Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a cargo van that I use for camping. On this trip, three nights in a row, the rear inside cargo light on the driver's side has turned on at about 5am and awakened me.

This is new behavior as I've camped in it many times before. I'm presently doing a few hotel nights in the middle of a longer trip, but I have 12 straight nights of camping coming up, so I'll be curious to see if it reoccurs.

The sliding door is usually not fully latched at night, so the car would consider the door ‘open’ but I've pushed the button on the rear view mirror console that disables inside lights when a door opens. (I don’t really want the interior lights to come on when I camp.)

I wonder what sort of software bug is occurring? Life was simpler when lights were connected with a mechanical switch and a fuse.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I camp in my van as well. I haven't experienced the light turning on by itself. That's a new one. I can say that the mirror switch that turns cargo light on and off reset if you open/close the door. It irks me so much when I just want to get some air but know that the light will turn on if I open the door. Like you, I keep the door ajar. Could the contacts on you door be touching?

There is a cargo light with a switch for the Metris. The dealership gave me a loaner while I was waiting for my van to be delivered. And the cargo lights in the back side walls had a little toggle switch built in. I was really surprised when mine didn't have those lights. They should be standard.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
At some point along the line for me that switch started working intermittently and then basically not at all. The unit was replaced under the ELW. You may be having the same fault.

Contrary to its appearance, it is a soft-switch (that is sends a signal) rather than a hard switch (physical control of the current). I dunno why that is; it is the kind of thing in my mind that would have no benefit to being a soft switch.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts