Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll post story later- wife and grandmother were in the car. We are fine. I don't think it's too bad- only the door is visually damaged.

Question: while the rear door is jammed Shut, the car thinks it is opening. It white images when stationary and red images and beeps when it's moved. Is there any way I can shut it up temporarily?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Sorry to hear that!

With all 3 all you in there get a lawyer you might end up with a new van:smile: I don't know if there is a switch or something at the door to close the circuit when the tailgate is closed but if you can find it try to duct tape it down some how.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that your van got bent, but glad to hear that everyone is OK. I hope that the damage is only minor and doesn't affect any of the important body structure.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So the story. Sorry if its a bit short, or maybe I shouldn't be sorry, but I am still pissed off as all heck.

My grandmother recently (around the time I got BB, actually, since she performed moving duties) into an Erikson Living community. She's 90, and pretty feisty for 90. But she had gotten into a car accident a few years ago that totaled her Corolla and she reached the point where she didn't want to drive anymore. They provide much of her needs their (including 30 large meals a month- the food isn't even bad). But of course she likes getting out and doing things, and I try my very best to go see her and help her with stuff once a week (I live 50 miles away, so its not like we can hop by after work easily- I wish I had the time to do it more!)

So we were by, and offered to take her to Shop Rite, about a mile and a half away. Along the route, there is a point where the road leading from the community (ever noticed how communities of glorified nursing homes are located way the heck and gone where nobody can see them? I mean I know Erikson is the best, and my grandmother is happy here because she has made some friends, but I am not fond of nursing homes, or the way society tends to treat older folk like they are a burden of some sort!) that joins a more major road just prior to an intersection with a major state route. Oh. Probably time for another picture...

The intersection is a pain in the ass, and your can probably see from the sat photo. People come flying towards the intersection at considerable speed, and the location of the stop sign is not ideal- especially considering that green patch is a knoll and obstructs line of sight. I'm familiar with it, and I stop at the sign, and then roll forward until I can ascertain that neither the speeding idiots that drive on the road, nor the Walmart idiots that are stupid enough to shop at Walmart* and also pull out onto the road way too fast, aren't present. Then I accelerate on to the road.

The woman who hit me claims that she had thought that I had gone already, and accelerated without looking. I believe she accelerated without looking. The circumstances she described are in fact plausible. I do wonder, however, if she had been texting or talking on her cell phone (Does that generation of CRV have bluetooth?). It doesn't really matter as she admitted to the responding officer that it was absolutely her fault. Her getting a ticket for distracted driving is not going to improve my life in any discernable way, and she was honest enough to admit her fault, and if she was distracted, I assume she will be more careful in the future. So screw it.

Anyway, I got rear ended in the "pull forward" segment of that process. I have been rear ended twice before, by a late 90's Explorer in my C220 and by a Dodge Dakota in my E300 Diesel. Neither felt nearly as hard as this impact, which is impressive. In those two previous accidents I was driving by far the lighter car (4100 lbs to 3150ibs for the first, 4500lbs to 3600 lbs for the second). In this accident, I was driving by far the heavier car (3400lbs vs 4750 lbs unladen, or 3600lbs vs 5380 laden). I'm not sure what speed she hit me at, but it was enough to dent in the rear door (which is not a flimsy structure, as we all know) about 9 inches.

Then again, the car did what it was designed to do- the door absorbed the impact and none of us were injured, including my 90 year old grandmother.

(* I hate WalMart. Their prices are high, and you can get much better pice/quality ratios at Boscov's, BonTon, Dillard's, and Belk for dry goods, and much better prices on food from Albrecht Diskont (ALDI))

·
Registered
89 Posts
So her front bumper went above the Metris' rear bumper? I thought all bumpers had to have an overlap height so that such collisions would be bumper to bumper?

I guess any accident that ends with one only being pissed off is an OK accident.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't think those laws are still on the book. It's a trade off obviously- if the bumper were higher, so would be the lift over height.

·
Registered
200 Posts
That is going to be an expensive repair.

The accident is text book. The curve after the stop sign takes you out of her peripheral vision as you edge forward into a safe turn. She is looking backward more than 90 degrees to avoid intersecting traffic. Boom.

We have an exact replica of that intersection in my town that causes a rear end accident every couple of weeks.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Make sure you're all OK because people won't feel the pain right away, it might take a few days or a week. Specially your grandma.

I hope the lady won't change her story. Phone/text might be the key if she does. My sister got rear ended on her S550 when a lady changed lane near the traffic light and didn't see the traffic was slowing down to a red light. She got ticket and admit didn't see the red light at the time. Later, she hired a lawyer and said my sister got into her lane and sudden stop. My sister still won the case but it was a long process. Your case is you were from a stop sign so who knows what lawyers can do ...

About claiming to repair your van, IMO work with the other party insurance company instead of yours and get reimbursed later. We used to use our policy to fix and rent the car but last time I tried to use their insurance and it works better on repair and rental.

Thinking about getting a rear view recording unit, and the front too.

Just my $0.0000002.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I want a front and rear, but don't want to have to wire it in.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
The initial estimate came in at about $2150, which isn't bad, I guess. The adjuster seemed to think that it would end up somewhat higher once they started taking things apart. I believe him.

However, while my wife looked under the car she found something odd. I don't think its important, but I want to know what it is.

Its a soft rubber line, easily stretchable. It doesn't seem to have any substance to it, so it may have been a vacuum or air line of some sort, or- I suspect- a rubbing insulator of some sort. I'm really directing this question to you Robb- what is it? And should I race to the dealer about it, or take my time? Also it looks cut. Should I be worried about somebody running around cutting random rubber lines on my car?

Passenger side, just under the passenger door.

·
Registered
939 Posts
It's for the optional toilet. #1 only.

It's overflow for the batteries. It's cut for airflow (or something)

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Could somebody check something out for me? My side doors aren't locking when I hit the fob; I can only lock them manually by pushing the plunger down. I think this is because the car thinks the back tailgate is unlatched. The fronts lock fine. Could someone open their tailgate and see if this prevents their sliders from locking?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Could someone open their tailgate and see if this prevents their sliders from locking?
Never noticed that before, but yes the sliders remain unlocked when the tailgate is open. Guessing they're on the same circuit that can't actuate when the back is open? Also don't get the lock bleep when that occurs.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts