Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have done this. This is Metris from US (from Copart) and I bought used V-class headlights and taillight. Quite complicated electrical job was needed to adapt the headlights but the local dealer was able to fulfill it. Taillights work from the box but for the hatch doors you have to cut plastic a bit.

Attachments

·
Registered
209 Posts
Those retrofit headlights look AWESOME! Congrat's

Do you mind sharing your total cost for the front and rear lights?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I am a minority, but feel I should speak up. I hate Led headlights. Most of them anyway. They hurt my eyes and blind me.

The light they produce make it hard for my eyes to focus and strain them if they are on the vehicle i am driving, and they blind me for several seconds if they are on an oncoming car, or even on a high truck behind me. It is so bad I often have to pull over.

Its the blue light evidently, and yellow glasses help, but not enough always. Others have the same issue, look it up, my wife is sensitive to it, but not as bad as me. I am effected by this more in the winter when there is less sunlight, and i get less sunlight, evidently something to do with some of the rays repairing the eyes, i forget the details.

I am 34, this has been a gradual onset thing they did not used to bother me a few years ago, i love the look of the led headlights and the way they project and light stuff is great until it isint. I used to use led headlamps when working at night too, and i no longer can.
The blue light produced also screw with your melatonin and effect sleep.

After spending time and money on a retrofit you may find that like me,they are hurting your vision, ...and they are blinding folks like me.

That said, not all LED lights blind and trash my eyes, I feel like the tech is too new on cars and we have not figured it out yet. The white, and blue ones are horrible... factory or aftermarket... The orange spectrum house bulbs do not hurt my eyes, but orange and yellow headlight bulbs are banned in a lot of places for auto use...

Just something to consider. Thanks!

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
739 Posts
Could be an astigmatism.

There are different color temps for LED lighting. Not all of them are on the 6000 kelvin plus scale.

Now what I hate are the new Cadillac LED taillights that are using PWM and flicker like crazy. HATE them. Cheap buggers using crappy components. No reason for the strobe effect and its distracting to drivers.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Could be an astigmatism.

There are different color temps for LED lighting. Not all of them are on the 6000 kelvin plus scale.

Now what I hate are the new Cadillac LED taillights that are using PWM and flicker like crazy. HATE them. Cheap buggers using crappy components. No reason for the strobe effect and its distracting to drivers.
It could be, most people have some degree of it. I hate the strobe effect too, awful. Whats with the rules against yellow and amber headlights, I do not really see how it is a problem? They are illegal in a lot of places. https://bimmertips.com/origin-yellow-french-headlights/

·
Registered
2018 Metris Passenger
295 Posts
When I lived in England in the late '60s - mid '70s, whenever we took the car to the continent we had to don yellow plastic "contact lenses" for the car with fresnel prisms to deflect the light (like the picture). They do the same today with a little stick-on over part of the lens.

Attachments

·
Registered
196 Posts
I am a minority, but feel I should speak up. I hate Led headlights. Most of them anyway. They hurt my eyes and blind me.

The light they produce make it hard for my eyes to focus and strain them if they are on the vehicle i am driving, and they blind me for several seconds if they are on an oncoming car, or even on a high truck behind me. It is so bad I often have to pull over.

Its the blue light evidently, and yellow glasses help, but not enough always. Others have the same issue, look it up, my wife is sensitive to it, but not as bad as me. I am effected by this more in the winter when there is less sunlight, and i get less sunlight, evidently something to do with some of the rays repairing the eyes, i forget the details.

I am 34, this has been a gradual onset thing they did not used to bother me a few years ago, i love the look of the led headlights and the way they project and light stuff is great until it isint. I used to use led headlamps when working at night too, and i no longer can.

After spending time and money on a retrofit you may find that like me,they are hurting your vision, ...and they are blinding folks like me.

That said, not all LED lights blind and trash my eyes, I feel like the tech is too new on cars and we have not figured it out yet. The white, and blue ones are horrible... factory or aftermarket... The orange spectrum house bulbs do not hurt my eyes, but orange and yellow headlight bulbs are banned in a lot of places for auto use...

well Metris? You are 34 I am 74 and it does not really meter how old you are, some men i believe have small equipment so they like to compensate it with tall pic-ups with loud mufflers with something, that the world will look at them and notice them, I guess same as punk hair :) :), I remember on my VW bug 1955 having one light-bulb in each reflector. Some times it was hard to see in fog. But never had an accident because of light ....
You are not alone not likening new trend to change the factory light, but that shall also pass :) cars will have no horns, they will have very small lights and they will drive them self :) we will be only passengers :) there will be other possibilities for transportation, train (even on hgwy) light aeroplanes etc. I hope the sharp lights, the pants under your bottom shall go bye bye, but there will be something else to complain about :) there always is :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Used Headlights with control units were usd1500, taillights usd380. Wiring works cost me usd400 and 200 more for installing original used parking system rear+front.
I think the cost of the work may not be relative to the US, because they did it in Ukraine and it took **** of a lot time.
They had to install three big additional fuses and I had to search them used as well.

Those retrofit headlights look AWESOME! Congrat's

Do you mind sharing your total cost for the front and rear lights?

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
739 Posts
For those reading... I have seen recently aftermarket LED headlights and aftermarket LED taillights for Metris on the Chinese sites. Looks like they are plug and play. Taillights are animated. I think the headlights were around 900 and the tail lights around 400.

·
Registered
248 Posts

I have a V class with these installed from factory. I can tell you that I absolutely love these lights. These are way better than the Adaptive Xenons in my Bimmer.

I tend to have the same issue with lightning as you described it, however I have noticed that it makes a **** of a difference between OEM LED (and same goes for Xenon HID) vs aftermarket, especially the cheap ones. If a car with OEM LED or HID is driving towards me I'll notice the brightness but it doesn't hurt that much but if it's some idiot with super bright, super blue almost purple afteremarket it is definitely a problem, same thing if one is behind me.

·
Registered
248 Posts
When I lived in England in the late '60s - mid '70s, whenever we took the car to the continent we had to don yellow plastic "contact lenses" for the car with fresnel prisms to deflect the light (like the picture). They do the same today with a little stick-on over part of the lens.
Some cars have markings for you to put your stickers on, and some (Like the V-class) you can even program in the settings which side of the road you're driving on for it to adjust it's program.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts