Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to fit some different rims on my new Metris, but the rims the local tire shop has for me have a load rating of 1520 pounds. I passed on those rims because the manual specifies XL rated tires. I figure that if it needs heavy duty tires then the same should go for rims. I have seen folks on here mounting rims from sedans on there vans, is this safe? How do you find the load rating on the rims? Not all rims are marked, the stock rims are not marked with a load rating. How do I make sure that the rims are up to the task?

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
The Metris has a GVW of 6700 some odd pounds. I’d you put in 1520 lb rims, you will have a vehicle raring of 6080 lbs. if you keep your vehicle under that weight, there is no inherent problem. A pax van weighs 4700 lbs, or so. You’d still have 1220 lbs of payload, which is the total weight of passengers and cargo. So if you had 200 lbs of luggage and 7 passengers, you’ll be fine so long as there average weight does not exceed 145lbs a passenger.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, mercedes has the XL or 101 tires on these just for cargo versions? Then we could also be dropping down to to a load index 95 tire? Even my Sienna specified load index 100 tires and it only has a GVWR of 5995 pounds, and a curb weight within 100 pounds of the metris. Running low spec equipment like that makes me a little nervous. What do you run on your rig?

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
*blinks*

No, Mercedes has them for both versions. If you have eight passenger each weighing 200 lbs (heavy, yes, but not absurd- it can carry 8 adults) and carry luggage for them totaling 40 lbs each, the vans payload is is 1920, so you are merely 30 lbs short of max.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts