Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brought my van in for its 30,000 mile service and got a Metris passenger as a loaner. It is a 2016 model but with only 3500 miles. It is a pretty basic model and is missing some features I like and am glad I got on my van.

No blindspot system and the original, flat mirrors leaves me with that bad feeling I had when before I got a convex replacement for mine. I did note that the 2017's on lot now come with a convex mirror much like what I installed but with "objects are larger" warning on bottom.

Also noted the rear view camera on this one is different. Both vans have hatch, not barn doors. My camera is mounted next to license plate lights and drops down when put in reverse. I was told it drops down so it will stay clean. Based on this position it is aimed rather low and has guide lines that move or bend as you turn the wheel. I think this makes it a valuable assist when parking. The one on this loaner van is mounted above window, just under third brake light. It has a much broader view, offering more info about what is coming from sides, but it is sort of a fish-eye type lens, and as such, makes it harder to gauge distances. It also lacks the grid and guidelines present on my van, which I feel makes it way less useful for parking or hooking up a trailer. I had no idea there were different types of cameras

Other than that, I miss the wheel mounted controls and better trip computer and gauges present on my van.

I also find it sad how poorly people treat these loaners. It seems like some one had dirty shoes up on passengers dash as it is dirty and all scratched. Kind of pathetic people would do that.

That is about it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
When I was waiting for my van to arrive, the dealership gave me a loaner. That day, I bought some stick-on blind spot mirrors and put them on the loaner. I refused to drive without them. And this was a cargo van. Now that I think about it, I forgot to take them off. I'm surprised my dealer never said anything about it.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Also noted the rear view camera on this one is different. Both vans have hatch, not barn doors. My camera is mounted next to license plate lights and drops down when put in reverse. I was told it drops down so it will stay clean. Based on this position it is aimed rather low and has guide lines that move or bend as you turn the wheel. I think this makes it a valuable assist when parking. The one on this loaner van is mounted above window, just under third brake light. It has a much broader view, offering more info about what is coming from sides, but it is sort of a fish-eye type lens, and as such, makes it harder to gauge distances. It also lacks the grid and guidelines present on my van, which I feel makes it way less useful for parking or hooking up a trailer. I had no idea there were different types of cameras
Good to know. That option was on my list of maybes. Still have to see it in person on how it performs, but sounds better already.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually, I suspect that cam is dealer installed.
Never thought of that. It is well integrated into radio and mounting of lens is cleanly done, but seemed a step back from system in my van. I will ask when I return it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts