Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone figured out a way to lock a running metris? I have extra keys but they won't lock the van while it's running. I can manually lock all the locks and exit through the slider, but the hatchback rear door (which I love) doesn't lock and there's no manual lock for it.

Might install a simple hasp from the interior to keep it locked.

The reason I need to keep it running and locked is to keep the AC going to protect precious cargo.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
It's actually quite simple. Your key ring hole is connected to a metal key, accessed by pushing the ribbed slide switch on the butt of the key, which releases the metal key. Pull that out with the IR key in the ignition, and get out of the van. Push the lock button on the door- this will lock every door but the drivers, which is mechanically prevented from locking when open.

Close the drivers door, insert the metal key into the slot in the handle, and turn it. The plunger will go down. Your van is now fully locked. Unlock it the same way (although in the opposite direction) to get back in. I assume that the alarm would be disabled in this situation if so equipped, but obviously anybody can break the window, and grab the IR key, and if so equipped, disable it.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I've never tried but I think this is the way for all late model vehicles:

- Push the button to roll down your driver's side window.
- Get out of the car and close the door.
- Reach inside the door and lock all doors.
- Pull up the button to close the window and IMMEDIATELY pull your arm out.

Now to get back in if the key fob is not working to open the door use the mechanical key.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
They keyfob is disabled if the car is running. The way I described will ensure you don't accidentally leave the metal key locked inside the car.

·
Registered
401 Posts
It's actually quite simple. Your key ring hole is connected to a metal key, accessed by pushing the ribbed slide switch on the butt of the key, which releases the metal key. Pull that out with the IR key in the ignition, and get out of the van. Push the lock button on the door- this will lock every door but the drivers, which is mechanically prevented from locking when open.

Close the drivers door, insert the metal key into the slot in the handle, and turn it. The plunger will go down. Your van is now fully locked. Unlock it the same way (although in the opposite direction) to get back in. I assume that the alarm would be disabled in this situation if so equipped, but obviously anybody can break the window, and grab the IR key, and if so equipped, disable it.
That's the way I been doing it over the winter to warm up the van. It's been working.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts