Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am evaluating the feasibility of converting Metris to a REIMO "multi" style floor plan.

The key feature of the plan is the two rear seats that can be converted into two single beds. I found that a French company Scopema produces a 60cm version of so called "Neptune" chair that can function exactly as intended.

I have contacted several UK sellers, as well as Scopema directly, asking whether I can buy a pair from them. But the responses have been negative. Here is the response from Scopema:

thank you for your interest in our products, but I am sorry to inform you that we are not able to supply our products directly to the US market, as we don't have any conformity to the specific US standards, we only have the European homologations.
So we can only supply our products to the US market to companies who have made their own test with our products to pass the US certifications, but this US homologation his their own property.

Has anyone successfully buy RV seats from Europe? Is it not feasible procedure-wise or cost-wise?

Thank you for any lead or suggestion!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, Greenmanedlion.

I posted the same question in Sprinter forum and received similar advice that I could arrange shipping through freight forwarders. As this is all new to me, I am not sure whether the process or the cost make it infeasible. I will research more along this line...

·
Registered
58 Posts
We are a Scopema dealer here in Quebec, possibly the only one. The issue is that the seat must be installed by an approved conversion company, if I am correct, I believe Winnebago is also a Scopema dealer ( or rather purchases directly from Scopema ) , so you may want to contact them and see if they are able to help you out.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you, Genisis. By "approved conversion company", do you mean approved by Scopema or by Mercedes?

I don't think I have the skill or tool to install those chairs properly. Will need to find a quality shop for the installation and probably the whole conversion. Will you sell the chairs (a pair of 60cm Neptune 3P) if I locate an "approved" shop?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Approved by Scopema, Winnebago and another company are the only ones that are allowed to sell and install their seats in the USA. I know we are approved for Canada, we are able to sell the seats, but they must be either installed by us, or by one the 2 companies mentioned in the USA. We are not allowed to sell the seats without install, not sure where in the USA you are, but we are able to install it for you here in Montreal, or soon in Vancouver. The issue is in the liability, if installed incorrectly.

·
Banned
2,517 Posts
Legally, a company can't sell a part for an automobile that isn't approved for use. Small companies are let slide, but larger ones aren't. That doesn't prevent you for importing a seat from Germany theoretically for non automotive use (making a couch for instance). Most states, if not all of them, do not inspect interior components for compliance.

So you can buy the part, import it, and then install it in your car. I'm not sure if it is actually technically illegal to install it (it probably varies state to state) but you will likely never be caught.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Greenmanedlion, thank you for the perspective. I haven't thought about the legal aspect of this. I saw somewhere that only the front seats in the RV are regulated and there's no uniform regulation on the back seats. Guess may vary by states. Nevertheless, safety of the passengers should always be the highest priority regardless the legality...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Approved by Scopema, Winnebago and another company are the only ones that are allowed to sell and install their seats in the USA. I know we are approved for Canada, we are able to sell the seats, but they must be either installed by us, or by one the 2 companies mentioned in the USA. We are not allowed to sell the seats without install, not sure where in the USA you are, but we are able to install it for you here in Montreal, or soon in Vancouver. The issue is in the liability, if installed incorrectly.
Tried to PM you but can't (need 15 posts to get this function). Is there another way to contact you if you don't mind? Otherwise will wait after accumulating 15 posts. Thanks.

·
Banned
2,517 Posts
I didn't say anything about safety. I was talking about regulations, which in this country are often contrary to safety- we still use LATCH style baby anchors, for gods sake.

I can assure you that if you install German RV components as specified by the company that built it, it will be safer than any seat Toyota has installed in their vans and trucks, ever.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I didn't say anything about safety. I was talking about regulations, which in this country are often contrary to safety- we still use LATCH style baby anchors, for gods sake.

I can assure you that if you install German RV components as specified by the company that built it, it will be safer than any seat Toyota has installed in their vans and trucks, ever.
Can't agree more.

Regulation is important though with all the lawyers standing-by chasing the ambulance...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Another feature of the "Multi style" floor plan is the rear elevated pop-up roof. I have contacted a couple of shops in NA but unfortunately they all do front-elevated roof only. Like all camper parts, these roofs are plentiful in Europe. I found this UK company that produce spop-up roof, and from their website, appear willing to ship to the US at a reasonable price:

http://www.poptoproofs.co.uk/general.php

I emailed the company asking whether they indeed will ship to the US and whether they have roof for Metris. The company emailed back:

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Hello.

Yes we do ship to the US.

Could you send me some images of the vehicle and the dimensions of the width of the flat of your roof between the gutters and from the top of the windscreen to the back of the van.

We will see if we have a roof for your vehicle.
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I don't have Metris yet as I am still not sure whether my plan will work out. Can any of the Metris owners help take some pictures and do a quick measurement of the roof?

Appreciate the helps!

·
Registered
58 Posts
If you contact Jordan and tell him you want the same roof as Daniel at BrieBron in Montreal orders, its the correct fit for our North American Metris. They produce a wonderful product, no issues, we used it on the Metris, as well as Sprinter 144' 4 X4 conversions, never any issues, even with extensive off roading.

Good luck on your purchase,
Daniel

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you contact Jordan and tell him you want the same roof as Daniel at BrieBron in Montreal orders, its the correct fit for our North American Metris. They produce a wonderful product, no issues, we used it on the Metris, as well as Sprinter 144' 4 X4 conversions, never any issues, even with extensive off roading.

Good luck on your purchase,
Daniel
Thank you! I will let him know.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yes and no, I guess it all depends on the skill level. The first one is always the most difficult, but generally its not rocket science.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes and no, I guess it all depends on the skill level. The first one is always the most difficult, but generally its not rocket science.
Genisis - sent you a message yesterday. Please let me know if you can't receive. Thanks.

The thing is that most of DIYs would have limited chance to practice and the first try is often the most important...

·
Registered
2 Posts
QNF,

Have you had any luck importing a Scopema seat? I'm in a similar situation and trying to figure out my options.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts