Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using my 2003 Eurovan for light hauling for 14 years. So, now the time has come to replace her. I live on Long Island and have a couple of Metris dealers nearby. Can any members give me some recommendations for dealers?
Thanks bob

·
Registered
401 Posts
I have been using my 2003 Eurovan for light hauling for 14 years. So, now the time has come to replace her. I live on Long Island and have a couple of Metris dealers nearby. Can any members give me some recommendations for dealers?
Thanks bob
Long Island Ny? If so go talk to Alex she was awesome at Mercedes of Rockville center.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys.
I am in contact with Alix at MBRVC. She seems to know her stuff.
Has anyone dealt with Rallye Motors? They are closer to me.
Bob

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks bob
My husband was just at Mercedes-Benz of Smithtown on Long Island today about a used 2016 model which popped up for sale over the weekend. We put a deposit on it, but so far I'm not sure I'd recommend the dealer.
They are discouraging a trade-in, and it sounds like this dealer may even be giving us problems with buying the Metris under my better credit, as opposed to my husband's. All because I am unable to travel that far and to sign in person (my disability makes it extremely difficult for me to travel which is, ironically, a main reason I decided on the Metris for myself and my large-size scooter). It feels rather discriminatory given that everything else can do business over the internet and fax with no issues.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I am sorry to stick my nose into the personal aspects of this thread, but I can't help but think that a person too disabled to travel the distance to the dealer needs a real accessibility van.

These are sold used here when they get 100k on the clock or whatever and they will come with a hydraulic lift and ramp access usually. I see both E-250's, E-350's, and E-Series Cutouts. They are cheap.

Municipal and private disposition sales. Has to be the same in NY.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
I personally have a rule: never give business to anyone who does not seem to want it.

I have been the owner of various retail businesses over the years, and unless you are a business that thrives on exclusivity (that would not be a car company that sells 350k units a year here), one thing you do is always make it easy for the customer to buy. Cash? Lovely! Check? Sure, just let me see your ID. Credit card? Yeah, they charge me 2.75% but I'll take 97.25% of it if you'll buy it. Government purchase orders? **** straight.

Yes I take returns, yes I deliver, and frankly it is satisfaction guaranteed or your money back. Because I want you to buy again and again. There is something wrong with a dealer who wants to be difficult. They are going to make some money when they sell you the car, and thousands in maintenance and repairs down the line. This is the part where they are supposed to be bending over backwards to get that long term payout. If they aren't, it really is in your best interest to go elsewhere.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am sorry to stick my nose into the personal aspects of this thread, but I can't help but think that a person too disabled to travel the distance to the dealer needs a real accessibility van.
I'd been researching for the last few years before deciding that Metris or (full-sized) Transit is the only option, and I didn't care so much for the Transit. The most difficult obstacle is that conversion vehicles always lower the floor. We require a tow hitch and good towing capacity which just doesn't work w/lowered floors.
We've had a Saturn Outlook (which we had to increase the tow capacity of) for over 10 years now. It's just big enough for my scooter in back and I need to pad the 2nd row seat in order to tolerate longer rides, but the trip to this dealer for pick up will probably be 4 hours and may have to involve the train and ferry because it doesn't looks like we're going to do a trade in. My husband is working at that end of the state this week. Regardless, there is no way I am putting myself through all that just so I can sign the contract in person. People do buy cars via fax and internet nowadays.
The Metris will allow him to put rubber blocks under the custom seat I'm ordering.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I personally have a rule: never give business to anyone who does not seem to want it.

I have been the owner of various retail businesses over the years, and unless you are a business that thrives on exclusivity (that would not be a car company that sells 350k units a year here), one thing you do is always make it easy for the customer to buy. Cash? Lovely! Check? Sure, just let me see your ID. Credit card? Yeah, they charge me 2.75% but I'll take 97.25% of it if you'll buy it. Government purchase orders? **** straight.

Yes I take returns, yes I deliver, and frankly it is satisfaction guaranteed or your money back. Because I want you to buy again and again. There is something wrong with a dealer who wants to be difficult. They are going to make some money when they sell you the car, and thousands in maintenance and repairs down the line. This is the part where they are supposed to be bending over backwards to get that long term payout. If they aren't, it really is in your best interest to go elsewhere.
This case is unfortunately rather exclusive at this time. This is the only Metris with both our definite requirements (comfort suspension and trailer hitch) anywhere near us and a new one won't fit within our budget for another year and more. This would have been SO MUCH easier if there wasn't so much BS with the trailer hitches.

They aren't making all that much money because its a used listing (5k miles on it), and we will have to do any maintenance and repairs at our far closer MB dealer.

·
Registered
22 Posts
We have dealers here, right? Is it true that Mercedes Benz policy is against using notaries? Do they NEVER accept a purchase unless the buyer is physically present to sign?? Something sounds real fishy to me here especially after the salesman confidently assured me over the phone they could work something out if I needed to put it the vehicle in my name. :sigh: How much should I try to talk him down off $33k if I decide to pay by cash? $5k? 3?

·
Registered
302 Posts
We have dealers here, right? Is it true that Mercedes Benz policy is against using notaries? Do they NEVER accept a purchase unless the buyer is physically present to sign?? Something sounds real fishy to me here especially after the salesman confidently assured me over the phone they could work something out if I needed to put it the vehicle in my name. :sigh: How much should I try to talk him down off $33k if I decide to pay by cash? $5k? 3?
I bought mine all online. They fed ex'd all the Paperwork and i signed and returned. Find another dealer!!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I bought mine all online. They fed ex'd all the Paperwork and i signed and returned. Find another dealer!!!!
I would, but its a used Metris with a particular set of options we need. I can't believe the finance guy is pulling this crap. I think we'll talk to the salesman tomorrow about a cash sale, though I hate to do it. The salesman, at least, didn't seem too bad. The upshot to the OP is not to deal with Mercedes-Benz of Smithtown on Long Island.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I would, but its a used Metris with a particular set of options we need. I can't believe the finance guy is pulling this crap. I think we'll talk to the salesman tomorrow about a cash sale, though I hate to do it. The salesman, at least, didn't seem too bad. The upshot to the OP is not to deal with Mercedes-Benz of Smithtown on Long Island.
IDK mine was new. So maybe that's the difference or the finance manager want's you in the office so he can sell you a bunch of extra's. :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
IDK mine was new. So maybe that's the difference or the finance manager want's you in the office so he can sell you a bunch of extra's. :D
Maybe, but the salesman told me none of this would be a problem. The finance guy is the one that feels like a used car salesman. I'm tired of feeling like we're being given the runaround.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
1) dealers make more money on used cars than new ones. A lot more.

2) I love Mercedes but have you considered Mobility Ventures MV-1? It's custom designed for wheelchairs, has a ramp built in, is a body on frame design built by AM General, and uses fairly basic Ford running gear (cheap and easy to fix- certainly more so than a Mercedes). It should be able to tow just fine.

It is nowhere near as refined, or good handling as a Metris. But it might suit you better and is available used. And I'm sure it can tow- I've seen one towing a 30' trailer.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts