Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Metris Passenger
260 Posts
My thought:
You would have more traction at the back on snow or mud, but when braking for a corner at slow speeds (e.g. on a snow covered city street) you can lock up the front end while the back is still pushing the car forward, especially if the engine is cold and at a high idle. On pavement there would be less lateral stability and grip at the back and you would be more likely to oversteer or spin out at higher speeds when cornering or braking.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks Imacd! That doesn't sound like much fun.
It would seem like the traction control, ABS, and other computer bits based on wheel speed may not like different sizes in the front and back either. Newer machines tend to be less tolerant of stagger than the non computer controlled ones.

RS

·
Registered
248 Posts
It would seem like the traction control, ABS, and other computer bits based on wheel speed may not like different sizes in the front and back either. Newer machines tend to be less tolerant of stagger than the non computer controlled ones.

RS
This happened to me on a SEAT Ibiza (VAG). I needed to change 2 tires, they didn't have the exact match and unbeknownst to me they put on new tires that were pretty close but not quite the same total diameter. Everything was fine except every time I needed to brake harder than normal but not so hard as to require ABS to kick in (Think coming to a light that changed sooner than expected but with enough distance to brake without locking/ABS), it would feel like if the ABS was kicking in but very lightly. After several attempts to diagnose the problem the technician connected their diagnostics tool and saw the ABS blinking but not engaging. The small difference was confusing it, he swapped the tires with another car so that all 4 were the same to validate and the problem was gone. I ended up buying 2 more tires and that was it.

·
Banned
80 Posts
I'm going with 235/55-17 since I already have a set of Nokian eNTYRE with 103 XL load here, my wife's extra set for her Tiguan. Only 1.6% taller. These tires are super-cheap and always work great, like $75ea.

Anyone interested in a nearly new set of Vancos for $300? lol.

205/60-17 is the size we're trying on the Tiguan, roads are bad here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've seen a van or two with 225/65-17's on the picture thread and am wondering if these fit without rubbing? I am having clearance and traction issues on construction sites out here in the Okanagan Valley and need a bigger more aggressive tire. Looking at the BFG a/t ko2's specifically.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Keep in mind the size difference or the tire height is only going to give you half the additional ride height. 2" in taller tire is only giving you a 1 inch additional ride height. I doubt an inch or two extra ride height is going to solve your job site issues unless your looking for a reason to justify buy tires.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Keep in mind the size difference or the tire height is only going to give you half the additional ride height. 2" in taller tire is only giving you a 1 inch additional ride height. I doubt an inch or two extra ride height is going to solve your job site issues unless your looking for a reason to justify buy tires.
My reason for buying new tires is that my front two Hankooks are bald, and I need a tire with better traction for sandy, muddy or snowy construction sites. I can guarantee that an extra inch of height would make a difference in quite a few situations I have been in. I know what I need, I'm just asking if anyone knows if this tire size will fit without a lift.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just got some 235/60/17 Cooper ATS AT3 4S installed on 17x8.5 ML wheels. I love the height and the feel compared to the original Hankooks. They look like a tight fit but I havent had any rubbing issues experienced yet. These are the newer model 4S with 65K mileage warranty. I do like the aggressive look and height while not having to worry about lifting hassles and additional expenses.
Hey You don’t have a lift do you? Looks sweet. I want beefier tires

·
Registered
13 Posts
My reason for buying new tires is that my front two Hankooks are bald, and I need a tire with better traction for sandy, muddy or snowy construction sites. I can guarantee that an extra inch of height would make a difference in quite a few situations I have been in. I know what I need, I'm just asking if anyone knows if this tire size will fit without a lift.
I am considering the same tire and size. Did you ever make the purchase? What was your experience?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Any additional experiences to add to this post from anyone? MPG, handling, recommendations? The stock ride height and tires leave room for improvement. I am looking at a 2" lift kit and possibly larger or more aggressive tread for light off-road.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts