Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember seeing on here that the interior bolts (cargo van) are 8mm and 6mm. Which metal/composite is best to use? Which is strongest? Stainless steel? Should plumbers tape be used? Does it matter that it is metal to metal? I am sorry for the simple questions.

·
Registered
943 Posts
What are you bolting down? Plumber's tape shouldn't be used unless you are keeping your pipes from leaking (Loctite may be what you need).

Reactions: Lala

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
I personally suggest solid brass. I have never seen an old fastener easier to remove than the solid brass torx units used by PSA in the 70s and 80s. (Thats Peugeot Société Anonyme, a French automobile manufacturer once known for building the most rugged automobiles not coming out of Stuttgart.)

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have usually used metric grade 8.8 for most uses 10.8 for high torque needs. They should be plated. I don't believe that stainless is very strong, but I may be wrong

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My plan is to secure angle irons (?) to the back sides to hold boards for a platform bed/desk. I am short, so I think that I can sleep width wise:)

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
1,032 Posts
My plan is to secure angle irons (?) to the back sides to hold boards for a platform bed/desk. I am short, so I think that I can sleep width wise:)
There are better options.

For the platform check out this harbor freight folding ramp. Its basically a light weight, but strong structure. You can adjust its length and then add your own material to the top. This is a very common use of this product among DIY van owners.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1500-lb-Capacity-Tri-Fold-Aluminum-Loading-Ramp-69595.html

Also, if you are really considering making some changes to panels etc consider adding the tie down tracks below the rear windows. You can see the location in the upfitter guide. An option would be to use a track and some type of fitting that would suspend your platform. You could use unistrut or similar also, but a standard track type might give you better options for use when not a platform.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts