Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm very late to the Metris party and just found this forum...

After months of looking at <gasp> Promaster City vans I finally realized that a Metris is perfect for what I want: a comfortable daily driver that my wife and I can use as a camper on long road trips (and will fit in my tiny driveway).

I'm in northern California and finding a new Metris is difficult at best... was just talking with a dealer about ordering one with distronic/adaptive-cruise and he told me they're only getting one more because the Metris is being discontinued?! Has anybody else heard this??

·
Registered
44 Posts
he told me they're only getting one more because the Metris is being discontinued?! Has anybody else heard this?
Dealers lie every day of the week. I have heard this once before, but it usually means the dealer has no more allocation.

I have ordered/bought dozens of vehicles, many of them completely oddball and custom, and yet it took me 2-1/2 years to finally get my Metris. They are hard to find and dealers don't seem interested on ordering or selling them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply... I did find it strange that I couldn't find anything online about the model being discontinued. I hope he's full of it and the Metris doesn't get replaced with something like the Citan.

·
Super Moderator
Metris Cargo 135 2020
1,097 Posts
Personally, I sincerely doubt it and take anything a dealer says with a giant grain of salt, because I have been flat out lied to more times by car sales people than I can remember. They literally want to steer sales to something on the lot for same day sale. If they don't have one they will push for so ething else.

Of course when it comes to passenger vans, the various other mainstream minivans remain the most popular in the US. In the category, the only things I heard of being discontinued, is the Dodge Grand Caravan and the commercial Nissan vans. I think it would be a huge mistake if MB were to discontinue Metris sales now that its popularity is finally gaining traction. Allocation may also be limited with the USPS waiting on numerous thousands of them, and popularity of the Vito on other continents.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Icerabbit is right. It's an allocation and supply chain issue for the most part. Metris vans will be extremely hard to find while the USPS order works it's way through the factory. We were responsible for sales of more Metris vans into the market than any other account than the USPS and our 2022 allocation is nowhere near what we requested nor what the market could absorb. Alas, we'll still have a ton of happy 2022 customers but not as many as we could.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm very late to the Metris party and just found this forum...

After months of looking at <gasp> Promaster City vans I finally realized that a Metris is perfect for what I want: a comfortable daily driver that my wife and I can use as a camper on long road trips (and will fit in my tiny driveway).

I'm in northern California and finding a new Metris is difficult at best... was just talking with a dealer about ordering one with distronic/adaptive-cruise and he told me they're only getting one more because the Metris is being discontinued?! Has anybody else heard this??
I got lucky and found a MB dealership in 2019 that had several low mile used vans. I purchased my van to get It converted at Keystone into something like a Weekender. I only mention this because it looks like Keystone has several new vans in there inventory.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
all great points, thanks for clearing it up. I don't mind waiting for a van... I'm just glad to hear they're not stopping production and that I'll eventually have a shot at getting one with the options I want.
Order yours and wait. I waited from January 2018 to December 2018, but I got a van configured precisely as I wished.

As an aside, the MBVANS configurator has a most bizarre requirement that MUST be an error. In order to get heated rear windows and wipers, you are forced to get a cargo partition. Huh? Why get rear windows if you have a partition, even if it's see-through? Anyway, it would not be an acceptable combo if I were buying again.

Rectangle Font Screenshot Number Software

·
Registered
2020 cargo 126wb
298 Posts
Most likely that is an error in the configuration. Make decisions based on the current DOG. In model year 2020, sliding door glass forced the partition, therefore order without side glass and get it aftermarket if you don’t want partition. Another reason to resist the partition is that having it precludes the air duct to the rear compartment.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I spoke with a regional van fleet sales manager today who said that you can order for 2022 or 2023 if you find someone with an allocation, but that for 2024, the Metris passenger van will be revamped/rebranded with another name.

I wonder if this means the Vito is coming our way?? One can dream!

·
Super Moderator
Metris Cargo 135 2020
1,097 Posts
Interesting. I look forward to hearing and seeing more.

A refresh on the Metris would be quite welcome. It is always a bit painful to look at the home country and see so many extra models variants, and, especially looking at the V-klasse and the EQV; it seems like we are one generation behind. Hopefully a bit newer bumper on the nose, cockpit dash option and updated lighting front and rear.

I did read that the next e-Vito / electric model is going to have far better range ( 200 miles? ) and get fast charging options. That could be quite exciting. Though personally, with mid range and long range NA driving being a necessity ... I am still pondering: where are the various hybrids? I always considered diesel hybrid the next logical choice. MB had a few in NA, and then they were abandoned. Too costly, complex, not enough buyers? ...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just got word from my salesman.
  1. Metris is not being discontinued for the m/y 2023.
  2. The Q2 allocation will not be fulfilled for both Metris Passenger and Sprinter Passenger due to the worldwide shortage of ... no, not chips - seating. This automatically pushes my ETA from August/September into the end of the year. If I am lucky. Won't be surprised if I end up with a 2023 model.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Did your salesman have any thoughts on whether ordering the “upfitter option” of the PV with 4 rails and no rear seats would go through for 2022 since the front seats for the cargo and PV are the same?

My order was submitted early March but I haven’t heard back from my salesman.

Just got word from my salesman.
  1. Metris is not being discontinued for the m/y 2023.
  2. The Q2 allocation will not be fulfilled for both Metris Passenger and Sprinter Passenger due to the worldwide shortage of ... no, not chips - seating. This automatically pushes my ETA from August/September into the end of the year. If I am lucky. Won't be surprised if I end up with a 2023 model.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
These delays are not limited to a seating shortage. Seems like the only things different between the 11.5 month wait for my 2018 and now are the reasons. My order was in January of 2018. Van built in mid-June (it's stamped everywhere). Arrived Ladson September. Rail car shortage, EPA didn't certify the 135's, yada, yada, van delivered to me on December 18, 2018. On the positive side, I only had $500 as a deposit and the late delivery of an essentially model year old van made for a strong price negotiating position with my dealer -- this was pre-Getaway and pre-COVID "van life" B.S.

Smart alecky-ness aside, I think the dealer went out of their way to keep me updated and treat me well. They've continued to provide excellent service, certainly better than any car dealer I've had to deal with. They're good enough that I actually prefer having them service it, at least until they ELW runs in 2025, after which I'll do my own oil changes, filter changes, brakes and rotors, spark plugs, and transmission fluid changes, i.e., basic maintenance that does not require diagnosis.

If I were buying today, I would definitely want the Distronic for freeway driving. I'd also get the cargo protection package to get the Con-pearl panels and L-tracks. And I highly recommend the cold weather and additional battery packages if you are upfitting a cargo van. The cold weather adds a bunch of insulation bags the DOG doesn't mention, in addition to heated seats and a heated and extra-capacity windshield washer reservoir. The heated seats are the bomb for early mornings in cold weather, camping or going to work!

Reactions: imacd
1 - 20 of 61 Posts