Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve found a what looks to be a nice used 2016 Silver Cargo Metris on Carvana. I’m wondering if perhaps it used to belong to one of our forum members. If so, I’d like to get some details on its history, whether you think it’s a good purchase, etc. I’ve put the link below:

Any input from others is welcome as well, thanks.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Given its floor and side rails, wall panels and extra key it appears to be a commercial delivery vehicle of some sort. Whether that equates to more wear and tear is anyone's guess. Multiple drivers can lead to a situation where each feels less personally responsible for the care of the van. Mine was a parts delivery van but for a MB dealership so any abuse would be noticed at maintenance intervals.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
1,438 Posts
It's a good find. Looks like its in good shape from the pictures, but Carvana is very skilled. I didn't find history of this van in auction history.

I have had people tell me their Carvana experience was challenging. That said they do a lot of business so I don't think that is always the case.

I did not own this van, but it's life was local to me. That Alpharetta dealer is my dealer.

Good luck. If I was looking for a cargo van I'd like this one.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
The price is a bit high. That being said, I’d be shocked if this was a fleet vehicle; appearance package, comfort seats, heated seats, and metallic paint are all pricey options that fleet purchasing are likely to not order. I would say this was somebodies personal vehicle, albeit likely for some sort of business use.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
1,438 Posts
The price is a bit high.
It's actually not that far off the MMR value. It's giving Carvana a more or less typical used car profit margin. I'd say its a fair price if the mechanicals are in good shape. Clean van with a good color and as you mentioned it has some premium options.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Edt: Never mind. I see that's normal for rear barn doors.

Wouldn't the upper black trim beside the rear windows along with the painted bumpers indicate that either the trim itself or the bumpers have been replaced or painted?

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
1,438 Posts
Edt: Never mind. I see that's normal for rear barn doors.

Wouldn't the upper black trim beside the rear windows along with the painted bumpers indicate that either the trim itself or the bumpers have been replaced or painted?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to everyone for the input so far! I'm inclined to complete the purchase. This will be a weekend camper/road trip mobile.

I did not own this van, but it's life was local to me. That Alpharetta dealer is my dealer.

Good luck. If I was looking for a cargo van I'd like this one.
I'm going to ask RMB Alpharetta if they can perform a pre-purchase inspection. Maybe I can get some clues as to its service history as well, since the Carfax indicates they did most of the maintenance.

·
Registered
210 Posts
The apparent lack of scuffs on the rear wheel houses suggests this van saw very little hauling duty. I've seen new vans on dealer lots with more scratches in the cargo bay.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Purchase is pending, I'll post updates for the Carvana curious.

RMB Alpharetta doesn't do pre-purchase inspections anymore, and Mercedes of Knoxville is booked up. I haven't heard back from Mercedes of Nashville. Does anyone have any shop recommendations within an hour or two of Chattanooga, TN?

The price is a bit high. That being said, I’d be shocked if this was a fleet vehicle; appearance package, comfort seats, heated seats, and metallic paint are all pricey options that fleet purchasing are likely to not order. I would say this was somebodies personal vehicle, albeit likely for some sort of business use.
I've got a referral code which is supposed to knock $500 off the price too, so that helps a bit. I've been entertaining myself by speculating what what business use kept the cargo area so clean. Wedding cakes, perhaps?
The apparent lack of scuffs on the rear wheel houses suggests this van saw very little hauling duty. I've seen new vans on dealer lots with more scratches in the cargo bay.
I noticed that as well. I'm hopeful it's a good sign for the rest of the van.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The van will be delivered Friday the 13th (yikes). I used a referral code and the price ended up being $20,490. We'll soon see if it's as well-kept as the pictures make it look. I have a seven day/400 mile trial period to decide if I want to keep it.

Mercedes of Knoxville managed to squeeze me in to get a pre-purchase inspection done, so thanks to them. I've been wrenching on cars practically my whole life, but I'm going to leave this one to the pros.

·
Registered
596 Posts
My '16 has roughly same miles. good to see value is holding up on these nice equip'd cargos.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Got my van! My initial impressions are very favorable, both with the model and this particular van. The cargo area is every bit as clean as the pictures would lead one to believe. The only issue so far is squeaky brakes, but I'll check that out over the next few days. I've never so much as sat in a Metris before today, but I'm sold on it being the model for my needs. I can see why people say it's the perfect combo of size, handling, and ride.

We'll see how the inspection goes next week before deciding on whether to keep it. I'm almost hoping it comes back bad, so I'll have an excuse to order a new one with exactly the options I want!

·
Registered
322 Posts
...squeaky brakes...
Good luck with it.

I got it right the first day on the way home on my passenger in Nov 2015 with less than 10 miles on it. Numerous times coming back to the dealer and no fix, they said it's fine like that. I was embarrassed for a first couple of years but now I kind of like it to let people around that I'm next to them:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The inspection results came back good, no problems with the van. The only issue is they were unable to verify that the 30,000 mile transmission fluid was performed. If I decide to keep it, I'll need to get that done along with the 45,000 mile spark plug change, which adds about a grand to this van purchase putting me at $21,500 total.

I'm thinking this is near the top of the price range for this van, but from all appearances it's well-maintained and in excellent condition. The alternative right now is ordering a 2021 with the options I want (135wb, liftgate, etc.) but I'd be looking at close to 40k. Decisions, decisions.

·
Registered
Metris Cargo 135 2020
565 Posts
It looks in great shape.

I agree that this was not a fleet vehicle, due to the appearance options and interior & exterior condition of the vehicle. With most trades and hauling the cargo interior and back bumper would show their age and use.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts