Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found a guy on ebay.co.uk selling seats and rails. Trying to figure out shipping for a folding bench seat.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Bit late on the reply... Is this simple bolt on replacement?
Yes and no.

The rails are a simple bolt on replacement. If you are using U.S. seats, they will attach to the rails just fine. But U.S. seats don’t have a lever that unlocks the sliders in the adjustable rails. So there is no way to adjust the seat position with a U.S. seat attached to the rails. The rails aren’t easy to adjust with the seat out either. If you also get the folding European seats, then you can slide them all you want, since they have a lever that will engage the slider locks.

I installed adjustable rails and modified two of the sliders so that I could adjust the position of the stock two seat bench by locking and unlocking the sliders with a hand knob. The main drawback to my setup is that there are two knobs sticking up out of the floor when both rows of seats are taken out of the van.

·
Registered
166 Posts
So any luck on getting the folding European seat shipped to the states? Which EBay vendor did you use for the rails? What part of the country are you in? I'm very interested in doing the same. Thanks

·
Registered
86 Posts
Also, I am assuming you got 4 rails you just have not put the other one in. I wonder how hard it would be to weld a latch on the US seats to activate the slider.

And thanks! Great post.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Do you think that side air bag placement is why these rails are complicated?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought seats here in Southern California at metrisseats.com
They sell the 2+1 configuration. It's a 3 seat bench, that 1 removes completely
They recline and lean forward and tilt forward to get to the 3rd row very easy
Sell for $1,200/ea

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
Dunno why I didn’t catch this @HarryN but I’m sure that it isn’t. First of all they (obviously) have side curtain airbags on Euro models with adjustable seats. The second tho is that in American market vehicles there are plenty of adjustable fore and aft seats with side airbags.

I think the complexity issue is certification based upon the essentially infinite adjustment of the removable seats; that is to say you can position the row anywhere in the rail system. The American market passenger Sprinter is actually set up so that the wider rear passenger bench (the one that takes up the whole width of the vehicle) is only removable with tools, and as per the manual, by the dealer.

I think Mercedes is scared of our litigation happy society, and is avoiding being sued by Americans who place seats in stupid locations. Such as placing a wide bench in front of the narrower benches and blocking egress for the rear passengers. If you modify your car away from their configuration they have no liability in the issue.

This is the only reason they would intentionally block turning around the middle seat even though the hardware is actually capable. That’s not a safety concern; riding backwards in a seat with head restraints is actually safer.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sell for $1,200/ea
Nice! Going to have to contact them. I'm in OC.

·
Registered
111 Posts
So any luck on getting the folding European seat shipped to the states? Which EBay vendor did you use for the rails? What part of the country are you in? I'm very interested in doing the same. Thanks

I got mine from Harp Automotive in Indiana Premier products) set of 2+1 Vito seats in fabric and the euro tracks. Not sure if they still sell them but would give it a try. Super simple swap using same bolts.
I just finished a simple build for a road trip (cardboard model pics attached) with the Boys and it works great! Mercedes Europe offers a tool for to adjust the slider (image attached) in track but you can get it done also with a screwdriver to push the locks down and slide them in the positions you want. Technically the seats are only allowed in a certain marked area on the tracks when in use. It's such a relief to be able to fold all seats down for cargo or gear and also to adjust the cargo space by sliding the seats up and down. You still have to lift them out of the track to adjust the bracket position in the tracks, which still sucks as the 2 seater bench is super heavy!

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I got mine from Harp Automotive in Indiana Premier products) set of 2+1 Vito seats in fabric and the euro tracks. Not sure if they still sell them but would give it a try. Super simple swap using same bolts.
I just finished a simple build for a road trip (cardboard model pics attached) with the Boys and it works great! Mercedes Europe offers a tool for to adjust the slider (image attached) in track but you can get it done also with a screwdriver to push the locks down and slide them in the positions you want. Technically the seats are only allowed in a certain marked area on the tracks when in use. It's such a relief to be able to fold all seats down for cargo or gear and also to adjust the cargo space by sliding the seats up and down. You still have to lift them out of the track to adjust the bracket position in the tracks, which still sucks as the 2 seater bench is super heavy!
Nice setup! I've been using the screwdriver method to move the adjustment points.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Sell for $1,200/ea

When you say $1200, is that for a 3 seater bench? And this bench also mounts to the oem rail?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
When you say $1200, is that for a 3 seater bench? And this bench also mounts to the oem rail?

I got a hold of somebody at metrisseats.com and they quoted me $1250. It's a 2+1 bench. = 3 seater. Yes it will mount directly to the oem rail. He said they have plenty in stock. Going next week. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I got a hold of somebody at metrisseats.com and they quoted me $1250. It's a 2+1 bench. = 3 seater. Yes it will mount directly to the oem rail. He said they have plenty in stock. Going next week. I'll keep you posted.

How? Via email or telephone number? I want to give them my money but there’s no one to take it! Lmao

1 - 20 of 38 Posts