Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I knew it would happen, but not this soon. I have a client event out of state where I'll need to bring along 2 passengers. I thought, but I could be mistaken, that I read about a MBC van owner who bolted down an used SUV seat w/ seatbelts here? I'm looking for the 'cheapest' way to transport a 3rd person safely. I don't forsee this happening often and if the event required 4 or more, I would just rent an additional vehicle. Any and all suggestions appreciated.

·
Registered
33 Posts
We have the passenger seats from our 2 vans that we just purchased that are for sale, one is a 2 seat bench that would go behind the front seats, do you have the track in the floor?

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
The cargo van doesn't have those pockets.

I would say that finding a lighter seat would be a better bet- like maybe a cheap racing shell-type from a grown up go kart with a four point harness.

It being light is really important, because the lighter the seat the less leveraging weight you are going to have on whatever you anchor it to. And your biggest issue is secure attachment. Especially if you plan on removing it. If it was me, with my nerves, I'd rent a car, honestly. But I suffer from anxiety problems.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Liabilty too if you are in an accident and the passenger is injured or killed in that seat.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! I talked with a Sprinter owner who show me what he did and it will cover all safety issues. Time to start my first Metris conversion project. PROJECT CARGO SECOND ROW

Reactions: parsi and Fit4pits

·
Registered
151 Posts
Ditto on hearing what you come up with, sure would add a ton of flexibility to the cargo van. Best I've come up with so far is an oversized bean-bag and I'm not sure that's NHTSA certified.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Project METRIS CARGO 2nd ROW (coming soon)

Interested in what you come up with, Mowo.
Ditto on hearing what you come up with, sure would add a ton of flexibility to the cargo van. Best I've come up with so far is an oversized bean-bag and I'm not sure that's NHTSA certified.
Due to the interest, I will take the time to document the whole project in a new thread under the 'Metris Builds & Conversion' sub-forum. I'll drop a msg here once I start that. The main objectives of this project:

1. Safety and meeting or exceeding strength requirements of a professional job (mini-bus, conversion van)
2. Flexibility to utilize cargo area as needed.
3. Aesthetics/OEM-Look. Any project should balance the best looking cargo van on the market to add-on functionality. :)
4. Comfort. If you have to give your employee/sub-contractor the 'back seat', you can at least give them some level of normal passenger contentment.

Reactions: river and Fit4pits

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1 - 10 of 10 Posts