Registered
1,350 Posts
Most unfortunate.

Reactions: A.Vandelay

·
Super Moderator
Metris Cargo 135 2020
1,097 Posts
I am very curious how this is being blamed on engine availability.

The lack of big sales numbers are because MB in the US refused to make it a comparatively good option to the typical passenger minivan. Keeping it back feature wise compared to some of the EU spec versions, meant it was going to get hammered in passenger reviews for human comfort and appeal, as behind the times.

Whether passenger or cargo … where was the promotion? Relative to some domestic brands, it should be a slam dunk based on volume and capabilities, especially when Dodge/Ram stopped with their minivan cargo model; for anybody who wants something smaller than a full size. But it seems only people who shop based on particular features were/able to discover this van on their own.

The van garners positive views and some questions in many a parking lot … just little behind in creature comforts, appeal and reviews.

·
Super Moderator
273 Posts
I am very curious how this is being blamed on engine availability.
I think what's implied is that Metris sales don't justify the investment in an engine update.

The lack of big sales numbers are because MB in the US refused to make it a comparatively good option to the typical passenger minivan.
The austerity and inflexibility of the rear seating must have badly hurt sales of the Metris Passenger. Especially after Doug Demuro spent the better part of half an hour berating the van mainly for that reason in a video that's the been #1 search result for "Mercedes Metris" four years running.

What's crazy is that Mercedes had all the parts to do it right - they make Vitos with four rails, adjustable seats, pop-out rear windows, etc. Offering these features in the North American market would have made the Metris viable for many private owners, and no worse for commercial operators.

Mercedes other own goal was segregating passenger car sales and Metris sales. Most US dealers didn't sell them or were hostile to selling them, and worse, they wouldn't service them. Some owners have to drive hundreds of miles for warranty service. That doesn't seem like the way to break in to a new market.

·
Super Moderator
Metris Cargo 135 2020
1,097 Posts
... but why would the 4 cylinder engine we have need an update in NA? Is there a particular law / emission thing that is causing trouble for the Metris? Isn't the same engine used in other MB 4 cyl? I'm far from current on MB and especially engines, but I thought the engine family was common for vehicles like in A B C series.

I completely agree that MB dropped the ball, updated interior, 4 rails ... they already have it. Don't reinvent the wheel. MB should be a bit lux ... they should have brought it here, especially for the passenger version.

... and yeah, that video, shows up any time you try to find anything Metris. Thanks, Google.

·
Registered
248 Posts
... but why would the 4 cylinder engine we have need an update in NA? Is there a particular law / emission thing that is causing trouble for the Metris? Isn't the same engine used in other MB 4 cyl? I'm far from current on MB and especially engines, but I thought the engine family was common for vehicles like in A B C series.

I completely agree that MB dropped the ball, updated interior, 4 rails ... they already have it. Don't reinvent the wheel. MB should be a bit lux ... they should have brought it here, especially for the passenger version.

... and yeah, that video, shows up any time you try to find anything Metris. Thanks, Google.
Pretty sure the m274 was replaced in cars like 5 years ago. It’s a relative dinosaur being 11 years old. I’m sure it’s just being put out to pasture like the 7G transmission.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Yes M274 was replaced several years ago for the metris and autos. They can make the engines but their margins are too low on these vans. I love this van, but would never buy a MB product again. There are two plants I know of that makes these 4 cyc. one in Germany and a joint venture with Nissan in Tennessee where they are just assembling the parts for MB and then ship engines to Alabama for their auto line.

·
Registered
55 Posts
IMO the lack of Metris sales is due to the lack of marketing in the commercial sector. the Metris fits right in with its size and cargo space
i'm a fabricator in SF and the Metris is the perfect vehicle for the city.
With the given door opening dimensions i can load more than 48 4'x 8' plywood sheets if i have to. and the cargo space is actually fairly bigger than 4x4x8.
The Ford transit connect and Nissan NV are too short. The Sprinter, Promaster, Econoline etc are just too big for the city, 50% too much volume. then there is the matter of FWD (promaster), bad fuel economy, and so on.
i'm always surprised that fuel economy doesn't seem to matter in the commercial sector.
now, the perfect vehicle would be a Metris with 4wd and hybrid technology. oh well, just a dream...

·
Registered
20 Posts
IMO the lack of Metris sales is due to the lack of marketing in the commercial sector. the Metris fits right in with its size and cargo space
i'm a fabricator in SF and the Metris is the perfect vehicle for the city.
With the given door opening dimensions i can load more than 48 4'x 8' plywood sheets if i have to. and the cargo space is actually fairly bigger than 4x4x8.
The Ford transit connect and Nissan NV are too short. The Sprinter, Promaster, Econoline etc are just too big for the city, 50% too much volume. then there is the matter of FWD (promaster), bad fuel economy, and so on.
i'm always surprised that fuel economy doesn't seem to matter in the commercial sector.
now, the perfect vehicle would be a Metris with 4wd and hybrid technology. oh well, just a dream...
4WD was their downfall.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, this week's Death of the Metris notice was a big disappointment. Thought I'd see more tears being shed here. Agree that MBUS underplayed their hand. Wondering if our owned vans will increase or decrease in value over the years, compared to having new units available. I got mine 1.5 years ago and converted it to a pop-top camper. Loving it and finding it to be fairly trouble-free. Feeling bad for those companies that specialize in camper conversions. Where will they turn? And why doesn't VW sell (the inferior) T-6 here in the US? I'm hoping to drive mine into the dirt, so it likely doesn't matter much about the value.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passenger
2,320 Posts
I'm sad about it, but like you I plan to keep mine. I'm buying another even though they are ending the offering. I have some concerns about maint costs post my 7/140k warranty, but what to do?

New van options are on the horizon. If I can get a plug in van with camping mode climate and a poptop in the next 5 years I'll switch. I'm in a warm climate. Using the vehicle air conditioning plugged into a charger would be a perfect world. One day...

Don't worry about the larger up fitters. They have a supply of vans and timing wise they should be able to take on the new platforms and keep going.

·
Registered
6 Posts
YES.
I just read yesterday in an auto news website that Metris export to the US was ending despite increased demand. Mercedes indicated they will continue to fulfil a contract with USPS for an arranged number of vehicles. The End Comes for the Mercedes-Benz Metris - The Detroit Bureau

I'm very late to the Metris party and just found this forum...

After months of looking at <gasp> Promaster City vans I finally realized that a Metris is perfect for what I want: a comfortable daily driver that my wife and I can use as a camper on long road trips (and will fit in my tiny driveway).

I'm in northern California and finding a new Metris is difficult at best... was just talking with a dealer about ordering one with distronic/adaptive-cruise and he told me they're only getting one more because the Metris is being discontinued?! Has anybody else heard this??

·
Registered
76 Posts
I recently received the news today about the Metris production ending. In a rather unkind online article titled, The Metris is leaving because, "no one wanted it". I hope that the ability to get spares will be available. Americans seemed to hate the van so much. I have never seen so much hate for a car before, other than say a Prius. Everyone has hated on the van. I found the Metris to be the perfect size van. But these days in the west, everyone wants bigger. Giant Pickup trucks, SUV's, Crossovers and other oversized stuff to block up the highways. Its too bad. The Metris/V-Klasse really could have been something here but Americans are too stupid and stuck in their ways. Comparing the Metris to Soccer Mom wagon. Its a Transporter, like the T4's and such. Not an inflated stationwagon. The metris had a great balance between utility and comfort. I haul bikes and books in my van so having, tv headrests, wood trim and plush seats would not have helped me. Anyhow, just like the Mercedes A Klasse, (not the cheap American version) but the actual Deutsch A Klasse small auto. It was a great little micro car for city driving. Would have been great in some usa cities. Not good for highways and such but it was a neat smartcar like auto. But again ,Americans want big, giant Pickup truck sized cars and such. They are supposed to be ending the petrol version of the Sprinter too. All usa sold sprinters will be Diesel powered. I guess we will never see the Citan in the states.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passenger
2,320 Posts
You have a very unique view. You think people hate this van and you can't stop calling it a V Klasse. You are also pigeon holing folks in an unnessesary way that I personally find offensive.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Well, this week's Death of the Metris notice was a big disappointment. Thought I'd see more tears being shed here. Agree that MBUS underplayed their hand. Wondering if our owned vans will increase or decrease in value over the years, compared to having new units available. I got mine 1.5 years ago and converted it to a pop-top camper. Loving it and finding it to be fairly trouble-free. Feeling bad for those companies that specialize in camper conversions. Where will they turn? And why doesn't VW sell (the inferior) T-6 here in the US? I'm hoping to drive mine into the dirt, so it likely doesn't matter much about the value.
Well, I am disappointed to read the Metris is going away. I really like my 2020 126" cargo van. It is my first M-B vehicle and based on my good experience with the van and the dealer I had planned on buying a 2nd more expensive M-B vehicle.

In fact earlier this year I looked to buy an AMG C43 but the local dealer had none in stock. There were some around the nearest one around 180 miles away. I asked my local M-B dealer about him swapping cars with the more distant dealer and was told dealers don't want to swap or sell cars to other dealers. They want to sell them to retail customers only. In short no swap.

I didn't want to buy from the distant dealer -- nothing against the distant dealer just not wanting the extra work to drive there and do a deal and drive back home -- but wanted a new car so I walked next door and bought a new 2022 BMW 230i. So I have the M-B van and a new BMW 230i. While the BMW is a very nice car -- so far one of my top 3 and it could climb to be the #2 on my list of top cars -- I still had plans to buy an AMG C43 at some point.

But with the Metris being discontinued... Think I have bought my 1st and last M-B. But if the 230i proves to be a good car I will buy another BMW.

·
Registered
4 Posts
A few days ago, I saw this thread and like many here was disappointed about MBUSA and its decision. Before we bought our used 2016 Metris, in 6/2020, I had read about the good, bad and ugly of the Metris that owners (thankfully) posted on this forum but yet we bought knowing the possible future maintenance issues. Cringe! Knowing something about maintenance history, US market plus the fact that MB, Vito, parts and chassis are used worldwide is somewhat comforting until faced with urgency of needing repairs of our own.

We've never bought a new MB but have owned several used ones and like those I imagine independent shop owners will become more fluent in Metris maintenance and parts should be available for years to come due to MB's use across it's fleet, both new, used, foreign and domestic. As a good example of this benefit we can thank @Metros for his insightful use of a part from another chassis to repair his "Crankcase Purge Valve" pg11, issue. That innovation significantly reduces parts and labor costs. Hopefully examples, like this, will become more prevalent as Metris owners are weaned off MB maintenance plans.

Yes, we could become a dying breed but over many years. During this time I wouldn't be surprised to see current and new independent shops target the Metris for extensive rebuilds involving chassis, paint, more convenient and/or special outfitting. DYI Owners will certainly become more fluent in basic and more complex maintenance tasks and tools to support that effort should become more accommodating and cost effective in preserving the Metris as a useful vehicle.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts