Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

LED tail lights installed

11K views 27 replies 10 participants last post by  pounce 
#1 · (Edited)
After installation of front LED headlights /different post / I have decided i will try V-class LED tail lights .
I got these from aliexpress:

As you can see turn signal is dynamic . when i installed them quickly realized they dont work on metris .
the reason is in europe tail lights have separate lights for night , brake and signal . here metris has all 3 in one bulb . oh well, DOT is only 30+ years old .
it gave me all sort of lighting problems .
For instance: turn signal on - night light and brake light are flashing / exactly like we have it on original tail lights because it is same connector / ,
same was when i turn night lights on and signal on as well / exactly like OEM tails /
but when i press brake pedal , the yellow led signal strip "alived" and start working like in the video above.

anyway, as mentioned above it is impossible to make turn signal works like in europe without major electrical work. which i was not willing to do .

So only option is to disable the little led strip . I have located pin for the yellow signal strip on the LED tails and bent it .

Technology Electronic device Electronics Electronic component

and with this little trick i managed to resolved all problems. even side marker light error on dash disappeared . fog light reverse lights all work.

Although i had to modified my original plan i am extremely happy with the result. the led lights are fantastic bright and now the van look like it suppose to .

you be the judge :

New video by Rony B

if you have barn doors you have to cut piece of plastic for cables . dont think this apply for lift gate .

Red Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle

here is one night picture

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Van Motor vehicle

See less See more
1 3
#4 ·
So only option is to disable the little led strip . I have located pin for the yellow signal strip on the LED tails and bent it .

View attachment 18387

and with this little trick i managed to resolved all problems. even side marker light error on dash disappeared . fog light reverse lights all work.
i have the same light and i know the signal doesn't operate the amber strip. but i didn't know is when the brake is press the amber strip will will start animating, i have to check mind and i should disable the pin too. so the pin is 3rd one from the top? same on both side?

#6 ·
Aw man! Part of paying the price for these LED rear is the sequential turn signal. AKD has some newer design/versions. I wonder if they the same. I wonder if there is a NA-to-EURO adapter or something to get the full features.

#7 ·
Do we know if this 'all signal on single bulb' only applies to Metris in USA/Canada? What about South America/Mexico or anywhere else?

#11 ·
As you can see turn signal is dynamic . when i installed them quickly realized they dont work on metris .
the reason is in europe tail lights have separate lights for night , brake and signal . here metris has all 3 in one bulb . oh well, DOT is only 30+ years old .
it gave me all sort of lighting problems .
For instance: turn signal on - night light and brake light are flashing / exactly like we have it on original tail lights because it is same connector / ,
same was when i turn night lights on and signal on as well / exactly like OEM tails /
but when i press brake pedal , the yellow led signal strip "alived" and start working like in the video above.

anyway, as mentioned above it is impossible to make turn signal works like in europe without major electrical work. which i was not willing to do .

I think I have found a cheap potential solution to getting separate connections for turn and brake. A few manufacturers make adapters for EU trailers to split the brake/turn single line on US cars to separate lines.

So I think one of these can enable your amber animated turn signals.

Product Font Screenshot Circle Brand

#19 ·
I just got the CURT converter and will play with it in the next week or so. Curious if it will work fine with my LED light separating the brake and turn signal from a single wire. Right now I just cut the 3rd cable on the plug (RED/BLACK) and everything works the same way as the original lights (Red turn signal on same LED's as the Brake light). Let's see if I can separate these and make a dynamic orang turn signals...

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Automotive side marker light Automotive lighting Vehicle

Automotive lighting Amber Rectangle Automotive tail & brake light Font

#20 ·
I just got the CURT converter and will play with it in the next week or so. Curious if it will work fine with my LED light separating the brake and turn signal from a single wire. Right now I just cut the 3rd cable on the plug (RED/BLACK) and everything works the same way as the original lights (Red turn signal on same LED's as the Brake light). Let's see if I can separate these and make a dynamic orang turn signals...

View attachment 22063
View attachment 22065
I have these same tail lights and get the error on my gauge cluster that signals are out. Did u have this issue too.

#24 ·
Ok, now that I actually have to think about this one I have a new plan. It's simple. I was going to use the pin outs on my PAC unit that's installed for my head unit. That unit reads the canbus. It has a jack for a 4 way video switcher so you can use blindspot cameras. So the jack to connect the switcher has the turn signal triggers. But that still left me with flashing brakes. So the new draft plan is to trigger off the side markers for the turn signals and off the 3rd brake light for the brakes. That way the brakes don't flash and hazards still work.

#27 ·
Just installed a set of the original MB LED's. Fantastic upgrade. I found you don't have the bend the 3rd pin from square side of the male/female connector. Using long nose pliers the pin comes out with very little force. I thought about disassembling the plug and disconnecting the 3rd wire. Removing the pin made it all much easier. The pin can be re-inserted as is has a spring like attribute to it, which makes me believe it's obviously not soldered in