Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at the design of the steering column controls, i have a question. To place the vehicle in Park obviously i push in the side button on the end of the transmission stalk. I can see possibly when fumbling for cruise control or wiper controls, inadvertently pushing the "park" button. What if that happens while driving at speed? Sudden deceleration? Shift to neutral? Does the Metris ignore such a mistake over a certain speed?

I ask this because i do not feel it is terribly intuitive to have this control here. I will certain adapt, but somebody driving for first few times.. not so sure, this could not easily be accidentally pushed..

Thanks.

j

·
Registered
271 Posts
lol @ Grich

·
Registered
291 Posts
In addition to the Metris, I own a Tesla which uses turn, cruise, and shift stalks along with door mounted window/mirror controls from Mercedes.

My Audi has the windshield wiper stalk in the same place as the Metris/Tesla shift lever, and more than once, I've wanted to operate the wipers on the Metris or Tesla and shifted the vehicle into neutral because I'd most recently driven the Audi.

But, I've never found myself going for the park button by mistake.

·
Registered
157 Posts
It rained today and I almost used the shifter to get a momentary wipe. I noticed that there are little arrows next to RNDP on the display that disappear when the van starts moving, except for one arrow pointing up on the D when going forward. I didn't try, but I had the same thought, and maybe the other options are disabled (except shifting into N from D) while moving...

·
Registered
188 Posts
I drive all of the vehicles in my signature regularly, plus at work a 2013 Ford PI Utility....sometimes when I get in one of them I have to scratch my head and look around for a second to plot my next move...lol

·
Registered
939 Posts
Yeah, sometimes you're slow at work and try to get a warranty transmission rebuild. (Kidding, of course)

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
The solution is to have an all Mercedes fleet. Only Mercedes logically puts all the controls on the left side of the steering wheel where they belong. All driving controls should be operated by the left hand, while on the wheel. The right hand should be free to control the center console and (manual, or console mounted). That's where the design comes from. The column mounted shifter makes sense to be on the right side.

The controls I don't understand are the mirror and window switches, located illogically on the door. They should be on the center console.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Mercedes is working on a pick-up, but based on the Frontier, not the Titan they intially wanted to rebadge.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Early on Mercedes was very interested in the Titan's build for rebadging. Regardless its a MB-Renault joint venture. Pick-Ups are still popular here, but I'm sure it would be a luxury version as oppossed to a work truck.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I agree with sadragna. I found pickups inconvenient as it usually rained at the wrong time and I couldn't park it with anything af value in the open area. I use the Metris with just the second row seat allowing for a large rear area and still carry5 people. For really large loads, I use it with a utility trailer.

That being said, my thought of the ideal pickup would a Metris with a bench seat and an 8 ft bed.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
The Titan is an NA only model and wouldn't work with Mercedes power trains, or its intention to sell the trucks internationally. They will come in both luxury and utility versions- think Vito/V-klasse. The American market was at most an afterthought, and it was discarded.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Here a new one for me. I was in the metris all morning today driving around after I was all done with work I hopped into my Jeep Grand Cherokee and headed off. i parked the jeep on an incline so I applied the foot e-break (just like the metris). When leaving I reached down to disengage the e-break but instead I pop open the hood of the jeep. Jeep e-break just gets pushed all the way down to disengage.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Hehe!

Along those lines, I am constantly turning off my wipers in my Metris. Why? I'm constantly putting Benz's in our car wash and have to have the wipers off so now it's just an annoying habit...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts