Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to improve slightly the audio quality of the Audio system. In the front only (Back is camper converted)
I have a 2017 Metris.
I'd like a simple DYI improvement to bring it at the level of a regular car premium system, without a major project...
Is there a way to add an amp under the dash? (I don't want to start a major project and pull cable under the seat).
Can you advise a amp model?
I am in the US. California.
Advise appreciated!

·
Registered
2020 cargo 126wb
270 Posts

Scroll to post #23.
For $415 this was my solution. Greatly improved audio quality using the oem cargo speakers. Gains Apple CarPlay, keeps steering wheel controls.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Scroll to post #23.
For $415 this was my solution. Greatly improved audio quality using the oem cargo speakers. Gains Apple CarPlay, keeps steering wheel controls.
Thank you for the answer and link to your great post. I will detail it again and do my homework now!...
Couple of questions :
  • I see the RP425-MB11 Interface gives the back-up cam with bendy lines, Phone, bluetooth, etc... Did you lose any of the original "Audio 15" features? Like system setup, phone...
  • Does it come with the big black frame? (Where the original volume knob, keys are...)
  • Is it compatible with Android (I'm not Apple..)?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the answer and link to your great post. I will detail it again and do my homework now!...
Couple of questions :
  • I see the RP425-MB11 Interface gives the back-up cam with bendy lines, Phone, bluetooth, etc... Did you lose any of the original "Audio 15" features? Like system setup, phone...
  • Does it come with the big black frame? (Where the original volume knob, keys are...)
  • Is it compatible with Android (I'm not Apple..)?
Also, anyone has a cheaper solution with just a amplifier..?

·
Registered
2020 cargo 126wb
270 Posts
@Serge9898 - When I heard what the Audio 15 sounded like with the OEM speakers, I could tell there was no way to improve that short of replacing it. I am not an audio expert, but equipment can only improve what it is given. Seems to me if you add an amp to the output of the Audio 15 you will only get louder Audio 15 sound.

I have steering wheel buttons so maybe that's where my "system setup" resides. No answer for you on this. Bluetooth works great, both with phone (though you have to add the mic included in the Sony box (as described and pictured in my post) and also with BT audio.

This particular Sony only claims to be Apple CarPlay compatible, not Android. But my main point is you need to replace the sound SOURCE with something better. There are even cheaper alternatives out there (not by much).

Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
Metris Cargo 135 2020
574 Posts
Just a thought ... what if it is the default speakers?
What does MB put in there?

I have never been a fan of loud, but rather good wide range and mid level clarity. Back in the eighties a small car with just 4 Kenwood speakers made a nice difference in a VW Golf. Then my next one upgraded to a pretty basic Kenwood 25 watt ... maybe 50 watt x4 with Kenwood speakers and I found that more than plenty.

I guess I should throw some of my favorites on an SD card and see what it sounds like.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts