Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Not sure, but those are a crock for computer controlled turbos. A freer-flowing intake is not going to help you without the associated computer programming. The turbo might spool a skosh faster but the M274s spooling is already shockingly fast. It's a lot less help to speed up the already quick than something that's slow.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure, but those are a crock for computer controlled turbos. A freer-flowing intake is not going to help you without the associated computer programming. The turbo might spool a skosh faster but the M274s spooling is already shockingly fast. It's a lot less help to speed up the already quick than something that's slow.
That I didn't know so the paper filter " I'm assuming its paper like every other vehicle I own had" is better then a drop in K&n or what ever other company has those kind of air filter.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I wouldn't. No need. Not necessarily a programming thing, I just don't believe in the product. If it was that awesome, they'd come stock. (Not necessarily in our big box Metris, but maybe a black series sls. But alas, paper all day, everyday) It's washable and reusable, but at what price?

·
Registered
258 Posts
As far as I know, they did ok on carbureted cars but with later cars, the air flow sensors compensated for reduced air flow as the filters become dirty. I don't believe there is any benefit but may cause problems if the oil that is applied to the filter fouls the sensor.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Generally speaking, certain things are really supposed to be replaced. When your air filter gets dirty, buy another one. Japanese and American cars are forgiving with skimpy maintenance- I can assure you that Mercedes are not.

I have often said that one should not change the oil more frequently, because it convinces somebody who changes their oil too often that this is a replacement for the long list of other scheduled maintenance items.

A car is going to cost you about twice its purchase price over a 250k mile service life, all in. (Fuel, maintenance, depreciation, etc etc). That's the truth. If you are going to be doling out that kind of money, why would skimp on filter replacements or scheduled maintenance, which represents relatively skimpy amounts of money?

The cheapest car is the one you already own, until the tin worm gets it. This is simply the truth- it is always long term cheaper to repair than to buy a new one. So maintain it properly to reduce repairs and wax and undercoat it at least twice a year to combat the real killer.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Don't waste your money. It will never out filter a OEM paper filter.

·
Registered
295 Posts
My concern, is over oiling and that puting a film on the Maf. which is $$$. I have K&N filters installed on two of my BMW bikes but they are not as sensitive as this system.

·
Registered
939 Posts
We have manifold pressure sensors. Rpm X MAP = oversimplified fuel map.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts