Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
A rear anti-roll bar is optional on the passenger van as part of the "Comfort Suspension" package (CF7). I'm wondering if any of the cargo van owners that are looking for greater loaded stability have looked into the possibility of adding the rear anti-roll bar after delivery.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi,
Any luck with finding a lift kit? I'm looking to do the same thing and hopefully fit some bigger off road tires such as 274/45 R17. Right now I have some cooper discoverers 235/60 without a lift. Thanks
Eric

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Has anyone replaced the rear coil springs with air bags ? So you can adjust the air pressure to the load you are carrying in stead of having stiff spring to carry max. all the time

·
Registered
179 Posts
looked into it but since i do carry a full load all of the time decided to go another way.

a local suspension shop got under it and took some measurements and said that it shouldn't be a problem - said they'd get back to me but they never did. I moved on.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Would love to see some pics, I just picked up a Passenger Metris and want to run 255/65/17 All Terrain tires and would love a small lift. We are replacing our Astro vans for work with these. Thanks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have 1” worth of Spaccers for the front that im not going to use. I had the full 2” kit installed, drove it for a month with 225/65/17 Pirelli AT’s. I just had 1” removed. Im very happy with the ride, handling and stability.
Im selling the 1” front Spaccers lift. $300 shipped to conti US.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here's a couple of pics of what I did - SumoSprings from supersprings.com
really helps with the extra load. I couldn't be happier.
I like the SumoSprings option to keep my passenger van from bottoming out when loaded for a road trip. This seems like a simple fix. I have a few questions.
How much did they cost? (I don't see a price on the website)
Did you order two sets for each wheel or is that the normal setup for the Metris?
Did you add them to the front as well?

Thanks

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hey Pexton -
I do like them - especially with my heavy-duty springs but it sounds like you don't need that much help. I actually have two extra sets of two (total of 4 as i did two sumo's on each rear - you can also put one on each of the 4 corners although I've never done the fronts) It was a misorder on my part. I see that I paid $276 for the 2 sets - $138/pair. I'll send you a private message.

·
Banned
2,516 Posts
I have the passenger van with the non comfort (that is, heavy duty) suspension. I can tell you that with the reinforced springs (Which come factory if you didn’t order the comfort suspension or a package that includes it) I have no trouble loading it up to 6000+ lbs GVW, nor any trouble with bottoming out.

What I do have is a rather stiff ride when the van is empty. Not as bad as my Econoline, and extremely stable, but set to 42psi on the tires it is quite stern. If you have bottoming out issues, or too much sag under load, I get it, you would solve that problem with some kind of rear spring reinforcement, and while my configuration precludes the need for aftermarket enhancement, I’ve heard good things about Sumo springs.

But I would first determine if you actually need the reinforcement, rather than getting them because they are popular. The negative impact on ride that a stiffer spring will bring (and it will, thats the nature of the beast) is not something you want unless your application actually calls for it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have an extra pair of lightly used Sumosprings if anyone is interested. PM me with an offer!

I used them for a couple months this summer and did improve the loaded ride. They maintained my unloaded ride height too. I still needed more though (I have comfort susp package) and was thinking about buying cargo springs for my pax van but decided to get the Adventure Van Co coil spring kit since it was advertised to have higher spring rate in rear and I was interested in more ground clearance too.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts