Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I am new here and I am in the process of buying a Metris passenger van and find this forum to be very interesting and helpful.

One thing that baffles me is the rear door options. I'm leaning toward the barn style swingout doors but it seems they are hard to find. I understand that with the lift up door, the driver can have an un-obstructive view to the back through the rear view mirror, but other than that, I don't see any advantage. The barn doors appear to be more interesting than the one piece lift up. Can some of you more experience users here explain to me the pro/cons of the rear door style so I can make an educated choice?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
397 Posts
The lift up door gives you a huge covered area behind the car when unloading, I can back up to my house and park 4+ feet away and unload when its raining thanks to the huge rear door acting like a roof. Its great! The side doors might be more useful in certain situations but I am glad I went with the lift-gate style.

Same thing at a store....it can be raining and I can load groceries into the van without getting wet, plenty of room under there!

·
Registered
2018 Metris Passenger
276 Posts
pros: good rearview, nice shelter, rear camera centered and protected, only one wiper/washer to go wrong.
cons: may not clear tongue jack on trailer, takes more muscle to open and close, needs more clearance behind.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I love my lift up door, but to be honest, it sometimes doesn't latch properly due to the nearly airtight seal. If I open a window or door, it closes perfectly.
As others have pointed out, it gives a great place to hide during a rain storm.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have the barn doors and get a kick out of the way they swing all the way out and attach to the sides of the van with magnets. But honestly I haven't used that feature often. It is true that the center pillar formed by the closed barn doors is an impediment to visibility through the rear view mirror.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I went barndoors/no window for security on a cargo version. add slick locks and it's very secure. I have a bulkhead as well so rearward vision wasn't a concern...it just is non-existent.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I agonized over this point as well. In the end I went with the barn doors, mostly because the lift gate version opened up so high that it would hit the underside of my garage door. My wife also felt the lift gate was just too big for her to comfortably work. After the fantastic dutch doors on my Astro van I REALLY hate the visibility out the back with the barn doors, but the lift gate just wouldn't have worked in the garage.
I wish mine fit in my garage! (easily) :surprise: Its like threading a needle!

·
Registered
209 Posts
In reference to the lift gate door hitting the garage door, I resolved that issue with a $2 pool noodle that I split length way and attached to garage door brace with 4 zip ties. I realize not all garage doors have the same brace but living if Florida with new codes for hurricanes our garage door has the additional braces, so this idea may work for some of you but probably not all.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hello everyone! I am new here and I am in the process of buying a Metris passenger van and find this forum to be very interesting and helpful.

One thing that baffles me is the rear door options. I'm leaning toward the barn style swingout doors but it seems they are hard to find. I understand that with the lift up door, the driver can have an un-obstructive view to the back through the rear view mirror, but other than that, I don't see any advantage. The barn doors appear to be more interesting than the one piece lift up. Can some of you more experience users here explain to me the pro/cons of the rear door style so I can make an educated choice?

Thanks in advance.
More on the topic from past comments. https://www.metrisforum.com/forum/1...eral-discussion/6946-rear-liftgate-cargo.html

1 - 9 of 9 Posts