Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Metris Cargo 135 2020
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have carefully prodded on the right side, where there looks to be a small cutout for a screw driver / little pry tool, but nothing is moving ... and I'd rather not break any tabs.

Automotive parking light Vehicle Automotive lighting Car Hood

Reason being, I may try to tie-in some of my LED strips, at least temporarily. As it seems that the fixed length LED strip was no match for my serious attempt at covering the whole ceiling and doing the super tedious 90 degree little flex thingies overhead. With power from the rear, light only wants to travel half way.

Line Electricity Beam Air travel Ceiling

Checked connections. Seems there is too much resistance due to length, even though the connectors are for that ribbon style. My options are to split it half with two small circuits, or maybe tie in the front part into the dome light ... or just scrap it and start over. Maybe just do a straight line down the middle.

Anyway. I would like to have a look behind that dome light, without breaking anything.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I have carefully prodded on the right side, where there looks to be a small cutout for a screw driver / little pry tool, but nothing is moving ... and I'd rather not break any tabs.

View attachment 21481

Reason being, I may try to tie-in some of my LED strips, at least temporarily. As it seems that the fixed length LED strip was no match for my serious attempt at covering the whole ceiling and doing the super tedious 90 degree little flex thingies overhead. With power from the rear, light only wants to travel half way.

View attachment 21482

Checked connections. Seems there is too much resistance due to length, even though the connectors are for that ribbon style. My options are to split it half with two small circuits, or maybe tie in the front part into the dome light ... or just scrap it and start over. Maybe just do a straight line down the middle.

Anyway. I would like to have a look behind that dome light, without breaking anything.
I removed mine to install an LED to replace the incandescent.
I pried slowly from the right. I recall seeing an internal tab/plastic retainer spring that finally released the light fixture, but I can't recall for sure. I was slow and careful because I felt at risk of breaking it, but going slow did it!

Reactions: icerabbit

·
Registered
22 Posts
you need to be careful with some leds, i tried to replace mine with leds and while the van is running a small amount of feed current still caused the light to stay dim. i had to install a resistor to make up for the feed current.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Slide screwdriver in from right side; will release plastic catch. Easy as pie. Careful when adding led strips to existing light circuit; that fixture dims out slowly when doors close so leds must be compatible with same amount of load so as not to confuse the canbus system.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
you need to be careful with some leds, i tried to replace mine with leds and while the van is running a small amount of feed current still caused the light to stay dim. i had to install a resistor to make up for the feed current.
No problem with the Ali LED's I installed. I do have the factory rear LED panel. Maybe that's why?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts