Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found this on Reimo's site and thought I'd share. I was just looking at if the BFGoodrich All Terrain A/T tires could be put on a Metris and here it is. Nicely done Paul!

Since these tires are only made in a few sizes with the smallest 16" being 215/70R16. I'm assuming those are the tires pictured. Checking tire comparison those are 27.9" diameter tires verse the stock 225/55R17 (26.7" diameter) tire. It slims the width from the stock 8.9" to 8.5". I would hope the slimming might help tire rub and clearance and still allow snow chains.

Personally, I also like the idea of adding 0.6" of additional ground clearance as this has been a major sticking point for me with the Metris.

http://www.reimoamericas.com/updates-posts.html
One of the issues brought up time and again is the fact that the Metris is not offered in a 4x4 version as found in Europe.Searching and speaking with various suppliers have led to what I feel is a a great solution, Going to a 16 inch tire gives us access to a much more aggressive tire when pared with a taller aspect ratio (Tire Height) and keeps a proper truck tire with all the load rate needed.Looks cool also!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Awesome post! Do we know what the size and make of the wheels are? I checked the website and couldn't find any reference to the wheels.

Thanks!

·
Registered
200 Posts
The benefits of increased (or reduced) tire size is largely illusory. Physics wise, at the same tire pressure and the same vehicle weight, one has exactly the same amount of rubber on the ground regardless of what tire size is used. This is because Weight/pressure = area needed to support the truck. One cannot overstate this important fact because, while the area remains the same, a larger diameter or narrow width will indeed change the footprint on the ground.

MB is not known for making mistakes about what that footprint should look like in order to save $3 per tire like Kia might. So, trust that any changes from the factory spec may be a cosmetic improvement but likely an engineering degradation.

And, when it comes to high speed handling dynamica, one's own well intentioned ideas may actually be well intentioned bad ideas.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just got some 235/60/17 Cooper ATS AT3 4S installed on 17x8.5 ML wheels. I love the height and the feel compared to the original Hankooks. They look like a tight fit but I havent had any rubbing issues experienced yet. These are the newer model 4S with 65K mileage warranty. I do like the aggressive look and height while not having to worry about lifting hassles and additional expenses.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just got some 235/60/17 Cooper ATS AT3 4S installed on 17x8.5 ML wheels. I love the height and the feel compared to the original Hankooks. They look like a tight fit but I havent had any rubbing issues experienced yet. These are the newer model 4S with 65K mileage warranty. I do like the aggressive look and height while not having to worry about lifting hassles and additional expenses.
Looking at the same set for ours. Is your van lifted or stock height? Any comments on noise vs the stock tires?

cheers

·
Registered
9 Posts
The benefits of increased (or reduced) tire size is largely illusory. Physics wise, at the same tire pressure and the same vehicle weight, one has exactly the same amount of rubber on the ground regardless of what tire size is used. This is because Weight/pressure = area needed to support the truck. One cannot overstate this important fact because, while the area remains the same, a larger diameter or narrow width will indeed change the footprint on the ground.

MB is not known for making mistakes about what that footprint should look like in order to save $3 per tire like Kia might. So, trust that any changes from the factory spec may be a cosmetic improvement but likely an engineering degradation.

And, when it comes to high speed handling dynamica, one's own well intentioned ideas may actually be well intentioned bad ideas.
Sorry, that's just plain nonsense and goes against common sense.

First, to test your theory, think in extremes: Why do top fuel drag cars have gigantic rear tires when they could save a massive amount of weight just putting tiny wheels/tires from the front on the back as well.

Why wouldn't all manufacturers that are going to tremendous lengths to improve fuel economy not put on bicycle size tires on all their vehicles if it makes no difference? Narrower tires are lighter weight, and its unsprung weight no less which has a far greater effect on acceleration/braking/handling, and lower rolling resistance. The reason is again obvious, LESS TRACTION.

MB isn't making mistakes, they are making compromises. Wider tires tend to cost more, and we've seen what lengths the bean counters will go to save a dollar or two here and there. Wider tires reduce fuel economy, and again manufacturers are spending billions trying to improve theirs to meet ever more restrictive regulations in some markets. Wider tires reduce acceleration when not at traction limits (like a highway onramp).

But one thing that absolutely ANYONE with any common sense will tell you is that wider tires increase traction in every measurable way. They brake better, they turn better, and they accelerate better.

Changing my Challengers 245s to 275s was an ungodly night and day difference in available traction, and tire rack and others have a multitude of videos where they test different tire widths (and staggered setups) demonstrating that wider tires improve lap times.

Put down the physics book and head down to your local race track and ask people with real world experience. Physics is complicated because its very easy to forget about factors that you didn't calculate, which is why practical testing is crucial and will show you that you're missing something.

Example of youtube video of professional driver on race track on low-horsepower vehicle testing 5 combinations of tire sizes from narrow to wide: watch?v=Bgz0qF3CuNA (too long, didn't watch version: The widest possible tires that fit on the vehicle produced the best lap times, and would have been even more pronounced on a vehicle that wasn't so underpowered, such as my 485hp Challenger where the difference is so large it hits you harder than a physics book to the back of the head)

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
A major reason for narrow tires on vans is space; wide tires eat into load space and allow less wheel cut (thus a larger turning radius- a much bigger deal as wheelbase increases)

·
Registered
6 Posts
These appear to be biggest size for 17s that can be put on without lifting. You can feel the vehicle sitting up a little taller as well. To me its a smoother and plusher ride. Its an AT tire but feels like a regular passenger tire. Im happy with this model.

·
Registered
9 Posts
These appear to be biggest size for 17s that can be put on without lifting. You can feel the vehicle sitting up a little taller as well. To me its a smoother and plusher ride. Its an AT tire but feels like a regular passenger tire. Im happy with this model.
Installed the tires this weekend and I agree that they appear to be as big as can go. At the front at full lock both directions I can just barely slide fingers between the fender liners and the tire. No clearance issues with bump travel or around the strut. 225/65r17's might just barely squeak in but i like having at least 1/4-3/8" clearance around tire contact and they would be less than that.

I had the original 225/55r17's on the van and compressed different ends of the suspension with my forklift. Measured less than an inch total clearance a few places on the front so the math and measurements line up with this new dia and width of tire.

Attachments

·
Registered
557 Posts
This is the first post I found on the web while trying to figure out how to put tougher looking wheels and tires on the Metris. I did lots and lots of research making sure everything would fit on the inside of the rim and on the inside of the wheel well. I wanted to post what I finally figured out and how it looks. The tires are BFGOODRICH ALL TERRAIN T/A KO2s with a size of LT215/65R16D. The rims are Toren TR9 16" with a 5-112 pattern.
Looks like a CEO urban assault rig. Got Kevlar?

·
Registered
557 Posts
A major reason for narrow tires on vans is space; wide tires eat into load space and allow less wheel cut (thus a larger turning radius- a much bigger deal as wheelbase increases)
And sidewall reinforcement. The taller Eurovan required reinforced sidewall tires. My stock Metris 'kooks feel mushy to me when cornering, especially when tossed a bit without traction control. In terms of width, it is very obviously possible to reduce the pounds per square inch of vehicle hitting the ground, hence dune buggy tires. I didn't want fat tires in the Colorado winter -- I had nice narrow studded Nokians on my Eurovan.

On a side note, to my pleasant surprise given what I read here pre-delivery and my general uninformed sense of Korean industry, the 'kooks are really nice at highway speeds up to and including a couple of brief runs around 80 to 85 mph. I am having a little trouble keeping them inflated evenly per spec -- I'm used to slow-leak Costco nitrogen -- but at 2,500 miles they are showing no signs of wear or uneven wear. Insofar as alignment, I did a thorough scientific check by taking my hands off the wheel for way too long at 80 mph. Trust me, my 2018's alignment is good.>:D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dumb question here, but what would happen if you installed a set of these 235/60/17 Cooper ATS AT3 4S tires (or other more aggressive tires) on the rear and left the original "city" tires on the front? I need more aggressive tires on the rears due to driving a lot on dirt/muddy roads and the normal tires that fit the Metris just don't have much traction. Thanks...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Dumb question here, but what would happen if you installed a set of these 235/60/17 Cooper ATS AT3 4S tires (or other more aggressive tires) on the rear and left the original "city" tires on the front? I need more aggressive tires on the rears due to driving a lot on dirt/muddy roads and the normal tires that fit the Metris just don't have much traction. Thanks...
I have done similar things with old rwd volvos, and it was "ok" just try to match load rating and sidewall ply. However, Mich LTX M/S are awesome tires, though i have not tried them on a metris.
I had them on my chevy van, and land cruiser. They did great on the van with mud, wash outs, dirt, etc. Some people even off road with them, though with 4wd. They do far better in mud, snow, etc than the tread pattern seems like it would. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Defender+LTX+M/S&partnum=255HR7DLTXXL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Mercedes-Benz&autoYear=2018&autoModel=Metris&autoModClar=Passenger

they are nice and quiet, especially when compared to the duratracs i run on the chevy van, and land cruiser in the winter (we get a lot of snow). However the ltx did so well on the land cruiser in the winter i may sell the set of duratracs.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts