Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone found a good indy repair shop that works on Metris in the Carolinas? Preferably Western NC/Northern SC. I already talked with Zeke's up near Asheville, NC, he's tied up with work at least 2 weeks. With the Metris being sold since 2016 and a market as large as Charlotte NC, I haven't found a shop yet that I feel confident having to do my routine service.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’d go with Zeke; never heard of the guy but the good indys never have the ability to get to you in time.
Yep, he opened his own shop last year and he comes highly recommended in the Sprinter forums, but works on Metris also. Two hour drive from Charlotte, but gives me a chance to go up to the mountains.
Judging from his social media photos, all those big repair jobs ($$$$) no time for my little $200 scheduled maintenance.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
1,452 Posts
I'm curious about your preference for indy for basic maint. Is it the cost is higher at the dealer? 3 dealers in Charlotte.

Good food and beer in Asheville!

·
Registered
14 Posts
When we lived in Asheville I was very impressed with Val on Sweeten Creek in south Asheville. 828-267-0595. Good service. Great price.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
I'm curious about your preference for indy for basic maint. Is it the cost is higher at the dealer? 3 dealers in Charlotte.

The cost would most likely be quite a bit higher at the dealer; indie MB mechanics either specialize in older cars dealers are reluctant to play with, or in providing the service at lower cost.

While a van in need of a basic service doesn’t qualify for this, the other thing is there are a variety of things that an MB dealer will only replace a substantial subassembly containing a broken part, whereas the indie might be willing to dive into the repair or replacement of the basic part within the sub-assembly. Don’t know if the above indie would do this, but think replacing the $50 PCV valve instead of the $1800 assembly that contains it on the dreaded common PCV valve problem.

Additionally, some dealers will err on the side of safety and replace a failing part when it’s failure is either not as big a deal as they act like it is, or it’s failure is even unlikely to be before the next specified service. I would not be astonished if some dealers also just engage in outright dishonest practices. If you have a good dealer you trust not to do the above, you don’t need to seek out an Indie early in the vans life. If you don’t... then a good indie with a good reputation for honesty and fair pricing is a very valid thing to go looking for at any time.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
1,452 Posts
The cost would most likely be quite a bit higher at the dealer; indie MB mechanics either specialize in older cars dealers are reluctant to play with, or in providing the service at lower cost.
Yea, I was mostly interested in a response from the OP. I have my Cayenne Turbo services at an independent mechanic for cost reasons, but I'd still get routine basic service at the dealer just because it's closer and I'm not expecting then to need to address other issues without a choice. The cost difference for an oil change etc doesn't always justify the trip farther to the other guy. They have at times called something out. I'd just take it to the other place and have the work done for less. I generally lean toward a dealer during warranty coverage. I've had dealers very happy to fix anything and everything during warranty because they get paid. After warranty lapses I go elsewhere if there is the option. I used to do all work myself, but I just don't have the time anymore. I'll do it occasionally for fun and to ensure I feel I can still take care of my own machines. Some of the tools and docs are out of reach though.

I was wondering if the local dealers were terrible or there were bad experiences. Wouldn't surprise me.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I also read you following post. Like you, I just don't have the time, tools, and patience to learn and execute anything about the oil change / Service A maint. Right now I'm due for the 45k miles spark plug change. Dealer quotes here are from $475 - 675. Indy quotes have been from $200-300. While I was calling around I figured to ask here to see if anyone had a good line on one. I did have the dealer do the tranny flush and fill.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
1,452 Posts
Gotcha. The indexed plugs cost. Hard to know if the dealer or an indy does it correctly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts