Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Metris Owners. I've never joined a forum before, but I am looking at buying a metris (2016?) so I joined this one (hope that doesn't make me an interloper, as I don't actually own one yet). I've been perusing the topics and it appears that folks have only a number of similar minor problems with their vehicles. I was curious about how satisfied you all feel with your purchase. It would appear that most seem happy with their metris. This will be, by far, the most I've ever spent on a vehicle and I want to get it right. To give you an indication of what this means, I own a 1996 volvo 960 and a 93 t-100 pickup. I own a bakery and will use it for deliveries in a 30 mile range, but also wanted something I could ultimately kit out and travel around some in(sounds like I'd want to keep an eye on the gas gauge if I do that). Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Overall I am very happy with my purchase. However my expectations were based on a long history of owning European cars and Mercedes-Benzes in particular. Owning a Volvo I am sure you are aware that they are not trouble free in the way that a Toyota used to be.

So long as you don't expect it to be completely trouble free or inexpensive to service (although I found it is actually about the same cost to maintain over 45k as a Toyota Prius- although obviously much more expensive to fuel), and that you understand this is a very nice commercial vehicle- and not a luxury car- you will likely be very happy with it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
It's a great vehicle but your dealers attitude toward the Metris will effect your ownership experience. My selling dealer was good but several hours away so service there is a stretch. I've been to two local dealers for parts and service and neither made any effort to keep me as a customer. I've recently tried a third regional dealer and so far they seem engaged and responsive so hopefully they're a keeper.

I think some dealers just see the Metris as a nuisance they'd rather not deal with. They know little about the vehicle and care little to develop relationships with their owners. I wish Mercedes had established separate dealerships for their commercial vehicles, and maybe that's in the cards some day, but for now it seems hit and miss. If your dealer seems willing to answer questions, allow ample time for inspection and treat you like a valuable customer you're probably going to love the Metris. If they give you the effete' French Concierge affectation you're going to dread every service appointment.

Vehicle gets a B+. Ownership experience so far gets a charitable C-
I've owned half a dozen GMC trucks, a couple VW's, two Audi's and a continual lineage of Camry's dating back 30 years and I'm shocked how poor Mercedes service attitude has been.

Good luck

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a 2016 Metris cargo van. If you haven't taken a test drive yet, do so. Drives very nice. If you can find a 2016 that you like make a low bid plus there is a cash back available. 2017 is here and the Dealers want the 2016's gone. My Dealer was brand new with selling the commercial vans, but they are fully into it. They aren't a knowledgeable as they should be with the details, but they are building on to their repair area to accommodate the Sprinters, and Metris.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. I think owning the volvo definitely preps me for a mercedes... like a bad mistress... lots of money but so sweet I can't seem to let it go. I've looked at the transit connect type vans and they seem smaller than what I want, but the larger 150 types seem like overkill. The metris seems to fit the niche I'm looking for... just never pulled the trigger on that big a ticket. Thanks again.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I am in the same boat as you. Have to decide between the Transit and the Metris. The transit is just a tad to small for my needs but the local MB dealers are not really into selling a van. Very frustrating!!!! I need to make up my mind soon. Plus the Transit can be had for $12000 less. That is a lot of money and a lot to think about. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I am in the same boat as you. Have to decide between the Transit and the Metris. The transit is just a tad to small for my needs but the local MB dealers are not really into selling a van. Very frustrating!!!! I need to make up my mind soon. Plus the Transit can be had for $12000 less. That is a lot of money and a lot to think about. Good luck with your decision.
The Metris is 8000 off sticker. I paid less than $25,000 for mine. Where is this new Transit connect for $13,000?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Love my Metris. Transit Connect is a POS.

Be sure to order the Cold Weather Package and the power mirrors. Insist on a convex passenger mirror. They got mine in one day and swapped it on my new van.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I heard transit connect are not reliable, check the reviews before you buy. I own the cargo Metris, Great van, I put 10k on it in 3 months and no problems.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The Metris is 8000 off sticker. I paid less than $25,000 for mine. Where is this new Transit connect for $13,000?
Good luck finding one in SoCal for $8000 off of msrp on a 2017. All the 2016 are equipped with crap I don't want and not with the stuff I need and want. MSRP the way I want it is just short of $35000. If you are lucky the dealer will come down $2000. No incentives on 2017 yet.

The Transit can be had for less than $20000 all day long. Now you do the math...........

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just bought 2 Metris Passenger vans in So Cal, loaded, msrp was $45k, paid just under $42k OTD. That worked out to be about $6500 off msrp.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I heard transit connect are not reliable, check the reviews before you buy. I own the cargo Metris, Great van, I put 10k on it in 3 months and no problems.
As an owner of both I can offer you this:

Transit connect -85k miles - zero issues. Not even a single CEL. 0 days down time.

Metris - 19k miles. Broken windshield first week. Bad luck I guess. CEL due to gas cap not seating properly. It sorted itself out. Fuel line leak. Had to wait months for parts to be manufactured. Dealer finally fixed a couple weeks ago. Weird intermittent clicking noise coming front drivers side. Dealer cant figure out. Intermittent grinding noise from driver side front brake. Dealer says can't find anything wrong. Sounds like braking with no pads left. It comes and goes. Skid plate fell off from driving over some hard snow. 6 days down time.

Ig I had to get rid of one tomorrow. I'd keep the metris. Love the way it drives and I love the cargo space.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Good luck finding one in SoCal for $8000 off of msrp on a 2017. All the 2016 are equipped with crap I don't want and not with the stuff I need and want. MSRP the way I want it is just short of $35000. If you are lucky the dealer will come down $2000. No incentives on 2017 yet.

The Transit can be had for less than $20000 all day long. Now you do the math...........
Maybe so. But, that all that crap you don't need is free and some, if you go with a '16. What exactly are you looking for? Nav, rear windows, safety package????

·
Registered
80 Posts
Maybe so. But, that all that crap you don't need is free and some, if you go with a '16. What exactly are you looking for? Nav, rear windows, safety package????
Nav, rearview, roof rails and cargo protection is a must. Not hard to find a nav and rearview van. But most of them have the cargo partitioning and cold weather package and no roof rails. I live in the desert, the last thing I need is a $730 cold weather package and no roof rails. I need the inside space and roof rails, not a seat heater in 110 degrees. Plus the best I could get was $5000 of and that include the $3500 incentive from MB.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks. I will give her a call. I am dealing with another guy at that dealership and he is soooooo slooooow to get me any info. They don't have one that I like but one close to what I like.
She had to get our second one from the store in Vegas, they are part of the Fletcher Jones family of dealers.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts