Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a seat rail from ebay and had a local body shop install it in my Metris (2016 passenger) . Although I am comfortable with how it was done based on how I am going to use it, I am not comfortable sharing the install details because I am sure their method is not the official "Mercedes' way". However, there are some information I learned during the process that may be of interest to some:

1.Entry positions for all six screws are directly on top of a structural support (second photo where the screw and bolt was installed).

2. Three of the screws for the 2nd row seat are right on top of the gas tank. So if you are thinking about installing screws/bolts as in the second photo, the gas tank has to come out.

3. We eventually took out the screw/bolt in the second photo: even as we cut the screw down right at bolt base, the bolt still touched gas tank - not safe.

4. One out of three screws for the third row seat is right on top of an area where a couple of frame supports meet. It's very difficult to install the screw there. Installing the other 2 screws for the third row are easy.

Overall, it's a difficult job. I am wondering whether there're properly sized rivet nuts that are strong enough for this purpose.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Having trouble posting the pictures in Chromebook , I will try again tomorrow.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Thank you for posting the info and photos.

Have you by chance compared the installation to the MB body builder guide approach to see how they do it?

I like how it came out.

Did you by chance ask the dealer what they charge for installing a rail like that? Just curious more than anything.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, Harry.

No I am not aware of body builder guide or checked with the dealer. I am very curious about the answers to your questions too. I guess it would either be some kinds of rivet nut installed from above, or some kinds of special equipment accessing the underneath through access holes on the frame...

·
Registered
31 Posts
I thought adding a fourth rail was more straight forward. Are the mounting locations not already under the floor?

·
Registered
7 Posts
@eslode, not on my 2016 passenger. Can't speak for other model/year...
Hi, i just want to make sure i am understanding this post correctly. Are the issue you mentioned ONLY for installing the 4th rail? I am planning to replace the existing Rails with the 'Sliding Rails' thats available for Euro versions. I was wondering if I am going to have issues with bolts potentially hitting the gas tank when replacing the existing rails with a sliding rail.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@Ram, Yes my discussion was about the fourth rail. I do not know whether the bolts for the European version sliding rails will or will not line up with the existing holes for the three rails from the factory. Note that European does have versions of Vito with varying length, so I would at least make sure the rails I would buy are from the version of Vito that is the same length as Metris.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks
@Ram, Yes my discussion was about the fourth rail. I do not know whether the bolts for the European version sliding rails will or will not line up with the existing holes for the three rails from the factory. Note that European does have versions of Vito with varying length, so I would at least make sure the rails I would buy are from the version of Vito that is the same length as Metris.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Curious to know if the front half of the fourth rail is easier than the rear half? I would like the fourth rail for two captains seats in the second row. I saw one of the photos on metrisseats.com had the fourth rail only for the second row (or shorter and only for second row). Any thoughts on whether that makes installation easier?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lmelmed, it's unfortunately the opposite. The gas tank is under the front half of the rail.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts