Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I've have owned many VW buses/vans in the past. My '71 Westfalia is great for camping/exercising my need for tinkering demons/standing around with my veedub buddies drinking beers, but not a people mover (especially in the Texas heat). My current daily driver is a '16 4Runner Trail Premium and love it dearly (also a huge fan of Toyota trucks), but with a growing family and aging parents, I'm looking for a people hauler that seats more than four and is easier to get in and out of. I bought an SUV with tons of off-road tech and capabilities, but I really don't need/use them (makes me feel cool though). I've looked at everything that the US market has to offer and despite lacking MANY things offered by the Sienna and Odyssey, I'm infatuated with the MB Metris. Why? I have yet been able to put it into words that makes any sense to my wife, but you guys probably know what I'm talking about. The utility of a vehicle built to work really appeals to me despite being rough around the edges.

So, here's the thing. I found a Metris locally that has everything I want (including the color - black) and nothing that I don't...at a price that is hard to believe compared to what MB says is MSRP (especially when considering the Sienna or Odyssey). I went for a test drive yesterday and was surprised at what the 2.0L turbo can do in this van (this was my initial concern being the American that I am). Well, that and the fit/comfort with me being 6'5" tall. I was sold, but still reluctant as I know nothing about these vans other than what Google and Youtube tell me. So, I go back later in the day for a second longer test drive. This time solo so that I could hear myself think (and...well...play a little rougher). I was still impressed with the performance and driving nature. My concern was the "cheapness" of the materials/controls and their ability to stand the test of time (I usually run things into the ground and expect 15+ years out of them). It really had quite a bit of creaking from the dash (rougher road produced an amazing amount of sounds from EVERYWHERE/EVERYTHING) and some metal on metal sounds from what I assume is the rear seat mechanisms (also, I found the rear cargo netting just sitting in the rear cargo area) and much more road and engine noise than I expected. I just did a 6700 mile road trip in my 4runner (longest single day was 1375 miles LA-->Austin). It was awesome...quite...smooth...comfortable. Toyota really makes a top notch product IMHO (the Sienna just doesn't accommodate a driver with size 15 shoes very well). I wonder if the sounds with fade as the materials "mate" a bit or will get worse and eventually make more "what was that" sounds than my Westy.

I really do appreciate all of the informative posts made here...I'm just looking for a hug and a "it will be fine, you'll get used to it...they're awesome despite some quirkiness".

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Most of those sounds can be cured with a bit of felt tape here and there- and your dealer could probably including an extensive felt-tape application as part of the price.

The plastic is not really "cheap", although it certainly isn't premium either. Its a hard plastic designed to be hard wearing for the kinds of situations a cargo/work van will find itself in. Softer plastics, while feeling nicer, tend to be prone to cuts, cracks, staining, and abrasion wear. Which is fine for a family-oriented minivan, less so for a plumber who throws his tools in and climbs in after working in someones sump pump. The Sprinter has similar plastics- check eBay for the kinds of wear high mileage examples have.

The Metris is a work van, and high road noise is going to be part of that. Although the stereo is adequate for dealing with it, in my opinion. The Metris is designed as a work van, but it can work as a family van if you go in with your eyes open. I think a few people have bought them thinking of it as a Mercedes sedan, which it isn't.

I love mine in every way. But then, seeing a Toyota badge makes my skin crawl. More reliable than a Mercedes, surely, but god are they DULL. And I've never driven a Toyota that inspires confidence at speeds higher than about 80, let alone the speeds I normally drive at!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've got a cargo Metris I ordered and have been fixing up into a camper van (foam board insulation). I've put 5k miles on it in a few months.

I wouldn't say it's a quiet ride, but I don't have any rattles. When I've got the A/C on and I'm humming along the interstate I do need to turn the radio up a bit. I've heard of a couple/few people who had rattling license plate holders, that would be the first thing to check.

How did you get along with the mirrors? I gather that most people add those stick-on little round convex mirrors. Supposedly they'll be a better passenger side mirror from Mercedes next year.

The Metris is a pleasure to drive. I wanted the space in the van, I didn't want an SUV. And this van is better than all the other vans near that price range. :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
I like a lot about my van...which now is closing in on 20,000 miles, but the rattles will make you crazy if that is a pet peeve. I took my 2001 VW Eurovan on a trip this week to help move some things for a friend and with 170K miles on it has less rattles than my Metris did from the start. Visibilty is also much better in my old VW. The stick on mirrors do help, but bugs me I need to slap a $2 mirror on a $40K vehicle to get decent visibility.

Also finding several plastic pieces in interior...dash and tops of doors, that are already warping from heat and sun. Worst is on rear sliding doors, where interior window sill is looking worse and worse every day.

Bottom line is I like the van but have been disappointed with some small issues.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I wonder how much Mercedes satisfaction varies from dealer satisfaction? I won't say I haven't had my issues, but it hasn't been that big a deal because I was always quickly out the door in a loaner, and all concerns were diligently pursued until solved.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts