Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Issues in order of relevance;
Valve lifter rattle, intermittent and only when vehicle is first driven. Always allowed to warm up for minimum one minute. I don't push the performance of the van, and certainly not during warm up!

I noticed a slip in the transmission the other day during a hard acceleration. 5,000+ RPMs without the corresponding vehicle thrust. The wheels were not slipping.

Today, with high winds, speed control engaged, an uncomfortable shutter during slight incline acceleration.

One or more brakes squeaks upon every brake application. I'm very easy on the brakes.

The Auto start/stop feature, shuts the engine off when I pull into a parking spot, only to start up again as I put it in Park. Just to shut it off again.

The rear window washer does not have enough pressure to reach the blade area.

·
Registered
598 Posts
The Auto start/stop feature, shuts the engine off when I pull into a parking spot, only to start up again as I put it in Park. Just to shut it off again.
The Eco S/S doesn't know if you're stopped at a parking spot or road signal light. Mine does the same thing if I put it in park while in 'Stop' mode. Just shut off the ignition without placing the shifter into Park first and it will not start. Transmission goes into Park when you switch off ignition in this case.

Reactions: MetrisMaineiac

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
1) the M274 is not a quiet engine. Are you sure it's not rail chatter?

2) I've never experienced slip. I do experience shuddering from time to time. I have experienced this with every automatic Mercedes I have ever owned- some with hundreds of thousands of miles, and I have never needed a tranny fixed. Mention it to your dealer but if they say in spec... they do that.

3) it definitely does that. You have seven speeds on that thing. It hunts a bit on inclines, especially at sustained speeds over 80-90 mph.

4) German brakes squeak. The material used on the pads is used without regard to squeaking, only towards stopping. Dieter Zetchse (to tired to spell check) has even made fun of customers complaining about same. You'll appreciate the choice eventually, when you sit there stopped, shocked that you are.

5) that's working to spec. It doesn't hurt the engine.

6) it's a top shooter. How can you not have enough pressure?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, and thanks! I don't know what rail chatter is, but the last time I heard this sort of rattle, it was a stuck lifter that eventually caused failure and a hole in the valve cover!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hi, and thanks! I don't know what rail chatter is, but the last time I heard this sort of rattle, it was a stuck lifter that eventually caused failure and a hole in the valve cover!
Rail chatter is the noise made by direct injection engines. I doubt it is an issue as these are noisy engines they are not old school push rod motors.

·
Registered
946 Posts
The good news is if they're is a problem, you have 28,400 miles for it to work itself out.

And pull the key out to park it. It really is a nice feature.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I have going to complain about the break squeak but I noticed after drive a few minutes and the break get warm up it stops. Yes I will agree on the rear wiper washer it is weak to reach half of the window I have the barn doors.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Could the crosswind assist feature be involved with the shaking on the windy day?

I do find the engine is noisier than I expected, but I am now at 34,000 miles, and the sound hasn't changed so hoping it is normal.

My brakes to tend to squeak a bit as well and have since new. I was told it is a Mercedes thing.

I gotta say I am surprised you are pushing 5000 rpms on such a new vehicle! Don't really know if modern engines need the babying I give them when they are new, but I would cringe at that high an rpm!

·
Registered
946 Posts
I gotta say I am surprised you are pushing 5000 rpms on such a new vehicle! Don't really know if modern engines need the babying I give them when they are new, but I would cringe at that high an rpm!
I did 1000 miles as my break in. Shortly after, I joined the 101 club.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
I wouldn't call crosswind assist a shudder. It feels sort of like a weird oscillation. The car moves in the direction the wind pushes it and then the system pulls it back.

I assume that the 5000 rpm spin was related to the fact that it slipped, becausecwithvthe tranny slipping it would essentially have no resistance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts