Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

Kenwood DMX1057XR stereo install and DRV-N520 Dash Cam

16K views 37 replies 11 participants last post by  psa30658 
#1 ·
This is my first ever stereo install and I read many helpful messages on this forum. I'm adding some more photos and info to help someone else with install.

I used the following:
  • Metra 99-6512 Single DIN / Double DIN Installation Kit
  • Metra 40-EU55 Antenna Adapter (as many have pointed out it needs to be a powered antenna)
  • PAC RP4.2-MB11 Wiring Interface
  • Kenwood DMX1057XR stereo
  • DRV-N520 Dash Cam
  • Tesa 51036 fabric tape
  • Soldering iron and some heat shrink
Mostly the biggest challenge for me was to figure out how to get the factory stereo out. Once out I couldn't believe it was manufactured in 2006 almost 14 years ago. In order to understand how to pry it out I watched some Sprinter tutorials but it wasn't exactly the same. The one video on Youtube by Caraudiolasfuentes that really helped me was (Muchos gracias!):

When prying the front fascia there are tabs both on the top bottom and sides. The vents slide out like funnels and maybe a little downward motion helped. There is only one connector to the module where the emergency light switch is.

Connecting the wiring interface was fairly straightforward. Mostly it is matching the wire colors from the Kenwood stereo harness to the PAC interface. There were some 3.5mm plugs that I did not end up using and a white/red wire. I taped/tucked those away.

The PAC interface maintains steering wheel controls just fine, although you have to be in the Audio menu on the dash to fast forward / go back on songs. Once this is installed, you will not see any audio input info on the small screen in the dash behind the steering wheels. The same goes for navigation (which is fine by me, since the Kenwood screen is big enough, and so is the Carplay navigation.

There is a 3-way switch on the PAC interface to force the backup camera on. It kind of works, but really doesn't. At least not on my vehicle with the tail lift gate. The thing is the camera goes on, but I think it is still tucked inside the casing. So the camera view turns on, but it's completely black. It may work fine on the barn door version. Not a big issue for me, since putting the reverse gear on will trigger the camera to reveal itself and the video is pretty good.

I also had to find good positions for the stereo GPS antenna, and placed it next to the factory GPS antenna up front in the dash below the parking assistance module. I cut the metal sticky plate a little smaller to fit and help with electrical interference. I didn't want to remove any factory wiring because I wasn't sure if I ever wanted to go back.

I also guided the dash cam wire up the A pillar passenger side to the headliner and rearview mirror plastic encasing. To get the wire to be cleanly wired I made the plastic grid a little bigger to fit the cable. At the same time I pulled the aftermarket stereo microphone up there and made a tiny modification to the plastic so the microphone could sit nicely (attached with double-sided tape on the inside). To get a better angle for the microphone pointing more downwards, I heated the plastic slightly and bent it into better position.

All in all I'm very happy with this setup. It entirely changes this vehicle's feeling. I was day dreaming about the Volvo's Bowers & Wilkins Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra setup, but in a way, this system is so nice. I like the display better than the ipad layout in the Volvo. I have not changed any of the speakers yet, and not sure I will.

The dash cam is probably not the best quality but I really like the integration. The assistive features of the dash cam are not dependable (although I read somebody upgraded the firmware with Japanese firmware - and that improved it).

Speaking of firmware. I did download Kenwood's firmware upgrader (once I pulled out my old PC) and made sure to update the PAC interface with the latest firmware. That was pretty easy.

I decided to go with the DMX1057XR and not the more expensive integrated navigation unit because I felt like Carplay was going to do good enough of a job with navigation, and finding that maps like Here allows offline maps sealed the deal.

I'm going to attach photos of my install so that it may help someone else. Good luck with your builds and let me know if you have any questions.

Attachments

See less See more
1 10
#2 ·
Attaching some more photos because I could "only" attach 10 in my original post. I think photos really help.

Attachments

#5 ·
Nice. I have the same dashcam and the Kenwood dnr1007xr. I like it. I do wish that the programmers could offer a better interface on some things, but overall I really like the quality and the volume knob. I would like Kenwood to come out with a more modern dashcam with better resolution. This product is a few years old. I put my mic in about the same place.

#7 ·
@thefinnisher - What year metris did you install this on?

I've got a 2019 cargo with factory backup camera and trying to figure out how to connect the camera to a Kenwood Excelon DMX957XR before I pull the trigger on purchasing the new head unit. Knowing that the PAC RP4.2-MB11 worked for you on a similar metris would be good news :)

#9 ·
Slow to respond to this thread...but alert just popped up and I'm on lunch and a little time to reply.

@river yes the MB video was pretty amazing to watch. I wonder how they auditioned for the technician. The way I installed was watching it in reverse at 2x the speed and it worked out exactly as it should. :)

@pounce I agree, interface design could be improved but the volume knob is surprisingly helpful. I kind of wish they would have made the knob have functionality in a "pulled out-in" state. being able to mute by long press is a nice feature, or clicking once to reveal menu.

The hard buttons below are super nice and they are much more tactile than the capacitive touch. No matter how large the screen is, you still need to look at it to find the best place to click. I actually like the larger bezel because it means you can support your hand on it while you press an icon on the screen. As pounce said, the tire lines and van outlines also remain which is nice.

Fun fact: If you have the Parktronic kit, it does appear to be working, as I once saw a message on the above steering wheel center display for guidance. Never used it yet though or tried it. I think I have parked enough cars to manage (slowly when in doubt - which I think is kind of what the Parktronic does anyways)

@gerstle Mine is a 2019 passenger van. The PAC wire harness should would well. The center dash panel doesn't show anything in NAV or/and Audio but the steering wheel controls work. Same with factory backup camera. At one point I couldn't figure out why Mercedes put the van icon up top right (as it sometimes blocked the view) but then realized it's showing the sensors and how close the corners of the van is from an object. So now it's a positive in my book.

Good luck with your installs!

#19 ·
Yes the purple/white wire is the reverse signal. If you are using the PAC RP4.2-MB11 steering wheel control unit, then that wire should be connected to the respective after marker head unit wire harness. In my case with the Kenwood, the wire color was the same so it was easy to connect.

#20 ·
ok, found it wrapped with 2 other wires labeled GPS Nav. I dont have those wires on my Head Unit so didn't pay attention to them. I hooked it up and it still didn't work, but after fiddling with the three way switch I got it to work. Thank you very much for pointing that out to me.
Any idea what the Red/White wire is coming off of the PAC unit is?
~Freeman
Electrical wiring Amber Networking cables Cable Electricity

#22 ·
Thanks for your time and pics of your install of the Kenwood DMX1057XR, I’ve just installed the same unit in my 2020 about 3 weeks ago, I love everything about the HU but the only issue I’m having is the same issue I had with the DMX957XR which I installed first but did the same thing, the problem I’m having is no matter what gps map I use, it’s all over the place and reads about 4 blocks ahead of where I’m at, it’s super annoying, I don’t need gps a lot but it’s nice for things to work like they should, the tech guys at Crunchfield can’t figure it out either?
The work around I came up with so far when I do need to use gps is the turn off the Wi-Fi on my iPhone and that disconnects Apple CarPlay, then it’s rock solid on my iPhone, but once it’s put back on the big screen it can’t get its coordinates straight, and again its all over the place again.
In searching the internet I’m leaning to maybe the problem being with the VSS pink wire? I wired mine up properly, but am thinking they resistor on that wire might be causing the issue? I’ve read that they can be ran without the VSS wire but haven’t tried it yet. On your install is your gps stable and solid? Did you hook up the pink VSS wire with the resistor that was on that wire in tack? Any help or thoughts would be helpful, thanks.

#24 ·
I did, everything is hooked up properly with the proper parts that came with the unit, so that’s why I’m thinking it has something to do with the VSS wire? Originally I thought is was a bad gps but Crunchfield sent another unit and it did the same thing?

#25 ·
Ah, so you are using the GPS antenna that came with it. Where in the vehicle do you have it located? I try to put them on the drivers side since trees overhang the passenger side. I find it very interesting you have this problem with two different head units.

#26 ·
Yep, three different HU, that’s why I know it’s something other then the units, I’ve tried placing the gps module right under the center speaker cover, on top of the speaker cover, back from the center cover, right side, left side, no matter where I place it, it’s bouncing all over the place? I think the gps signal is ok because it sets the time on the clock without a problem, when going down a straight road several miles long, it shows the correct road but shows me about 4 to 5 blocks further than I am, so before I need to turn its thinks I passed that street so its constantly saying “ recalculating“? Pretty frustrating. When the head unit or the Wi-Fi Is turned off “then CarPlay is disconnected “ then my phone is exactly where it says it is on it’s small screen.
so that’s why I think it might have something to do with the VSS vehicle speed sensor? Maybe it could be a bad PAC RP4.2-MB11? But the steering wheel buttons, voice, up & down volume all work fine.

#27 ·
No problems with GPS in my car (knock on wood). I didn't alter the VSS wire or resistor in anyway.

When you placed your Kenwood GPS pod on the various places, did you affix the sticky metal shield on the bottom of it? I trimmed it a little so it could fit in the center speaker hole underneath the dash:

Not sure how important this shield is but if you don't have it, maybe add one.

#28 ·
Yep thanks for that info, yea I stuck that flexible magnet thing on too, I just called Crunchfield tech support again, he thought I should cut the VSS wire and see if that solves the issue, apparently the latest firmware update on these Kenwood units will let the wireless CarPlay work without it being hooked up? Apparently that VSS wire is supposed to help pinpoint the location if around high buildings or tunnels? Not a lot of tunnels in Salt Lake City and my van isn’t used at all in any other state, So I’ll pull it out tomorrow afternoon and see how it does after cutting the pink VSS wire , thank you all for your fast response, I’ll update here when I’m done and see if it solves my issue, thanks again.

here’s a screenshot from another form, it seemed to solve his issue?
Hood Font Gas Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

#31 ·

I tried this one for the Mercedes boot screen, but apparently it only works on the 6.8” screen & newer Kenwood’s ? I did get it to boot up, but it had several Mercedes emblems going across the screen not in the right aspect ratio? Oh well, maybe someone will update it to work with the 10.1 inch screens?

#32 ·
Update on the VSS wire, pulled the Kenwood Head Unit out this morning, just enough to clip the pink VSS wire, I didn’t want to disconnect the battery again if I didn’t need to. Then put her back together after taping both ends, didn’t want anything to short out, booted her up and a screen popped up saying the VSS wire was disconnected, I hit ok, then everything worked perfectly on all gps maps, no more icon jumping around on the screen or the gps lady saying “proceed to the route 20 times “ then went and did three jobs and it worked flawlessly, Amen,
Thanks for everyone’s input on this issue, it sure is nice to have things working like they’re supposed to! Also the Focal K2 Power 165KRX2 speakers that I fabricated to fit in the doors sound amazing with a new JL Audio 3 channel XD500/3v2 amp that also powers a 8” JL Audio Subwoofer in a box behind the driver seat, so everything seems to be working peachy for now, I’ll update if anything changes, thanks again and hope everyone has a great weekend!