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Colin, welcome to the Metris forums. Great to have you here with us.

Have you considered the Ford Transit Connect Wagon as well? The passenger version is an excellent family carrier -- much better than most SUVs out there IMO.

Ford Transit Connect Wagon Titanium EcoBoost:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have considered it but then when I saw there was a Mercedes coming, I thought that it might be a nicer choice. I'd like something that doesn't feel commercial.

·
Registered
60 Posts
the TC actually is less a commercial van then some of the others. Titanium is Fords top trim. Its actually ridiculously comfortable in there if I do say so myself. But haveing had a sprinter in the past I now what you mean about Mercedes...

·
Registered
160 Posts
Transit Connects are nice and been seeing a lot of them on the road as Taxi's but the Metris looks much nicer of course, always been a fan of MB products and glad to see they're finally bringing this to my market.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
The options do ratchet the price a bit. I just ordered one. I put in only the options I thought I needed. The Comfort package (nicer seats and oddly 2 extra master keys), the efficiency package (cruise control, back up camera, fog lights, nav system), active safety ( multi function steering wheel, all the safety equipment standard on MB sedans), premium appearance package (roof rails, body color trim, alloy wheels), and Eco stop start. I also put in a trailer hitch and the overhead panel.

Yeah, it's pretty much loaded.

you can get an interior appearance package (comfort suspension, carpeting, a few rear passenger convenience items, and pointless chrome trim); I didn't want it because I didn't want a carpeted floor. This Metris is going to double as a work cargo van. If you are going with it as a family hauler, you would probably want it- it's only $690 anyway. There's also auto climate control (which I hate) for $550, and power sliding doors (which I see as pointless) for $1480, and an alarm for $315. Also metallic paint for $900.

Mine came to an MSRP of $40,500 and I managed to get it for dealer invoice (37,792). Pricey? Yeah, but it's the best minivan on the market. Should get combined in the very high 20s or low 30s. All the safety I have bought from Mercedes (previously used to very used) for all my years as a driver. And the long term durability of a commercial van, which is what the Metris is.

The Metris is not a TRansit Connect competitor, or a Fiat Doblo (Ram Promaster City) competitor. Mercedes sells such a vehicle, it's called the Citan, it is FWD and priced about like those vans in Europe. Pricing it against them is not quite fair.

The Sprinter is mid priced in its segment (comparably equipped with a diesel) it sits slightly above the Promaster and slightly below the Transit in price. I suspect that of comparable vans were sold here, this would be likewise competitive.

That being said, if you are looking for a luxury van, this ain't it. Mercedes-Benz stands for engineering excellence, and this van is that. They also sell luxury cars, among a huge product portfolio, also with excellence in engineering, but this isn't one of them.

·
Registered
94 Posts
That being said, if you are looking for a luxury van, this ain't it. Mercedes-Benz stands for engineering excellence, and this van is that. They also sell luxury cars, among a huge product portfolio, also with excellence in engineering, but this isn't one of them.
Right on.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, and I hope you don't have to wait too long for your new Metris.

I'm deciding what to order. I'm probably going to wait for the demo vans to arrive in September before finalizing my decision -- I can wait.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks greenmanedlion for thoroughness. I was looking for price n worthyness of Metris, which you described well.
I will get to dealership to see if they will offer me 0% apr with some down payment. I am not into luxury but needs solid body to last 20years.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Thanks greenmanedlion for thoroughness. I was looking for price n worthyness of Metris, which you described well.
I will get to dealership to see if they will offer me 0% apr with some down payment. I am not into luxury but needs solid body to last 20years.
Did you end up contacting your dealer? Interested in hearing what you have to report back.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts