Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Whatever works! Though for me the whole reason for getting a Metris in the first place is to be able to transport recumbent bikes and trikes INSIDE the van.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Whatever works! Though for me the whole reason for getting a Metris in the first place is to be able to transport recumbent bikes and trikes INSIDE the van.
Well when you have 6 kids like me I'm sure our reasons for owning a van are different. I don't feel like yanking the seats out every time I want to take my bike to the lake. So hauling the bicycle OUTSIDE the van is the best option.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Well when you have 6 kids like me I'm sure our reasons for owning a van are different. I don't feel like yanking the seats out every time I want to take my bike to the lake. So hauling the bicycle OUTSIDE the van is the best option.
I hear you. And having taken the seat out once, I don't ever want to have to do that again - so it stays out. But just so non-cycling folks appreciate it, vans like the Metris (and the Transit Connect too) allow you to transport bikes inside UPRIGHT, not laying down. Try that with your typical mini van.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hear you. And having taken the seat out once, I don't ever want to have to do that again - so it stays out. But just so non-cycling folks appreciate it, vans like the Metris (and the Transit Connect too) allow you to transport bikes inside UPRIGHT, not laying down. Try that with your typical mini van.
It's great for hauling motorcycles too. :grin:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Are you using the factory hitch or an aftermarket one and are you able to open the hatch with the rack up (ie no bike on it).

Thanks! One-up make fantanstic racks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you using the factory hitch or an aftermarket one and are you able to open the hatch with the rack up (ie no bike on it).

Thanks! One-up make fantanstic racks.
I am using the factory hitch. Yes you can open the hatch when it is in the folded position but not like in the picture above. After installing the rack I realized I needed to have it slid further out of the hitch to be able to open the hatch. You have about 4-5 inches of adjustment to play with on the rack.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It is the best and easiest to use Rack!

I have a 1UP USA rack for 2 bikes and it has been great on my other vehicles! I Recently bought a Metris, but without a hitch.:frown: I thought about an aftermarket hitch but found that it may be too low under the rear bumper:frown: I hate to spend the cash to get a factory hitch installed, so for now, the 1Up is just sitting in the garage, and usable only on my other vehicles.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a 1UP USA rack for a tandem bike. You can buy a center extension for the single rack. Definitely a wide load, but does the job. All aluminum makes them light.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts