Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I contacted SCA about ordering a SCA-152 directly. They will only sell through authorized resellers and the resellers I've been able to find will only offer it with installation that works out to be ~$14,000 including tax and color match paint. This pricing seems crazy to me based on the prices roofs with installation go for in Europe and considering the fact that SCA manufactures their roofs in Colorado.

Needless to say I have been searching for a cheaper alternative. I was considering purchasing an SCA roof (£4900) from the UK and having it shipped. banwy.co.uk/sca-roofs/sca-roofs/sca-152-vito-roof-swb.html

Then today I came across this poptoproofs.co.uk/shop/product-info.php?id=30492

£2000 for the roof itself
£250 for color match paint
£410? for an elevating bed
£300 Shipping to US

Which works out to be £3000 ($4000) plus import tax.

Seems this company has been around for a while as a budget top option in the UK. I'm trying to find reviews, all I've been able to find so far is ~"not as good as the SCA roof" but nothing specifically negative.

Does anyone have experience with or is willing to test out the Pop Top Roofs on their Metris and report back here?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Sportsmobil is installing the SCA brand pop tops. Just under $10,000 painted to match you vans color. That includes trip and the bed. Peace vans, in Seattle will be doing the same later this Fall. Call and ask for Harley. They will be doing three Metris pop top conversions for their rental fleet first.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If that price includes color match paint that's better than most quotes I've received but shipping the van to and from central CA would cancel out any savings for me.

Peace Vans quoted $10,450 +$850 for paint + 1-3% service charge, add on the 10% local sales tax and you are just under $13000 (which is what I meant to say above).

I'm personally just having a hard time justifying that price. I understand the US market for this sort of thing is much smaller than in the UK and prices are set based on what people are willing to pay. I'm can be cheap sometimes and I'm irritated that the prices are so much lower in the UK.

Seems silly to me to buy a part manufactured in Colorado from a UK store and have it shipped back to the US to save a few thousand dollars but I'm seriously considering it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I really feel your pain. I've pretty much scrapped the idea as well due to cost. Four years ago coloradocampervan.com could do a top starting at ~$6,600 plus paint, etc. and from seeing one in person, this is the top you want—largest and strongest. They have standard lids for econoline/transit/sprinter/savana/promaster but will make a custom pop top for just about any vehicle on request. Unfortunately, it looks like they now start at $13k.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The SCA roofs are not manufactured in the USA, but in the EU, with some parts coming Hungary, Germany and a few other Eastern European countries. We where offered the SCA roofs for our conversions, but for the Canadian market, they are just too expensive ( for our market ). Poptops is a good option, but requires extensive modifications for use in North America, so it quickly creeps up in price.

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah, I misinterpreted one of the CF-Maier press releases I was looking at.

Can you provide more details regarding the quality difference between the two options, what you personally think about the PopTops roof and what modifications were required for NA?

·
Registered
58 Posts
In General, the SCA roof is a nicer roof.

SCA Roof

- Nicer gas shocks, very sturdy

- much nicer Lock down latches

- Canvas appears to be thicker

- Comes with bed

Poptops

- Canvas should be removed, bottom of canvas where it mounts to the roof, it should have a double wall sewn in.

- Gas shocks, hinges are a little on the lighter side

- no real locking mechanism once the roof is down, just a strap that works much the same as a 1960's ski boot.

- Bed plans are extra or you have to fabricate

Overall, if you are able to get the SCA maier roof for around $8500 installed, its worth it. As we easily spend around double the cost of the roof, to make it acceptable to Mercedes Benz, as well as our clients.

Hope this helps, if you have any questions, feel free to contact us anytime.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Imants - Would you be willing to share pics of your GTRV top? I have lots of questions and I've sent a few emails to GRTV but so far all the information I've been able to get out of them is that they build their own roofs, there is a $1000 deposit and they are booked until the end of the year.

Does the GTRV top include a bed, if so is it an elevating bed or the type that folds away? How does the roof latch? What does it look on the interior, does it mesh well with the stock headliner and interior? Are you happy with the fit and finish?

·
Registered
58 Posts
The GTRV roof is a Reimo roof. None of the 3 roofs really mesh well with the factory liner, all require allot of work to look like OEM.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Braddo - I have had the Gtrv pop top now for about 2 months and 1500 miles, including two camping trips. It is a standard Reimo roof. I like the fit and look. The construction seems good. For example, the handles used to pull down th roof are thru bolted with washers on the roof top, not just screw fastened like in a Eurovan top. It lowers very easily without problems of fabric bunching up (Eurovan was harder). It has straps to fasten it down, I would prefer a metal clasp like in the Eurovan.
I think the lining is the Metris passanger van lining, so it looks good.
I also heard that Gtrv are going to manufacture their own pop tops. I may have the last Reimo one!
Install takes about two days, if paint matching has been done beforehand.

·
Registered
1 Posts
poptop roof rack

Can the original roof rails be mounted to the top of the SCA poptop for light duty use? (eg surfboard rack) Or would you need to install a whole now roof rack system?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thought I'd provide an update to the GTRV pop tops. We do, indeed, fabricate our own pop top these days. It is more substantial than the Reimo shells and can carry higher load. They are fastened down with clamps (not straps), are painted to match the color of your vehicle, and come with an upper bunk that can be removed if not needed. Pricing ranges between $8,900 and $9,400 plus Ca sales tax.

Additionally, we have a top for the extended 135" Metris as well!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Thought I'd provide an update to the GTRV pop tops. We do, indeed, fabricate our own pop top these days. It is more substantial than the Reimo shells and can carry higher load. They are fastened down with clamps (not straps), are painted to match the color of your vehicle, and come with an upper bunk that can be removed if not needed. Pricing ranges between $8,900 and $9,400 plus Ca sales tax.

Additionally, we have a top for the extended 135" Metris as well!

Cool. Thanks for the update. Do you have any detailed photos of the 135 top?

·
Registered
4 Posts
OTHER POP TOP ROOF MAKERs?
Hi, I am trying to install a Pop Up roof on my Metris now at the Body repair shop (The roof need to be replaced after I got tree damages on the roof, so it's the perfect opportunity!).
SCA will not sell the roof to my body repair shop and the closest SCA certified installer is far from San Jose, CA.
Does any one knows another Pop Top roof supplier than SCA (Owner by Maier)????

·
Registered
4 Posts
It looks like Santa Cruz campers does the Reimo top: https://santacruzcampers.com/mercedes-metris
This is great thank you. I just contacted them! yes it seems they intall the Reimo roof .
I am trying to list my options:
1. SCA (CFMaier) Roof. But the importer in the US will not sell me the roof. Need to use certified installers far from me.
2. Reimo roof from Germany.
3. Pop Top Roof (UK).
Is there other manufacturer that you know (not installer).
GTRV build their own roof right?
Sportmobile use the SCA roof right?

·
Registered
65 Posts
That’s my understanding. GTRV manufactures their own roof and Sportsmobile uses the SCA roof. I don’t know if anyone will sell a roof without installation.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Also Travois Canada and Travois USA use their own poptops. I'm guessing that they wouldn't sell without installing it. Worth a call

1 - 20 of 23 Posts