Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"If the front-passenger seat is unoccupied, do not insert the belt tongue into the buckle of the front-passenger seat. This may otherwise lead to the triggering of the Emergency Tensioning Device in the event of an accident, which will then need to be replaced."

Now that warm weather is here, and I'm driving my Metris around with the windows down, I notice the wind coming in the passenger side window will cause the unfastened passenger seat belt buckle to knock against the hard plastic side of the interior. Very annoying it is. Of course I can just buckle the seat belt of the unoccupied seat but the manual gives the warning above.

I suppose if I did get into an accident that triggered the Emergency Tensioning Device, that I would be paying the deductible anyways after the repairs. But isn't there a sensor that tells the system that nobody is sitting in the passenger seat? So why would the Emergency Tensioning Device trigger in the situation where the front seat is unoccupied but the seat belt is fastened?

Perhaps there is some kind of sticky backed foam I can put on the side of the interior where that buckle contacts. Something that looks half way decent.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Yeah, that was driving me nuts. Fortunately I had this laying around for another project I plan on detailing later. Stuff did the trick perfectly. Did the drivers side pillar as well, just so it matched.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, that was driving me nuts. Fortunately I had this laying around for another project I plan on detailing later. Stuff did the trick perfectly. Did the drivers side pillar as well, just so it matched.
That's good to know about, thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts