Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally got my Scopema seat for my 2016 passenger van. Now the fun begins. I had it installed by a local shop but I have since pulled it out to deal with several issues.

1. I was told that I could install the seat over my finished floor but that was mistake number one. It must be bolted directly to the metal floor of the van. Not just because of safety but the seat back is so high that it makes it so you barely see anything out the rear view mirrow. Unless we are driving with more than two people we'll probably just keep the bed flat so we can see better. Oh let me also mention that if you're bigger than about 5'8" your head hits the headliner.

2. I tried to impress on the installers that I needed the seat mounted as far as possible to the passenger side wall so my sink/stove cabinet will fit. They had it almost centered between the sides. I have taken off the side panels and removed the speaker. I can almost get enough room for the cabinets now. It will be very tight.

3. I have auto open/close doors on both sides and the mechanism that drives the door is giving me my next dilemma.

Does anyone know if you can disable/remove the auto door feature and make it a manual door?

If I could get rid of that contraption, I would gain a couple more inches to make everything work. I might be doing some creative carving with my grinder to get the distance I need.

If I had to do it all over again, I would get a cargo van or at least a bare bones passenger. All the extra features just take up too much room. Don't even get me started on how I'm going to work around the back air conditioner.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Scopema and other camper bed seat!

Hello,
Can you give me the particulars on the seat installation,,, where? ,, Cost?
Thanks Bill

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got the seat from Travois in Canada. It took almost 6 months for it to get here from France but he may have some in stock now. It cost $3690 which included shipping. The installers charged $570, but I ended up taking the seat back out as they didn't get it right. If you can go to Canada, Daniel, the owner of Travois says he does the install for free!

If I had to do it all over I would only put it in a cargo van. I have had to squeeze it into my passenger van and can barely get the fridge/stove/sink to fit in the space left over. If you have the automatic doors the mechanism really limits your placement.

The seat back is really tall and makes it hard to see out the rear view mirror. We will be driving with the bed down unless we are carrying passengers. If you're tall, you won't want to sit back there as you'll hit your head on the roof of the van. The bed is really nice but the other factors make it hard to recommend. I also had some trouble remounting the seat given my tight tolerances. I might look to GTRV or some other outfitter for a seat with lap belts. His set up seems simpler and maybe cheaper.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Sorry to hear about your troubles. The bench looks pretty cool though. My van is normally the family truckster and I want to add a bench-bed at some point, but I also sometimes pull out all benches to haul sheet goods.

Does the Scopema bench have quick-disconnects like the factory benches?

BTW, I pulled the battery for some other work while my door was open and I had to manually close it to reactivate the power mechanism afterwards. It wasn't difficult to move, so maybe you could just disconnect the wiring if you wanted to disable. I'm not sure about the closing mechanism though since it seems to suck the door shut instead of relying on slamming. Why disable?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The seat is bolted to the floor of the van. No easy way to get it in or out. The reason I'd like to remove the door closer is to gain more interior space for cabinets. I think I've got things squeezed in now with the closer mechanism still in place. Good thing as Mercedes service said reverting to a manual door would not work.

You could take a look at kenetube on youtube. He has a great video of him installing his Scopema seat in his Sprinter on custom made rails that he had manufactured in England. They were pretty pricy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts