Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have wanted the V-Class Marco Polo since it came out, and pretty much gave up waiting for it to be available in the US.

So, given the GBP and EUR is lower compare to USD, I was thinking maybe I can just import one in to the US.

There are basically 3 issues:
1) US Customs shows a 25% import fees for "Trucks". Any chance the Marco Polo will qualify for "auto" at 2.5% import fee?
2) The car must comply with U.S. safety, bumper, and emission standards. So should I import from the UK or another country in the EU?
3) How do I get MB USA to service it once it is in the US?

Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
483 Posts
This is a joke, right?

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have wanted the V-Class Marco Polo since it came out, and pretty much gave up waiting for it to be available in the US.

So, given the GBP and EUR is lower compare to USD, I was thinking maybe I can just import one in to the US.

There are basically 3 issues:
1) US Customs shows a 25% import fees for "Trucks". Any chance the Marco Polo will qualify for "auto" at 2.5% import fee?
2) The car must comply with U.S. safety, bumper, and emission standards. So should I import from the UK or another country in the EU?
3) How do I get MB USA to service it once it is in the US?

Any advice is appreciated.
Importing a newer non-conforming vehicle to the USA is a huge project, especially if the car isn't already on the eligibility list (and the V-Class isn't). Customs duties are the least of it. Look into the rules governing Registered Importers and I suspect you will come away discouraged.

If I wanted a Marco Polo in the USA I'd start with a Metris Passenger and modify it.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Lots of work ahead of you. Why don't you just buy one in Mexico? Don't they have them there as well?

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Well, the good news is it is definitely a car, so you get the 2.5% tax bit.

The bad news is that everything else is bad news. It is nearly impossible to import a new, foreign spec car. It used to be fairly easy, back in the 80s, it was called grey market. But that ended. Mercedes and others were sick of people importing low spec models- then, as now, the same exact car in the US is cheaper than its counterpart in Europe, however US cars come in what would be pretty loaded spec in Europe.

So while a US spec 300D Turbo would be cheaper to buy in the US in 1985 than a comparably equipped 300D Turbo in Europe, you could buy a 200D with cloth seats, a four speed manual, no air conditioner, arm rests, radio, etc (imagine the old Nissan Versa they had for $7500 a few years ago for the basic spec) for roughly half as much. But the emissions jobs ended up being botched, and MB didn't really want to sell taxi spec cars here anyway- so they and a few others got the rules changed to require type approval or very expensive single approval.

You would probably find it easier and cheaper to buy a cargo van and all of the Marco Polo parts and pay somebody a butt load to assemble it for you here.

Irrespective, if you want dealer service, you better be buddies with that dealers owner. Officially, they aren't supposed to touch them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lots of work ahead of you. Why don't you just buy one in Mexico? Don't they have them there as well?
Thanks for the info, I see the V-Class on Mercedes Mexico website, do you have the link to the Marco Polo?

I can buy one in Mexico, any idea which company or where I would go to find out about bringing the car into the US?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Thanks for the info, I see the V-Class on Mercedes Mexico website, do you have the link to the Marco Polo?

I can buy one in Mexico, any idea which company or where I would go to find out about bringing the car into the US?
That is out of my league.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
You ain't hearing me. It will cost you a butt load (like the price of the van or more) just to attempt it. If you fail, the vehicle will be confiscated and crushed and you can try again. With a fresh van and a fresh set of money. If you really want to try. I'd suggest importing it as a kit (sans drivetrain) and seeing if you can get Mercedes to sell you the drivetrain out of a last gen E250D. You might get away with that, but you got an odds on chance of them crushing that, too. Cars are Not ideal for smuggling, since they have to be registered.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No intention to smuggle or do anything illegal, just wanted to see if I was willing to pay 2x, if I can get one *legally.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Its really too bad then. We'd have to see the progress of the Metris in general if it'll even get to a "luxury" model.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
It's illegal to self import cars to the US that are less than 25 years old unless they have the manufacturers declaration of compliance (you won't get that) or you exploit one of a very few loopholes. Those loopholes are expensive, and if you screw up, the official policy is to confiscate the illegal good and either destroy it or sell it at auction for immediate deportation- without recompense to the person who imported it.

And you won't know the answer before the car is physically here and attempting to be registered.

·
Registered
191 Posts
No intention to smuggle or do anything illegal, just wanted to see if I was willing to pay 2x, if I can get one *legally.
If you look into the rules governing "Registered Importers" I think you'll come away very discouraged. I went down this rabbit hole years ago.

The good news is that you can get most of what you want just by modifying a Metris, especially with that budget. There are already outfits stateside that will handle the pop-up roof. The rest is interior pieces.

Plus you get to spend your time and money on the stuff you're actually interested in, not DOT minutiae and paperwork.

·
Registered
89 Posts
For once I agree with Greenmanedlion. I will share my experience. I own 2016 v-250 in Europe and 2016 Metris here in US. I can tell you one thing forget about the fact of importing V-Class to US. PERIOD! You will pay double price in your case about $150000.00 to bring Marco Polo and then you would have to find an enthusiast to fix it, if something happens to your car. Authorized dealer will not touch it. Back in 2000 I brought bare bone Sprinter in US that is one year before Mercedes brought Sprinter for FedEx as Freightliner. Well it was expensive and it took me almost 2 years to register and drive it in US.

Attachments

·
Registered
248 Posts
That sucks. All the paperwork and stupid rules.

I think here's where it pays to be Mexican on a working Visa. I just bought a 2018 V220d fully loaded (except the panoramic sunroof which was ordered but the factory forgot to add *insert here all insults and frustration*) and am about to bring it to The US. I already have here a BMW, also bought in Mexico, and had had no problem getting it serviced by the dealer. I'll let you know if that proves to be an issue with MB. Worst-case scenario every year when I go to renew my visa I'll have it serviced it there, I'm "only" 20 hours away from the border.

The key is that it has Mexican plates and I'm not an US citizen then I'm allowed to drive them temporarily in the US. You can always marry a Mexican woman and claim Mexican Citizenship LOL!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For once I agree with Greenmanedlion. I will share my experience. I own 2016 v-250 in Europe and 2016 Metris here in US. I can tell you one thing forget about the fact of importing V-Class to US. PERIOD! You will pay double price in your case about $150000.00 to bring Marco Polo and then you would have to find an enthusiast to fix it, if something happens to your car. Authorized dealer will not touch it. Back in 2000 I brought bare bone Sprinter in US that is one year before Mercedes brought Sprinter for FedEx as Freightliner. Well it was expensive and it took me almost 2 years to register and drive it in US.
Insane question - if I become a minority shareholder of a Mercedes dealership, you think I can get one?

I guess the only way to get service and parts is to own a MB dealership.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts