Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
I like Doug's videos. I do think he's too hung up on electronic doo-dads, and places too much importance on straight line performance (I find the low end torque of the turbo 4 to be plenty responsive). No doubt he's right that the Metris doesn't compare well to other mini vans,,,, for the typical mini van driver. I doubt there are many of those in the Metris owner's club. I value our Metris for driving dynamics (great on a curvy 2 lane blacktop road, and rock steady at speed on the interstate), room (cavernous with the 3rd row removed), comfortable seats (real adult size in the 2nd and 3rd row) and simplicity ( I have no need for power lift-gates, power sliding doors, driver assists and so on). Entertainment system means nothing to me as long as I can put some music on the system, and I don't need to connect my phone to it either. The Becker is adequate for the times I've needed it, but I don't rely on such systems. I always plan my route prior to any trip to strange environs. I will admit I'd like power seats just because my wife and I require quite different driving positions. We love our 2016 with 19K miles, and will probably keep it for at least another 10 years barring significant mechanical problems.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, he kept dogging on that middle seat that was in his way from getting in or out. But, can't that single passenger seat be removed altogether for easy access to the rear? Also, I didn't have any trouble connecting my phone after figuring out you choose your own "pin" instead of the radio doing it for you.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I watched this while on a conference call today and started laughing without being on mute. Oops! As usual, he brings up some great points. But he is very wrong on one point, which is the whole mini-van thing. The Metris is on the mbvans.com site, not the main MB site, which says it all. It's like comparing his E63 AMG wagon to a Dodge Magnum. They are both wagons, but very different types of wagons.

Regardless, the video was entertaining and highlights how much of an oddball vehicle the Metris is to the American consumer-base, even for someone that reviews cars.

Reactions: DerDichter

·
Registered
81 Posts
Well I do agree about the lack of power seats. But he does raise the interesting question, why buy a Metris? And he never even notices the differences that brought me to the Metris. Like let's see you transport two motorcycles in a Honda Odyssey, or use one as a camper. Or tow 5000 lbs.

Maybe we could set up a poll as to why we each bought ours, just so Doug will understand.

·
Registered
259 Posts
He's mostly right. Although we love our van MB really missed the opportunity to make a great van. The transit can have folding rear seats the Metris should too. The Audio 15 really is a crappy unit and we've all ordered the better passenger side mirror as well. But he seems to want to complain about everything or I doubt I'll watch any of his other vehicles.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
He is right about some of the drawbacks, but ignores all the positives. He doesn’t mention the fact it is rear wheel drive, he doesn’t mention the right turning circle, or it’s vastly larger bulk.

And the basis of his premise is entirely wrong; a Metris IS a commercial van, and it is NOT a minivan.

Also, is he really expecting a $43k Mercedes to be equipped like a like priced Honda? Wtf?

I also liked his complaints about the lack of a collision warning and land departure- that van is so equipped.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Put 3 adults, or 3 teens in the rear row of a regular minivan...put almost any large kid or adult in the middle seat, 2nd row of a regular minivan...absolute crap it will be. End argument.

We purchased a Metris specifically for its utilitarian features, and to move people.

My only real complaint is the exterior lighting should b all LED.

·
Registered
259 Posts
The dome light comment was lame, his had the LED interior kit which I quite like on mine; very bright and controllable. Really it should be compared to a Transit with the same equipment and the last time I did that the Transit was much more expensive. For a big guy it would have been nice to mention he could actually sit in the third row. He's still correct about the seats folding though.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The dome light comment was lame, his had the LED interior kit which I quite like on mine; very bright and controllable. Really it should be compared to a Transit with the same equipment and the last time I did that the Transit was much more expensive. For a big guy it would have been nice to mention he could actually sit in the third row. He's still correct about the seats folding though.
Well he was on a roll, and clearly once he decided to trash it he was finding fault with all sorts of things that were just silly. But his job is to be entertaining - it's not high quality objective journalism.

About those overhead lights. When I was specking out mine I was frustrated when trying to choose between the "Premium Overhead Control Panel" and the "Overhead Panel Reading Lights" options, as there was no description anywhere I could find of just what the differences were. I went with the latter to get the reading light for the passenger, but I sure would have liked the LED lights too. So documentation could sure be improved. By the way, the Overhead Panel Reading Lights assembly does NOT move around like what Doug showed in his video - it's rock solid.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think Doug mis-classified the Metris, but so be it. My complaints on the Metris.
Middle seats are really not very comfortable for a long ride, would be nice if those seats had a recline function, that would make a huge difference.
No power outlets for the middle seats. I ended up adding a power converter so I can have AC power too, but having power or usb power would be nice for the rear passengers.
NO cup holder for the middle seats.... Really the middle seats are more like a school bus than anything else. Better comfort, armrest, cupholders, power, better AC control would all be good.
A center console would be nice.
Did I mention more power outlets?
A power lift gate would be nice, but then again , something else to break.
A better stereo, the stock sound system is pretty crap
Park Assist is a joke, I have never been able to get it to work
Bigger side mirrors
Otherwise I am very happy. It is a great hauler, and very easy to clean.

·
Registered
196 Posts
my two cents worth, Ford transit floor to high, build on the platform of Ford pickup. Nissan NV200 to small to convert into camper, did look at both before looking at Metris van. At $25,900 not $45,000 I have, cruise control,ex mirror power/heated and tons of other stuff listed on the bill of sale do have partition bar that I don't need and just purchased lumbar pillow at costco with excellent fit into the seat for $9.90 each, it has the space for 4x8 sheet of plywood or drywall where in the other minivans you get it? You can use it as pickup or a camper and it would be cheaper than other vans, not to mention oil exchange at 15K rather than 5K and 2 services worked into the price, 0 interest no penny down including . What I don't like? Unavailability of spare parts, no Metris on salvage yard to svap parts :-(
And it is true that my Jeep Patriot latitude X has more gadgets and is 2011 but that is the top model of Jeep, it's good to compare apples apples and not oranges. :) Here is an other person comparing.

·
Registered
81 Posts
He didn't even mention the worlds worst designed glove compartment. And it really is.
Huh? I mean, it's not great, but it doesn't seem any worse than any of the others I've had in GM cars. Pretty much only of use for the manual and your insurance tag.

·
Registered
112 Posts
He makes MANY good points about things that bother me but gets a bit petty and also didn't bother to learn his way around the vehicle before filing his review.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts