Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For my "house battery", I use an INERGY KODIAK PORTABLE SOLAR GENERATOR (https://inergytek.com/products/kodiak) which is basically a 90 amp-hour lithium ion battery combined with a 1000-watt inverter and PWM charge controller. I have expanded the capacity of the system by adding a another 100 amp-hour battery wired in parallel. To charge the system, I use a car charger supplied by Inergy that plugs into 12v/15amp "cigarette lighter" outlet in the third row which should get me up to 180 watts of power while the engine is on.

I have purchased a 160 watt flexible solar panel that I would like to mount on my SCA 152 pop-top and wire into the system. Ideally, I would like to charge from both sources at the same time. So I have a few questions:

1) Has anyone installed a flexible solar panel on the SCA152? After a bunch of research, I'm planning on mounting the panel with 3m Dual-lock. This will elevate the panel slightly (helping dissipate heat) and allow for removal if replacement is necessary (flexible panels fail more often than rigid ones). I'm not sure where to drill and route the wire (12-gauge). Any suggestions?

2) Can I use both the 12v/180 watt car outlet and the 12v/160 watt solar panel at the same time? It seems to me that I could wire the outlets and solar panel in parallel ahead of the PWM controller in the INERGY KODIAK - basically treating the car outlet as another solar panel. They have similar characteristics: the solar panel will be delivering about 10 amps @ 12v under good conditions during the day and the and the car outlet will deliver up to 15 amps at 12v while the engine is on. Would I need to do anything special to isolate/protect the systems or can I just wire them together?

·
Registered
278 Posts
2) Can I use both the 12v/180 watt car outlet and the 12v/160 watt solar panel at the same time? It seems to me that I could wire the outlets and solar panel in parallel ahead of the PWM controller in the INERGY KODIAK - basically treating the car outlet as another solar panel. They have similar characteristics:
The device has two charging inputs. Why not connect the solar to one and the 12v cig lighter port to the other?

Don’t connect the solar panel output directly to the van's 12v power outlet.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The device has two charging inputs. Why not connect the solar to one and the 12v cig lighter port to the other?
Using both charging ports at the same time will void the warranty. And I definitely don't want to overcharge a LI-ion battery.

If there is no way to combine the to charging sources, can someone point me towards a 12v switch that I could use to select my input source?

·
Registered
112 Posts
A simple double pole double throw toggle switch should suffice. I plan to use one to switch between house charging and solar panel charging of my Yeti 400 lithium whereas you would switch from panel to auto 12vdc. In addition will be a series of switches to split the Yeti's output from a main 120 volt source to power interior led lighting, a Maxxfan ventilator, a sound system, a flat screen tv and antenna booster etc. In this way I can be sure there will be no back-feeding of voltage to unused sources despite diode protection. Also when the switches are in the center position it disconnects that particular source or device to guarantee there won't be any standby trickle drain of voltage from the yeti. I found these switches on Amazon to be quite robust:

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019GTQD0Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update2:

The 3m Dual-lock installation is holding up nicely. I expect this installation to last the life of the solar panel based on what I have seen so far.

In in the SoCal desert I observed 140 watts of power coming off the panel in Winter sun. I was not expecting that kind of performance since the panel is rated at 150 watts. Perry happy so far.

The panel alone is enough to keep my batteries topped up - I have not plugged into the alternator since installing the panel. The system can get down to about 12.25 volts after running the fridge and lights at night and making hot water (electric kettle) in the morning. Then it is quickly back up to 12.5+ with a little sun.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts