Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Passenger Metris with Steel Wheels and I'm interested in additional clearance and stability. I had a VW T4 with a 1/2 inch lift in the front, a 3/4 inch lift in the rear and Bilstein HD shocks. What would people recommend for a similar ride in the Metris?

These spacers seem like they'd be a simple way to add clearance: link

But Bilstein doesn't seem to offer a B6 HD for the W447. Anyone know anything about how the B6 HD might work on the Metris?

Or is a more comprehensive Lift Kit like this one from Terranger my best option: Link

How about something more like this Bilstein upgrade for the VW T6: Link

Thanks,

·
Registered
939 Posts
The only thing I can add is if you got the comfort suspension package it includes a rear swaybar.

·
Registered
12 Posts
After reading about what happened to Greenmanedlion, I'd be interest in a lift kit, as well (at least rear, if not both!). But would this, in any way, void the warranty?

·
Registered
939 Posts
In any way? Yes. In a big way? No
Put in higher springs, we won't warranty the springs. Thats about the extent. I'd venture to say if we saw the springs, we'd still warranty the shocks if they went bad.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
You mean my being hit? Because frankly I'm rather happy the impact was at the height it was. I got whacked pretty hard. The door absorbed the impact... Instead of the body/cargo frame. The estimated impact speed by the officer was 25. If it hadn't bypassed the bumper, I suspect it would have been worse.

·
Registered
12 Posts
That is interesting. But is the 25mph estimate reasonable considering that, as I understand it, the Honda was accelerating after a stop, to make a right turn on the assumption that you (vehicle making right in front of her) had successfully cleared the intersection? How many feet were there between where she was stopped and where she hit you? Enough to accelerate to 25mph? In addition, notwithstanding the impact absorption of your rear lift gate, I would have expected more damage to her car (her 5mph bumpers don't appear to have much, if any, damage in your picture?).

When I first saw the Metris at the dealership, I commented on the low rear bumper. The salesman's response: "That's what insurance is for". I would be interested to hear from MB as to the design intent of the rear of the vehicle. I get, and my wife appreciates, the loading advantage of the low clearance. But from a safety perspective, did they actually design the rear door to absorb and displace rear impact?

Most importantly, I was glad to hear that all occupants were safe and uninjured.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
First of all, my experience with plastic bumper caps is that they are a boon lfor the insurance industry- not because they reduce damage, but because they hide it. If her car didn't have some notable damage under that cap I would be boggled.

Bumpers are not a safety feature, they are a cosmetic one. And they aren't 5 mph bumpers. Those were ash canned nearly 20 years ago when some honest independent studies showed they net increased cost- including any so-called savings in accident repair.

Cars crumpling in accidents are a safety feature. That dent in the door was the car absorbing the energy from the collision, instead of my grandmothers neck. I know which one I can fix.

You want the damage to transmit to that external panel instead of inline to the cargo floor frame, which would be a lot more expensive to fix, and less long term repairable.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was rear-ended in my Escalade, years ago, by an 18-wheel tractor trailer. It occurred right in front of my Cadillac dealer, so I drove it in for immediate inspection. No damage to bumper, and no underlying damage, either. Pistons collapsed and re-expanded as designed.

My understanding is that most vehicle "crumple zones" were designed with the assumption that the impact would start with the bumper, with the body crumpling, as designed, and dissipating energy through integration of variable grades of steel and composites into the front and rear-end assemblies of the vehicle. MB is a leader in safety technology; indeed, they invented crush zones in 1952. Are you saying that with the Metris the design is such that rear impact protection/crumple zones were designed to begin with the rear door itself rather that the bumper? If so, then perhaps the salespeople should point that out, rather than saying "that's what insurance is for" in response to questions regarding low bumper height.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Anyone seen any options for rear airbag installation on the Metris? I carry a constant and fairly heavy load and while I'm under the GVWR (6724 - I weigh 6560) I AM on the hairy edge. It hits the stops on the occasional speed bump, etc. I'd like to get the ride height back to nominal and firm up the ride in back. Nothing fancy - no on-board compressors, etc. Just good ol' set-it-and-forget-it bags.

·
Registered
470 Posts
To follow up on my original post. I ordered/installed the 2WD lift kit from terranger.de, put 225/65/17 michelin defender ltx m/s2 tires on, and had the dealer realign. Drives great!
Sharing is caring... post some grainy pics. :grin:

·
Registered
271 Posts
I take it there are no pictures of this mod.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Thats cool Flaca, but I was referring to Pericles lift / tire upgrade.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Yea, those dimwitted MB engineers need some help in getting the suspension geometry straightened out on a model (w447) that is logging a couple million miles per day all over the world.

Perhaps by Daryl down at the tire store in Podunk Arkansas?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts